What's the sturdiest G36?

Hi all,

I'm an owner of a JG G36K that I've had for a little while now - we've had our ups and downs, and it's had plenty of money thrown at it to make it good. One thing that's always bugged me was how creaky and plastic-y it's always felt so after deliberating on ordering replacement parts to hopefully fix all the creaking I just realised I had a ship of theseus situation on my hands and that it'd probably be a better idea to purchase a brand new base gun and just simply swap all the fancy bits over, leaving the original as a nice little spare backup of sorts.

That leaves the question - which one? I've heard nightmare stories about the S&T (@JinxDuh...) and I'd need one that is ideally fully compatible with the JG so I can swap over parts interchangably so I still have a spare backup gun when it's said and done.

To be honest, the S&T isn't bad - Unless you want to modify it. The hop is annoying and only one really works with it (Begadi, so big bucks). Both of my stock S&T's do run lovely though, and the EBB is quite fun on the MG36 🤤 Most of the issues I ran into was because I was changing brand parts over and trying to make them work, which ultimately didn't. 

Sadly, the best feeling one (Imho) is the Umarex/Ares G36X - However, internally it's Ares. Closely followed by the new generation S&T. 

Out of the 11 G36's I've had, I would personally put them in this order from best to worst:

• JG - Works great, dirt cheap and takes the most upgradeable parts just don't snap the selector plate.
  • Umarex/Ares (Although currently mine has an S&T stock gearbox in it) - Mainly biased because it takes the Ultima industries handguard so I can have a legit G36KA4.
  • S&T - I've had 4, and all of them have ran great out of the box with no issues at all.
  • Cyma - Surprisingly, being cyma they're not as great as I would have hoped.
  • Specna - Feels awful, like... really plasticy. Shot alright but I would definitely not buy another. Also really picky with what mags it will feed.

The WE GBBR is undoubtedly on the top, but that's kind of to be expected.

Classic Army is probably the best TM spec G36, great externals and mostly in spec, gears are a little cheese metal and can strip but easily replaced. Fits a real steel handguard with no mods too, JG always seemed a little different shape and needs some persuasion for it to fit. 

AP1GczN7cmjn0mxNt3nDApa95PgQBA62NWHlhH_plOeRn712tIzD4KvqAWDXlEcrspfPkW8vrMLuXVGzPYaB_9QeJ1tWYL9Ha5wz800OhgMVshPEo1WHGjUvOXxeiWNIwQuoqcb1IKjHNVAa9B18V3QOATkJ3YjkcPbYdCygGV027h2Qn4cgAvsf-35DcjcFRZ6nUFQ6dL-R8mCeNjC9mH0AY3_PM-kopNvX-qWd32xE0QPF1Rl8uDjONf59kPz09c27p-mYyJTyEfCR4QKp1mBhf60HH7jUV1sIFEI2slUbsDR_MWkGK6zBcEa-7bv3Y5llvtOb-8BYgQK0SP_S8_iX-lNtueBv-b7qCPkTWBYlzu1advRAPFIKZveQpfqvivbbxuajToyyKaGOzSGgQJXQ2iJuGv5nKycOrcf-mBPk6XpO1iIuXzOTNAtdz1ldEIf_kjvILvr83kn5KMd60lX-odqTaoatLhvmOmNn3v4L2859fOBgM7VDcRrY-RAu5EOUd2rsJQrtQLD4MCGsBvcW18ARDIB58WY3US3QHbRvLyS-W8FbsJZYCppZhDZQ53gj9U7wfRx_ZVGx-_q1eyZ_hoUrMPuEPX_yb4J2NFA_stmpASoF0Yu21la4n-MKTh_maM66bLrgoRE7jM8mQHXjw0FFCWGaI7Y6U4OmvN_QlO_6inD1eCqkHyKYe3ZBSf4KFdqqIqLxFmELJ6TcgoD-4VBNUzXx5rrpDwov7Vku7rmuVK6pJtXId2hekRe7O4Nr7PUvEjJMBQt4wK-cAoYM16nnFfWFEWmdPfdmR6A-6O7--dLMvMyOLqVJEnKCygW0qpd_1BwuEM00FP4pyWBFynjqJO3ieibhEXU18GTDrXXbG6heINyLr9t__qh-7k_OIfzXr_9dvNZjYtqJ2eAk_93sv4c-zu_f7WvWN9mLmYT_y-LRSB4NdbngV-Vujx8=w1718-h1294-s-no-gm?authuser=0

12 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

To be honest, the S&T isn't bad - Unless you want to modify it. The hop is annoying and only one really works with it (Begadi, so big bucks). Both of my stock S&T's do run lovely though, and the EBB is quite fun on the MG36 🤤 Most of the issues I ran into was because I was changing brand parts over and trying to make them work, which ultimately didn't. 

Sadly, the best feeling one (Imho) is the Umarex/Ares G36X - However, internally it's Ares. Closely followed by the new generation S&T. 

Out of the 11 G36's I've had, I would personally put them in this order from best to worst:

• JG - Works great, dirt cheap and takes the most upgradeable parts just don't snap the selector plate.
  • Umarex/Ares (Although currently mine has an S&T stock gearbox in it) - Mainly biased because it takes the Ultima industries handguard so I can have a legit G36KA4.
  • S&T - I've had 4, and all of them have ran great out of the box with no issues at all.
  • Cyma - Surprisingly, being cyma they're not as great as I would have hoped.
  • Specna - Feels awful, like... really plasticy. Shot alright but I would definitely not buy another. Also really picky with what mags it will feed.

The WE GBBR is undoubtedly on the top, but that's kind of to be expected.

I would've thought the spenca would've been decently solid externals wise - I bought a KV stock and Hensoldt style carryhandle dot/scope from a regular at the site I play at and it's distinctly nylon-y non shiny plastic. Appreciate the insight though - strange to hear your thoughts on the S&T from the horse's mouth considering the nightmare fuel that was your KA4 build...

10 hours ago, mp5a4 said:

Classic Army is probably the best TM spec G36, great externals and mostly in spec, gears are a little cheese metal and can strip but easily replaced. Fits a real steel handguard with no mods too, JG always seemed a little different shape and needs some persuasion for it to fit. 

AP1GczN7cmjn0mxNt3nDApa95PgQBA62NWHlhH_plOeRn712tIzD4KvqAWDXlEcrspfPkW8vrMLuXVGzPYaB_9QeJ1tWYL9Ha5wz800OhgMVshPEo1WHGjUvOXxeiWNIwQuoqcb1IKjHNVAa9B18V3QOATkJ3YjkcPbYdCygGV027h2Qn4cgAvsf-35DcjcFRZ6nUFQ6dL-R8mCeNjC9mH0AY3_PM-kopNvX-qWd32xE0QPF1Rl8uDjONf59kPz09c27p-mYyJTyEfCR4QKp1mBhf60HH7jUV1sIFEI2slUbsDR_MWkGK6zBcEa-7bv3Y5llvtOb-8BYgQK0SP_S8_iX-lNtueBv-b7qCPkTWBYlzu1advRAPFIKZveQpfqvivbbxuajToyyKaGOzSGgQJXQ2iJuGv5nKycOrcf-mBPk6XpO1iIuXzOTNAtdz1ldEIf_kjvILvr83kn5KMd60lX-odqTaoatLhvmOmNn3v4L2859fOBgM7VDcRrY-RAu5EOUd2rsJQrtQLD4MCGsBvcW18ARDIB58WY3US3QHbRvLyS-W8FbsJZYCppZhDZQ53gj9U7wfRx_ZVGx-_q1eyZ_hoUrMPuEPX_yb4J2NFA_stmpASoF0Yu21la4n-MKTh_maM66bLrgoRE7jM8mQHXjw0FFCWGaI7Y6U4OmvN_QlO_6inD1eCqkHyKYe3ZBSf4KFdqqIqLxFmELJ6TcgoD-4VBNUzXx5rrpDwov7Vku7rmuVK6pJtXId2hekRe7O4Nr7PUvEjJMBQt4wK-cAoYM16nnFfWFEWmdPfdmR6A-6O7--dLMvMyOLqVJEnKCygW0qpd_1BwuEM00FP4pyWBFynjqJO3ieibhEXU18GTDrXXbG6heINyLr9t__qh-7k_OIfzXr_9dvNZjYtqJ2eAk_93sv4c-zu_f7WvWN9mLmYT_y-LRSB4NdbngV-Vujx8=w1718-h1294-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Sportline? Proline? I'm exclusively after external quality as all the internals from my current JG (13:1s, perun hybrid etc) are going in so if there's no difference between the bodies quality wise I'll go with what's cheaper.

Do they only do G36Cs? Or do they do the longer variants too? Can't seem to find much information on them to be honest, considering the age of them.

18 minutes ago, pyromancer6 said:

KA4 build

All of that work, swearing and paint just to fit a handguard 🤣 Truthfully now, my Ares outer with S&T gearbox (And a bunch of fancy parts) is great - Obviously

Fitting a JG gearbox into the S&T is as simple as can be too, it’s just needs the little tab removed off the back of the JG gearbox iirc

I have a cyma g36 with a custom M4 adapter I made and it's been working really well. Just had to remove the springy bit of the top of the hop unit which created feeding issues and it's been smooth sailing since.

Although, you will have to do modifications (filing at most) to accept aftermarket hop units as they don't quite mate with the gearbox that well.

Edited by AK47frizzle

On 27/06/2024 at 11:59, pyromancer6 said:

Sportline? Proline? I'm exclusively after external quality as all the internals from my current JG (13:1s, perun hybrid etc) are going in so if there's no difference between the bodies quality wise I'll go with what's cheaper.

Do they only do G36Cs? Or do they do the longer variants too? Can't seem to find much information on them to be honest, considering the age of them.

Good question, mine is about 18 years old, I'd assume it'll be the proline, and the newer sportline will be different. 

I believe the S&T ones are OEM'd by Ares, if yu peal the model id sticker off on the right hand side it may have the actual HK Trades underneath.  I used to have the  Ares G36K in tan, years ago I had the G36.  The feel of them is ace.never had a problem with the internals but didn't use em much, preferred 416.  The EBB was surpassingly fun but no where near the fun level of recoil guns of GBB's.  BAck in the day loads of sites used the Dboys G36C as rentals, they where very tough and lasted for ages.  The KWA one also had a good reputation, more in the US iirc.  KWA are bringing it back I believe so it could be worth a look.  But if you want the best G36 ( well second best obviously ), forget WE/AA get the VFC GBBr.