Begining Wepons & starter tips

I'm thinking either a smg or assault rifle preferably one with a RIS system. If i wanted to put a tracer unit on it am i right in thinking i need to make sure it has threaded barrel ?

I'm thinking maybe a SPECNA ARMS RRA SA-E07-L EDGE or somthing like it. Dose a longer barrel make a diffrence ?, What are good brands ? I'v head nurprol are just rebrands.

• Supporters

Barrel length doesn't make that much difference, 250mm is more than sufficient for an AEG.  Most M4s and many SMGs will have a 14mm CCW threaded flash hider that you can replace with a tracer.

Yes, Nuprol is just a rebrander, and both Raven and Vorsk are sub-brands of Nuprol - best to be avoided.

Specna Arms are fine, but if that's your budget I'd push it a little higher to get one of the EDGE 2.0 models with a very decent fire control system.  Another decent choice around the £200 mark are the Double Eagle M9xx guns with the Falcon fire control system. 

I've bought three starter RIF's in the last 6 months for myself, son and daughter. One G&G Raider and two Specna Arms, one Flex and the other Daniel Defense Core. The Specna Arms definitely feel nicer to use with better triggers, they also seem a little more accurate. All were under £180 each.

I will replace my CM16 at some point but to be honest still having loads of fun with it and will only replace with a better rifle when it breaks. 

I'll second the vote for any of the Specna Edge 2.0 models or the Double Eagle Falcon equipped RIFs.  I wouldn't buy something without a proper ETU (Electronic Trigger Unit) these days and the Aster in the Edge 2.0s and the Falcon in the Double Eagles are both solid, well featured units.  The X-ASR in the plain Specna Edge models is reportedly crap and prone to failure so I'd avoid them.

Airsoft internal barrel length is largely academic and the performance variations between the extremes of barrel length are minimal.  Handgaurd and outer barrel lengh are going to be more significant in terms of ergonomics.  Do you want a long gun with lots of rail space or do you want something shorter that you can use in CQB environments?

Have you played a game yet? If not then I suggest renting for a couple of games. This will help you determine what suits you best. Also you'll be able to see what others are using and can ask about anything you like the look of. Most airsofters are happy to show off and talk about their guns. Also getting site membership first means you won't be stuck having to buy a two tone.

I don't own any of the Edge range of specna arms guns but I do have one from the Core range and I'm more than happy with it for both build quality and performance.

As others have posted, barrel length makes bugger all difference in airsoft so go with whatever length you prefer

Good tactics. Try before you buy👍

@Gunboat Diplomat I’m not to sure, I definitely want a red dot and tracer unit. I like to play outside with proper tactics. I used to be in army cadets so I would be better in that environment.eventually I think I would get a cqb and assault type. Il take your guys advice and make sure I get a good one though