New Gun, New Battery, Newbie.

Kb24

Recently bought a Umarex HK416 A5 RAL 8000. Said in the manual it can take 7.4v or 11.1v Lipo’s however P.B recommend 7.4V.

I Had opted for a Nurpol 7.4v 1450mah 30c Lipo which was a slightly higher C rating then one recommended on P.B 

Upon testing after a while on full auto it started smoking from trigger area. Long story short have sent it back and got a new one sent out under warranty.

However my question is could it possibly have been the battery I was using or was the Rif most likely a Lemon?!

Any Help Appreciated 😌

• Supporters

What's a "while on full auto" ?, if your doing more than 3 second bursts max, that's a lot of cycles, & potentially a lot of arcing of trigger contacts ?, hence the smoke.

Battery could be an issue also, you said it was rated higher than recommended,  nuprol aren't known for great qc, it could potentially be running higher C rating than stated.

If the smoke was coming from the trigger then I doubt it was the battery as they're in the stock. I'd say it was a problem with either the wiring or the motor.

Imo you did the right thing sending it back. Too many people in this hobby are happy to buy something, find out it doesn't work and then spend more on fixing it.  As far as I'm concerned, if I'm spending several hundred quid on something it had better work out of the box or it's going back

• Supporters

Or maybe you just bought a lemon 🍋  ?

24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

What's a "while on full auto" ?, if your doing more than 3 second bursts max, that's a lot of cycles, & potentially a lot of arcing of trigger contacts ?, hence the smoke.

Battery could be an issue also, you said it was rated higher than recommended,  nuprol aren't known for great qc, it could potentially be running higher C rating than stated.

Was like 3 seconds burst but over and over again. Not to sure if it was arching as completely stoped working as if it shorted itself or the motor burnt out 

24 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

If the smoke was coming from the trigger then I doubt it was the battery as they're in the stock. I'd say it was a problem with either the wiring or the motor.

Imo you did the right thing sending it back. Too many people in this hobby are happy to buy something, find out it doesn't work and then spend more on fixing it.  As far as I'm concerned, if I'm spending several hundred quid on something it had better work out of the box or it's going back

You know this 😅 think it may of shorted itself as stopped working completely but not 💯% just wanted to confirm if it was any possibility that the battery c rating was to high suggested was to use a 7.4v 1300mAh 20c so not a major increase 

39 minutes ago, Tackle said:

nuprol aren't known for great qc

Preach! I think that the nuprol battery I bought as a newbie fell apart 🤔

3 hours ago, Gryph said:

Preach! I think that the nuprol battery I bought as a newbie fell apart 🤔

9/10 if I stick a nuprol battery in one of my replicas with a gate titan it throws up errors after a little while of use, same as my fathers with different batteries (still nuprol)

Posted (edited)

Nuprol use the same cells in thier batteries as everyone else. The only batteries I've found that seem to be better are the turnigy nanotech ones, unless you count the great drone ones.

Too low an internal resistance, read high C, doesn't happen on a battery, only the voltage.

Use a MOSFET to save the contacts and if a MOSFET let's out it's smoke, it's still not the battery.

The only way a battery can do bad things is if it's connected the wrong way round.

Edited by Sewdhull