Best motor for my ARP-9

scranage

Hello, 

New airsoft player who recently bought a g-and-g-armament-arp9-2-0-enhanced-combat-machine, I went to an event last weekend and was having motor overheating issues, what motor would you guys recommend for me to use on this gun to try and stop this from happening at next months event?

Thanks in advance 

If you purchased it new from a retailer, you might be best advised to send it back; there may be a fault causing the motor to overheat.

However, it is worth asking what you mean by "overheating issues"; what are the symptoms?

It's possibly the battery is too much for your motor or/and you're spamming the trigger.

The motor will naturally heat up (to a degree) as it's used, some are better than others at dealing with it.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, ButcherBill said:

It's possibly the battery is too much for your motor

That needs qualified. Guns will run hotter on 11.1V lipo than on 7.4V lipo or 9.6V life. However, when it comes to battery C ratings, higher is always better - the battery won't supply more current than the motor wants to draw.

And the ARP 9 2.0 recommends 11.1V, so it shouldn't be an issue.  We'll need to know more about what "motor overheating issues" actually means, and the use being made of it.  Running it like a support gun, or constant semi-auto trigger spamming will put heat in the motor.  What are the symptoms we're talking about here?

Motor heats up because of high current

High current because of high load

High load because of difficulty to spin

Difficulty to spin could be because motor is too low torque and/or too high mechanical resistance

Too high mechanical resistance could be anything in the gearbox

If it is new, I would try adjusting the motor height and see if it spins easier

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

If it is new, I would try adjusting the motor height and see if it spins easier

Good shout, this should be part of regular maintenance as well.

48 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good shout, this should be part of regular maintenance as well.

... just don't forget a little Loctite / threadlock on the motor height screw ;) 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

... just don't forget a little Loctite / threadlock on the motor height screw ;) 

I use PTFE tape. I mean, where doesn't it help?