Should I use an old tank?

38super

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All

I have an old 13ci 310bar tank dated 2009 which I got from new but has never been used.

1st question is should I be even considering using it or just bin it?

I tried filling it for the very first time a couple of days ago just up to 2-300 psi. All fine until about an hour later it started venting through one of the burst valves. I assume the reg needs rebuilding. Is it worth the effort?

TIA

If the reg just needs seals then it might be an easy enough job.  I have sheets of rubber and a punch set, sets of o-rings for such things.  

If it's mechanically fucked it's a different story perhaps.

9 hours ago, 38super said:

Hi All

I have an old 13ci 310bar tank dated 2009 which I got from new but has never been used.

1st question is should I be even considering using it or just bin it?

I tried filling it for the very first time a couple of days ago just up to 2-300 psi. All fine until about an hour later it started venting through one of the burst valves. I assume the reg needs rebuilding. Is it worth the effort?

TIA

Is it really a 310bar tank?  That’s 4500psi

Are you reading the markings that include many details and you have read the failure pressure?

A 13ci aluminum cylinder designed for 3000psi use is exempt from hydro testing and can be used forever whilst it is physically sound

Look it over, if it is fine then for your first question it is OK to use

To cause the burst disks to fail there is an issue - if the original disks fail then that could still be attributed to age - they could be weakened over time after many uses and lowered their tolerance.

Replace with the appropriate new burst disk for each of them 

They could also have failed due to regulator failure, in which case a rebuild would apply - or replacement 

It’s your decision as to whether that’s worth your effort or cost of paying someone compared to replacing with a new cylinder 

The writing on the tank says

0.625X18UNF TW DCEC AA6061 T6 PW205PH310BAR

(Pi)0035 -40C D 2009/11 A000122

Burst disks have 4.5K and 8K stamped on them.

2 hours ago, 38super said:

PW205PH310BAR

PW is the working pressure

PH is the hydro testing pressure 

A working pressure of 205 bar is designed for 3000psi

2 hours ago, 38super said:

Burst disks have 4.5K and 8K stamped on them

The wrong burst disks have been fitted for a 3000psi system they should be 5k and 1.8k

It could have been that a 4500 regulator had been fitted to a 3000 cylinder, but you still have the wrong burst disks for that

A 4500 cylinder should have 8k and 1.8k

It appears that the wrong burst disks have been replaced after a failure 

The highest pressure burst disk placed nearer to cylinder end protects the cylinder from over filling and be in line with the PH marking - your 3000psi cylinder should have a high burst disk of approx 5000psi

The lowest pressure burst disk placed nearer to the end of you regulator protects your equipment in case of the regulator failing and putting out too much output pressure - an output pressure used on aluminum paintball cylinders was originally approx 800psi (for the change from co2 to air) therefore 1800psi burst disks are to blow when excessive pressure is coming out due to a failed regulator allowing full bottle pressure to pass through

IMG_3623.thumb.jpeg.f456b4d2b79fb52cbddb82cd44a6ab6e.jpeg

There is clearly something wrong with the cylinder and regulator setup if 4500 and 8000 psi burst disks are fitted 

???? Unless have you misread 1.8k ????

IMG_3628.png.f3a1856eca76fe6a6e29754213d9dab5.png

Thank you for the details. You are quite right. On closer inspection there is a faint 1 that I missed. Sorry. So 4.5K in line with the gauge and 1.8k nearer the equipment end.

It was given to me as new and has never been filled, used or modified until a few days ago. I'd be expecting perished seals at least.

The tank itself is in good condition so probably just easiest to replace the reg rather than rebuild it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.