Recommendations for a sniper rifle

As I am already running around (actually more crawling and less running) like half a bush I thought I might as well try a sniper rifle.

I like the idea of a lightweight sniper rifle like the SSG10 A3 (short) or the Silverback TAC41a.

I’ve only seen the TAC41a in real so far and while I think it looks ok I wasn’t impressed by the ‘sharpish’ edges of the plastic close to the barrel.

I also found the grip to be quite small for my hand. Does anyone know whether you can replace the grip on the TAC41a?

The SSG10 would probably need a TDC 2.0 but that isn’t too expensive.

Another gun I like the look of is the SSG96 MK2. I prefer the new hop up they are using in that one so might not need any upgrades early on. But the SSG96 is a lot heavier than the SSG10 A3. If you mainly laying prone it won’t matter but because of my screwed up back I can’t lay prone for too long so I would end up having to lift up the gun a lot of the time.

What other lightweight good performing options are there that don’t break the bank (the TAC41 is towards the upper end (actually slightly above) of what I want to pay).

Has anyone got first hand experience of any of these snipers?

Please don’t give me ‘Novritsch sucks, is just a rebranded JG’ or whatever because you have read it somewhere on the internet. If you have first hand experience then please respond but I don’t want this to be a discussion of the Novritsch brand. 

I know that a Silverback TAC41 L is coming out later this year which might be an option (can you actually screw a cheekmount on the stock?). Does anyone know the release date and price?

I was thinking of moving my Vortex 1-4x LPVO to the sniper, It might look a bit ‘small’ on the bigger sniper rifles.

Edited by ParHunter

Obligatory "oMg nOvrITsCH gNUs ARe sHiT!"

Anyway, now that's over, the SSG10 is basically a cost-effective VSR that will perform decently well out of the box. Sure, there are a bunch of upgrades you can do, but they aren't too necessary if you don't want to. TDC is a good shout, as I don't know what the hop unit in the SSG10 is like, but the standard VSR one is crap and the Action Army one is a pain in thearse to adjust. TDC is a good shout and isn't too pricey, maybe a hop rubber to go with it as that's also not too pricey.

Also, yes, they're super lightweight. It's probably the best thing about the VSR platform (besides the copious amount of aftermarket parts available)

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

the Action Army one is a pain in the arse to adjust. TDC is a good shout and isn't too pricey.

TTI make a TDC unit that includes a drilling guide, drill bit, hop unit (that's very similar to the Action Army one) and an external hop adjustment wheel for about the same price as the Action Army hop unit. Generally it's around £50.

As for ParHunter, if it's of any interest to you; AirsoftWorld are selling the Action Army T11 for £110. If i'm not mistaken, it comes standard with a 90 degree trigger which are pretty pricey on their own. Buying cheaper and upgrading could be worth a look.

Edited by MrTea

7 hours ago, ParHunter said:

As I am already running around (actually more crawling and less running) like half a bush I thought I might as well try a sniper rifle.

I like the idea of a lightweight sniper rifle like the SSG10 A3 (short) or the Silverback TAC41a.

I’ve only seen the TAC41a in real so far and while I think it looks ok I wasn’t impressed by the ‘sharpish’ edges of the plastic close to the barrel.

I also found the grip to be quite small for my hand. Does anyone know whether you can replace the grip on the TAC41a?

The SSG10 would probably need a TDC 2.0 but that isn’t too expensive.

Another gun I like the look of is the SSG96 MK2. I prefer the new hop up they are using in that one so might not need any upgrades early on. But the SSG96 is a lot heavier than the SSG10 A3. If you mainly laying prone it won’t matter but because of my screwed up back I can’t lay prone for too long so I would end up having to lift up the gun a lot of the time.

What other lightweight good performing options are there that don’t break the bank (the TAC41 is towards the upper end (actually slightly above) of what I want to pay).

Has anyone got first hand experience of any of these snipers?

Please don’t give me ‘Novritsch sucks, is just a rebranded JG’ or whatever because you have read it somewhere on the internet. If you have first hand experience then please respond but I don’t want this to be a discussion of the Novritsch brand. 

I know that a Silverback TAC41 L is coming out later this year which might be an option (can you actually screw a cheekmount on the stock?). Does anyone know the release date and price?

I was thinking of moving my Vortex 1-4x LPVO to the sniper, It might look a bit ‘small’ on the bigger sniper rifles.

ASG steyr scout ,has tdc grub , and is light weight  and is best out of the box out of the top 3 out of the box sniper muskets you can get on the market. the tac 41 can have feeding ramp problems that you have to replace, and the srs needs fast hop installed and cant have a tdc. when you are playing long range sniper musket you don't need to laydown you already out range everyone as long as you have set hop and using the best weight ammo  , you should be mk 1 eyeballing people @ 80m+ easy on a non windy day , ditch the bush , hinders your ability to causally move in the back field to pick targets , the whole point of long range sniper air musket is to ping at long range  and if you are shooting at people 40/50m you doing it wrong ;) also , this sounds silly but your optic is not really for shooting its for looking at the  round as it goes down range so you can adjust the next shot .

Edited by mrfoxhound

26 minutes ago, mrfoxhound said:

he tac 41 can have feeding ramp problems that you have to replace

You may be referring to the v1 issues, new tacs come with the new feed ramp (clear red). 

• Supporters
9 hours ago, mrfoxhound said:

the tac 41 can have feeding ramp problems

Long since solved.

Steyr Scout is a good shout though, owners seem very happy with them.