Posting RIF’s

Delgado900

Hi all,

been a while since I’ve used the forum. I need to have a bit of a clear out of some of my kit.

who are the couriers/postal service to use when selling RIF’s. Need to make a few listings to shift some gear but want to make sure my postage costs are a.) the right price and b.) able to actually use them to send it. 

obviously gas will be emptied from magazines etc (luckily everything I need to shift is pistols) 

thanks in advance 

James 

Parcelforce 48. You can declare as a RIF but need to bring to the post office with ID etc. Pretty much the only one that explicitly allow it AFAIK

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Convert said:

You can declare as a RIF

<Ackchyually>

For retail customers "All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited"

For contract customers, "A service for Section 1 and 2 firearms and low-powered airguns (as defined by the Firearms Act 1968, as amended), imitation firearms, de-activated guns, antique firearms, paintball guns, and inert projectiles (not prohibited by s5 of the Firearms Act 1968 as amended) is available to contract customers only, at the absolute discretion of Parcelforce Worldwide, and is subject to Parcelforce Worldwide providing prior written agreement in advance."

</Ackchyually> 

Although in practice, Post Office counters seem happy to take RIFs, and to sell increased insurance on them beyond the £100 default. It may be that in this case the Post Office is acting as the contractual customer of Parcel Force, and that our contract is with Post Office Ltd. Or it may be that nobody really cares as long as they're getting paid.

As @Jez_Armstrongnotes, "low powered air weapon" is fine with ParcelFarce, so that's what I'd describe it as.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Delgado900 said:

Thanks guys really useful info! 

Well, the usual derailing. ;)  The tl;dr is "Parcel Force 48", although people can and do send via other couriers, declared as "sporting goods" or similar, insured for the real value.

If you do that, package it very well so that they can't damage it, and then it just becomes a question of whether they lose it or not, in which case they won't have any evidence that it was a no-no item.

*edit ive read back a little bit and realised this has already been covered… but im going to leave this here anyway*

If you look at the Royal Mail terms of carriage, they’ve removed most explicit mentions of Airsoft or RIF. The only reference states is must be sent via a service of first class or better. This must have been done this year because I posted a pistol last November and their ToC states no RIFs had to be sent guaranteed next day. This time around, that same paragraph has been removed.

In theory, if it fits into the small/medium package dimensions, you could send it via a Royal Mail tracked service that covers the value of your RIF (that probably means RM24/48 or guaranteed by 1pm.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-and-restricted-items---advice-for-personal-customers

Edited by MistakenMexican