Buying a GBBR from japan.

shatis

So I recently used Impulse101 to purchase a Akx & 5 extra magazines

From purchase to getting to the UK took 4days

It then sat with Border force for 8 weeks, until they sent me a letter asking for proof of my defence ,even though my Ukara number was clearly on the parcel and shipping documents , I replied with my Ukara number along with some booking confirmations from events. 

Another week went by and I got a letter and email explaining the charges I needed to pay which totalled £166 for  handling charges and import fees

in total the AKX with 5 mags inc postage and Border Force Charges totalled just over £800. 

It basically still worked out cheaper than buying the same items  from a UK store long as you don’t add on the time it sat in a warehouse in Coventry. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on buying a few Umarex KWA USP's from WGCShop, do they sort out the customs declaration and declare my UKARA or do I have to do that when the items arrive?

I've bought from Novritsch before and they've taken care of absolutely everything including all charges however Gunfire did absolutely nothing.

Just need to know what i'm getting myself in to here.

Edited by JuggyUK

6 minutes ago, JuggyUK said:

I'm planning on buying a few Umarex KWA USP's from WGCShop, do they sort out the customs declaration and declare my UKARA or do I have to do that when the items arrive?

I've bought from Novritsch before and they've taken care of absolutely everything including all charges however Gunfire did absolutely nothing.

Any item sent across international boundaries requires a customs declaration - so the sender must make a declaration

When it arrives at the border that existing declaration might suffice, but the recipient is the responsible party on any imported goods.  Its most likely that the recipient will be required to complete a declaration - even if it is just verifying the senders declaration 

Two key areas are covered:

1). Is the import allowed?

This covers whether the item is illegal / legal and also whether there are any qualifying requirements of the recipient 

(eg is it a U.K. legal RIF and does the recipient have a VCRA Defence ?)

2) Is there a tax/duty/fee to be paid for ?

Sometimes the sender handles payment of tax/duty/fees and supply paperwork with the declaration 

(You ought to already know this service is being provided at the point of sale - if not then the default is that you are liable as the importer

Sometimes a ‘handling agent’ acts as middle man

I had that last year with some custom gear, it was designed and manufactured overseas, sent to their U.K. rep, and I was contacted by him with the bill

(Rather than being a true agent on import, it was more of him acting as a U.K. retailer selling my custom gear to me after I had dealt with the overseas design house)

Provide your UKARA details in the notes, plus in your delivery address and assume that you will need to fill in a declaration confirming the import plus a bill for 20% UK VAT and handling fees

25 minutes ago, JuggyUK said:

Their checkout page gives you the answer:

Duties and Taxes

All product prices are exclusive of customs duties and taxes.

3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Their checkout page gives you the answer:

Duties and Taxes

All product prices are exclusive of customs duties and taxes.

3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

WGC have a notes section when you order where you can put your UKARA number.  You'll have to pay Parcel Force when customs charges are raised this end.

3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Any item sent across international boundaries requires a customs declaration - so the sender must make a declaration

When it arrives at the border that existing declaration might suffice, but the recipient is the responsible party on any imported goods.  Its most likely that the recipient will be required to complete a declaration - even if it is just verifying the senders declaration 

Two key areas are covered:

1). Is the import allowed?

This covers whether the item is illegal / legal and also whether there are any qualifying requirements of the recipient 

(eg is it a U.K. legal RIF and does the recipient have a VCRA Defence ?)

2) Is there a tax/duty/fee to be paid for ?

Sometimes the sender handles payment of tax/duty/fees and supply paperwork with the declaration 

(You ought to already know this service is being provided at the point of sale - if not then the default is that you are liable as the importer

Sometimes a ‘handling agent’ acts as middle man

I had that last year with some custom gear, it was designed and manufactured overseas, sent to their U.K. rep, and I was contacted by him with the bill

(Rather than being a true agent on import, it was more of him acting as a U.K. retailer selling my custom gear to me after I had dealt with the overseas design house)

Provide your UKARA details in the notes, plus in your delivery address and assume that you will need to fill in a declaration confirming the import plus a bill for 20% UK VAT and handling fees

Thank you, appreciate your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share my experience so far.

Ordered a pistol (153 GBP) from WGC Shop on the 9th of September, it shipped on the 12th and arrived in the UK on the 14th (Sat). I contacted UPS this morning (16th) to ask for the paperwork which I filled in and returned immediately.

Lets see how long the release takes.

16 hours ago, JuggyUK said:

Ordered a pistol (153 GBP) from WGC Shop on the 9th of September, it shipped on the 12th and arrived in the UK on the 14th (Sat). I contacted UPS this morning (16th) to ask for the paperwork which I filled in and returned immediately.

Got notice last night of fees to be paid, 34.48 for government taxes and 13.60 for brokerage.

It's now on hold with "Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed." status so I guess it's either in the process of being cleared or it's gone for velocity testing or similar.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, JuggyUK said:

gone for velocity testing or similar.

It'll be lack of staff to clear items.

How does it stack up cost wise with all the added fees and tax?

27 minutes ago, Lozart said:

It'll be lack of staff to clear items.

How does it stack up cost wise with all the added fees and tax?

I couldn't find the Umarex / KWA USP Tactical locally so I really had no choice but to import. I am collecting the series from Umarex / KWA (USP Tactical, USP Tactical Compact, USP .45, USP Compact, USP Match and HK .45)

Hoever the ones I did manage to get locally, USP .45 and the USP Compact were both around 160 so importing is quite a bit more expensive.

On 16/09/2024 at 16:24, JuggyUK said:

Overall a pretty good experience. I did need to call UPS when I realised they had the item on hold, this was not indicated in the tracking information. Once I spoke to an agent, they emailed me the customs declaration which I returned within an hour. After that it was plain sailing.

I paid the fees on the 16th, it went for clearance on the 17th and was delivered on the 18th which is 9 days since I ordered.

Ordered - 9th

Shipped - 12th

Arrived - 14th

Clearance submitted - 16th

Fees paid - 16th

Clearance process - 17th

Delivery - 18th

Pistol - 117

Shipping - 36

Government fees - 34

Brockerage - 14

Total - 201

About 25% more expensive than purchasing locally if the item was available.

Edited by JuggyUK