Moving back to the UK, shipping laws/experience

Hazzaa

Hello, first post here.

I am a British citizen currently living and working in Toronto Canada,

I have a few airsoft RIFs in my possession, I don't currently have any immediate plans to move back to the UK right now, however with work, it is always a possibility. Has anyone had any experience with moving to the UK with airsoft RIFs and equipment?

I used to play when I lived in the UK, a site near Warminster which sadly shut down a year or so ago. I would also imagine my UKARA has long since expired.

Any help or advice would be fantast.

12 minutes ago, Hazzaa said:

Hello, first post here.

I am a British citizen currently living and working in Toronto Canada,

I have a few airsoft RIFs in my possession, I don't currently have any immediate plans to move back to the UK right now, however with work, it is always a possibility. Has anyone had any experience with moving to the UK with airsoft RIFs and equipment?

I used to play when I lived in the UK, a site near Warminster which sadly shut down a year or so ago. I would also imagine my UKARA has long since expired.

Any help or advice would be fantast.

Your reason for importing would be for the purpose of Airsoft skirmishing, therefore under VCRA terms you would be within the law

But without UKARA - and obviously without the ability to play until you get here - you won’t have the common documentation method that they would use to validate 

….. now is the time for one of the previous travellers to post up their experiences - these are fairly common questions about bringing RIFs across borders but the final experience rarely gets fed back

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Your reason for importing would be for the purpose of Airsoft skirmishing, therefore under VCRA terms you would be within the law

But without UKARA - and obviously without the ability to play until you get here - you won’t have the common documentation method that they would use to validate 

….. now is the time for one of the previous travellers to post up their experiences - these are fairly common questions about bringing RIFs across borders but the final experience rarely gets fed back

Thanks for the response,

Yes I saw a few about crossing borders by land or sea for visits but not for moving with the rest of the persons belongings as such. 

I used to have a UKARA number, but the site it was tied to no longer exists and it hasn't been renewed in maybe 6+ years.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tommikka said:

the final experience rarely gets fed back

Indeed, it's a question often asked and rarely answered.  Border Force and the couriers seem have cracked down on this recently and there's a real risk that anything remotely gun-shaped will be seized and destroyed.

If you have someone in Canadia who can post them on once you can adduce a solid defence, that's one option. The other gamble is to bring them in person (getting them on the flight is an exercise for the reader) and bring a fat folio of evidence that you have been, and will be, airsofting, i.e. booking information for events in Canada and the UK.  Maybe even join the Shooters' Rights Association and wave the public liability insurance documents at them confidently - meaningless, really, but it's a process of convincing them that you're a good egg.

I always wondered if booking a place on a game day a few days after you traveled would be enough? Obviously you should actually play the game day but is that enough to give you a defense?

55 minutes ago, BigStew said:

I always wondered if booking a place on a game day a few days after you traveled would be enough? Obviously you should actually play the game day but is that enough to give you a defense?

On the basis of ‘skirmishing at an insured site’ - technically yes

Between the lines on the intent of ‘realistic look for immersive skirmishing’ then one booking doesn’t prove anything - you could be going on a stag do where bright orange site supplied IFs do the job (hence the VCRbill consultation proposed time window and UKARA time window)

With the ‘actual’ defence being intent to skirmish it really comes down to ‘can you convince the person you’re trying to convince’? —- and that will vary 

On a semi related note, when crossing a border anyone may have to convince immigration on intent, eg as a tourist by having accommodation booked, a return ticket and enough funds to last that period of time - and anyone could be sent back on the next flight out if they aren’t convinced 

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

On the basis of ‘skirmishing at an insured site’ - technically yes

Between the lines on the intent of ‘realistic look for immersive skirmishing’ then one booking doesn’t prove anything - you could be going on a stag do where bright orange site supplied IFs do the job (hence the VCRbill consultation proposed time window and UKARA time window)

With the ‘actual’ defence being intent to skirmish it really comes down to ‘can you convince the person you’re trying to convince’? —- and that will vary 

On a semi related note, when crossing a border anyone may have to convince immigration on intent, eg as a tourist by having accommodation booked, a return ticket and enough funds to last that period of time - and anyone could be sent back on the next flight out if they aren’t convinced 

would showing I have had a UKARA in the past, along with bookings... hell even photo evidence of me taking part in skermishes in the past. It's a shame I can't get the site owner to write a statement or something, given that the site no longer exists and I think Covid got him.

I'd rather not fly with the guns, explaining to security "Yes this is an airsoft desert eagle... yes it is all metal and yes that is also my shorty gas shotgun." Doesn't sound very entertaining. Of course, the other option is going through a shipping container with the rest of my stuff, at that point, I would have to tell the carrier what it is, probably have them packed up seperately in a gun case with the documentation of "They're not real officer, I swear" to which, that isn't a certainty either. 

25 minutes ago, Hazzaa said:
25 minutes ago, Hazzaa said:

would showing I have had a UKARA in the past, along with bookings... hell even photo evidence of me taking part in skermishes in the past.

In theory yes

They would document a history of, and imply an intention to “skirmish at an insured site”

But that’s up to Border Force, and especially the individuals of Border Force/ the carrier that handle passing through customs - whether that’s in luggage or by container.  The relevant import documents would declare contents and relevant justifications

eg - declaring a RIF as UK legal, with a VCRA defence (skirmishing), but due to circumstances without UKARA - which is not a legal requirement but the most recognised defence

Possession is perfectly fine with an expired UKARA (or even without ever having UKARA

Your ‘problem’ is the confidence of documenting/justifying the import part of VCRA which has the same defence on intent to skirmish at an insured site  

(Something none of us has commented on, is if you have any accessories that may have arms export/import restrictions - these can flag on the most obscure point)

4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

(Something none of us has commented on, is if you have any accessories that may have arms export/import restrictions - these can flag on the most obscure point)

At the moment it's just the pistol and gas shotgun... unless laws have changed recently. FPS limits might be an issue? I'd need to check them over again.

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Hazzaa said:

FPS limits might be an issue?

The UK limits for an airgun to be classed as non-firearm airsoft gun are 2.5 Joules for single / semi guns, and 1.3 Joules for auto-capable guns.

I'm sorry that we can't say anything with certainty, but every case of individual importation seems to be a little different, depending on where the RIFs (or parts) are spotted, and by who.

We've seen everything from them sailing through, to being asked to fill in a declaration, to being asked for a UKARA number, to the police showing up at people's door long after the import in order to check on it.  It's a complete lottery.

Unless it's a rif you spent loads of cash, time & tlc on that you simply couldn't live without my advice would be... Sell them, give them away or leave with a friend then get your UKARA once here & buy new or used. It's probably not worth the hassle, crossing 2 borders with a deagle & a shottie and a load of paperwork that's well out of date.