2 way radio

Almaddog

40 minutes ago, Almaddog said:

Looking for suggestions for a good 2 way radio what do u recons d guys 

For what, and to talk to who?

One radio for you or a set for a group?

Generic PMRs are fully legal, require no licence and transmit/receive on the common frequencies.

They are available in various sizes and looks, different models / manufacturers handsets can take remote headset/microphones in either specific or industry standard fittings, and though most will take their own custom battery of various capacities some can have compatible spare batteries available and a number can take ordinary AAs or AAAs if you need some extra life when you can’t recharge 

This Thread might be handy for you:

Many good options, cheap (but good) baofengs can be had for under £15 - on the likes of aliexpress - e.g. the venerable UV5R, or the newer UV13 pro - just make sure that you take the time to programme them to frequencies that aren't going to annoy people (i.e. PMR446).

On 28/03/2024 at 09:00, The_Lord_Poncho said:

This Thread might be handy for you:

Many good options, cheap (but good) baofengs can be had for under £15 - on the likes of aliexpress - e.g. the venerable UV5R, or the newer UV13 pro - just make sure that you take the time to programme them to frequencies that aren't going to annoy people (i.e. PMR446).

You can't use a UV5R on PMR 446 frequencies legally because the UV5R puts out 5w which is over the mikitnfor someone without a licence 

Get UV-5R's and a business license from OFCOM and use the designated frequencies they assign the licence to cover your arse, it's like £75 for 5 years and you can have unlimited people under it 

2 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

You can't use a UV5R on PMR 446 frequencies legally because the UV5R puts out 5w which is over the mikitnfor someone without a licence 

Get UV-5R's and a business license from OFCOM and use the designated frequencies they assign the licence to cover your arse, it's like £75 for 5 years and you can have unlimited people under it 

You are absolutely right of course. If ever there was a useful selling point for UKAPU or similar, this would be it. For a very low outlay, they could take out a licence, and then advertise the ability for their members to use the frequencies assigned to them....

Albeit, I confess to never having heard of anyone successfully prosecuted for using a Baofeng on PMR446 frequencies - that's not to say that it hasn't happened.

8 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

You are absolutely right of course. If ever there was a useful selling point for UKAPU or similar, this would be it. For a very low outlay, they could take out a licence, and then advertise the ability for their members to use the frequencies assigned to them....

Albeit, I confess to never having heard of anyone successfully prosecuted for using a Baofeng on PMR446 frequencies - that's not to say that it hasn't happened.

Probably because 5w in the woods isn't effecting anyone but as a licensed ham radio licence holder I understand why these things should be regulated