Returning to Airsoft

Caj109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, Ive not played airsoft in a few years, but planning on getting back into it come spring.

My gun and other bits have been on the loft all this time. Would it be wise to get my gun looked over by a tech before using again? And worth binning my bbs I have in the case in the bottle container? I might look at getting .28s going forward.

Plus my lipo batteries were put into storage mode using my B6 Imax charge when I last played, would these be fine to use still or replace? Can get the charger out to check them over. Last time I checked them no bulging.

Any other things to do before coming back?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Caj109 said:

Hello, Ive not played airsoft in a few years, but planning on getting back into it come spring.

My gun and other bits have been on the loft all this time. Would it be wise to get my gun looked over by a tech before using again? And worth binning my bbs I have in the case in the bottle container? I might look at getting .28s going forward.

Plus my lipo batteries were put into storage mode using my B6 Imax charge when I last played, would these be fine to use still or replace? Can get the charger out to check them over. Last time I checked them no bulging.

Any other things to do before coming back?

Thanks

Try charging the batteries to see how they go; if they are ok, try the gun.  As it has been out of use for a few years, you might need to change the hop rubber and seals and it could possibly do with regreasing, but that all depends on what happens when you try shooting it.

Give the BBs a visual check to see if they look ok.

13 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Try charging the batteries to see how they go; if they are ok, try the gun.  As it has been out of use for a few years, you might need to change the hop rubber and seals and it could possibly do with regreasing, but that all depends on what happens when you try shooting it.

Give the BBs a visual check to see if they look ok.

Thanks! Yeah I think I might just get the gun into a tech in the new year to service it and do other bits. Would the spring be naff now its been sat under tension?

I'll grab the charger down and have a look

Tbh the bbs are 0.25 and gonna look at 0.28s going forward so will see

Cheers

• Supporters

Welcome back. You won't know until you've shot it a bit, but I wouldn't be paying a generic "tech" to do generic tasks.  Some specific individuals are good at some specific tasks, but you'll be paying £40+ an hour, so you'll to want to be sure that it's needed.

Lithium batteries tend to survive well with some charge in them, so I wouldn't fret about them either, I'd just charge them in an Explosion Containment Pie Dish the first time and keep an eye (and a hand) on them. If you're in any doubts about getting through the day, a new battery wouldn't be a crazy expense.

I'd bin any bio BBs that you have, magdump the .25g, and agree with going up to 0.28g if your hop can lift them.

The spring might have weakened, it depends how compressed it was. There's only one way to find out.

Airseal is what would concern me, and only to the extent of pulling the thing apart and putting a small squirt of silicone spray (or oil) into the nozzle and letting it soak into the piston o-rings for a while, then doing some bursts of auto fire until it's blowing entirely clear before re-assembling.  Check the hop rubber for stiffening or cracking while you've got it apart. Maple Leaf rubbers (and Omega nubs, or the SHS equivalent) perform pretty well in most guns.

https://ak2m4.co.uk would be our go-to recommendation for any parts that you need.

1 hour ago, Caj109 said:

Thanks! Yeah I think I might just get the gun into a tech in the new year to service it and do other bits. Would the spring be naff now its been sat under tension?

I'll grab the charger down and have a look

Tbh the bbs are 0.25 and gonna look at 0.28s going forward so will see

Cheers

The spring might well be weakened if it has been compressed for the duration, for example if the piston was not fully forward.

What do you want a tech to do?  Most airsoft guns are reasonably easy to service provided that you take it slowly, photograph everything as you take it apart and watch lots of disassembly videos for your gun online.  What gun is it?

If the 0.25s look ok, use them to chrono the gun (if you have a chrono) to see what power it is doing; this will help you to work out what, if any, work needs to be done.

Rogerborg's suggestion of spraying a bit of silicone into the air nozzle to regenerate the piston head O ring is a good one.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Welcome back. You won't know until you've shot it a bit, but I wouldn't be paying a generic "tech" to do generic tasks.  Some specific individuals are good at some specific tasks, but you'll be paying £40+ an hour, so you'll to want to be sure that it's needed.

Lithium batteries tend to survive well with some charge in them, so I wouldn't fret about them either, I'd just charge them in an Explosion Containment Pie Dish the first time and keep an eye (and a hand) on them. If you're in any doubts about getting through the day, a new battery wouldn't be a crazy expense.

I'd bin any bio BBs that you have, magdump the .25g, and agree with going up to 0.28g if your hop can lift them.

The spring might have weakened, it depends how compressed it was. There's only one way to find out.

Airseal is what would concern me, and only to the extent of pulling the thing apart and putting a small squirt of silicone spray (or oil) into the nozzle and letting it soak into the piston o-rings for a while, then doing some bursts of auto fire until it's blowing entirely clear before re-assembling.  Check the hop rubber for stiffening or cracking while you've got it apart. Maple Leaf rubbers (and Omega nubs, or the SHS equivalent) perform pretty well in most guns.

https://ak2m4.co.uk would be our go-to recommendation for any parts that you need.

Yeah was only on about a tech as never taken it apart myself before but no harm in seeing how to and giving it a go.

Much appreciated for the advice, suppose I'll get it down and run some bbs through the chrono to see how it's holding up.

Will charge the batteries to see if any good, if not hows best to dispose of them?

How do I know if my airseal is good still on the piston? Or if its bad?

I know about ak2m4 as bought bits off him before like better spring and bits.

Found a dissembly video of my gun so can take the top receiver off fine to get to the nozzle 

seems easy enough to spray something in there for sure after trying the gun out

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

The spring might well be weakened if it has been compressed for the duration, for example if the piston was not fully forward.

What do you want a tech to do?  Most airsoft guns are reasonably easy to service provided that you take it slowly, photograph everything as you take it apart and watch lots of disassembly videos for your gun online.  What gun is it?

If the 0.25s look ok, use them to chrono the gun (if you have a chrono) to see what power it is doing; this will help you to work out what, if any, work needs to be done.

Rogerborg's suggestion of spraying a bit of silicone into the air nozzle to regenerate the piston head O ring is a good one.

Gun is an Specna Arms SA-E03

Yeah can't remember it's position on the spring but has a quick change spring system as I've changed it before.

Think it's just time and space to take it apart as got a 1 year old that doesn't sit still haha! Why I was gonna see about a tech as one down the road from me.

Yeah got a chrono with all the gear so will set it up and see what the guns pulling after the years.

How to tell is the airseal isn't too good anymore?

Found a dissembly video of my gun so can take the top receiver off fine to get to the nozzle 

easy to get tk the nozzle so will give it a go

Thanks

Edited by Caj109

If the power is down, that may well be an airseal issue (piston head O ring, cylinder head O ring, or hop rubber).  Also, inconsistent power can often be an airseal issue.

8 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

If the power is down, that may well be an airseal issue (piston head O ring, cylinder head O ring, or hop rubber).  Also, inconsistent power can often be an airseal issue.

Thanks very much Colin! I'll have a go through the chrono to gauge an idea then look at the options.

Cheers

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.