G&G L85 AFV magwell

TommoThomson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Assuming the catch isn't the issue, all you could do is bend the metal outwards (which can cause a pinch and make things worse) or file some away, maybe sanding depending on how much material you need to remove.  If you do this for a certain type of mag, then other types may be overly loose.  Depends what else you've tried basically, mags wise.  Best to borrow + test fit some other types, only takes a sec, see what works and out of those see which others you'd maybe want to buy/use.

Which one are you getting?

Ant Supplies sell a couple of rails that fit the weird L85 rail.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and-adapters/sa80-l85-picatinny-stanag-rail-adapter.html

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and-adapters/airsoft-sa80-adapter-rail.html

Edited by Colin Allen

On 01/11/2023 at 17:42, TheFull9 said:

Assuming the catch isn't the issue, all you could do is bend the metal outwards (which can cause a pinch and make things worse) or file some away, maybe sanding depending on how much material you need to remove.  If you do this for a certain type of mag, then other types may be overly loose.  Depends what else you've tried basically, mags wise.  Best to borrow + test fit some other types, only takes a sec, see what works and out of those see which others you'd maybe want to buy/use.

Yeah catch isn't the issue, it seems like the magwell gets a little more narrow towards the top and non G&G mags are a struggle to get in/out.

I've tried Nurprol, Krytac and some other brands. My Krytac mags fit nicely and 3 of the Nurprol ones I have fit, but the other three won't go in even though they are exactly the same mag.

Of my Lonex mags 2 will go in with some perswading, but pulling them out is a harder than getting them in. Then the other 6 get about half way and it feels too tight, so begins the fight to get them back out again. Not as bad as the ones I can get in, but it's still not an easy task and not something you could do mid game 🤣

As a rule I prefer using my Lonex mags and I'm feed up taking so many mags on game day, so thought I wonder if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix it. 

18 hours ago, DE09 said:

I'm gonna get a L85a2 in a trade soon and i was wondering if it was possible to add a standard width rail on the carry handle in a similar fashion to the one you can put on an M4/M16 carry handle. I love the look of the gun and the susat but i'm on a budget so i would like to be able to reuse my red dot on it.

I've got my G&G rails from Fire support, which fit over the stock dovetail rail and they are held in with a screw. I've got one on my ICS L86 and ther other of my G&G L85

20221011_175750.jpg

20221011_175823.jpg

13 minutes ago, TommoThomson said:

As a rule I prefer using my Lonex mags and I'm feed up taking so many mags on game day, so thought I wonder if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix it. 

This is useful, but disappointing info for me.  I have a strong desire to get an L85, and the G&G would have been top of the list, but I wouldn't want to stop using my Lonex mags either (they're soooo ooo much better than high-caps)

15 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

This is useful, but disappointing info for me.  I have a strong desire to get an L85, and the G&G would have been top of the list, but I wouldn't want to stop using my Lonex mags either (they're soooo ooo much better than high-caps)

As a bit of additional information; the G&G outer barrel isn't threaded either (at least, mine isn't) so no tracer units or aftermarket muzzle devices. I'm deciding between getting the outer barrel threaded by a someone or taking a 1" barrel extention, machining it out enough so it slides over the outer barrel which is how the stock flash hider works, it's then pinned in place. If I knew this before getting my L85, i'd probably get an ICS one.

29 minutes ago, TommoThomson said:

20221011_175823.jpg

How do you deal with the height-over-bore? I have all my guns set up so that, in CQB, the BBs land where i'm aiming even at the full length of the arena. With my L85 i've found that the optic is so much higher than the barrel that I simply cannot get that to work, even when adjusting my optic to it's lowest position, i'm still aiming off target to actually hit it. I've dug out a small RMR style optic hoping that, because it's much lower, it'll negate this issue but i'll have to test it tomorrow.

Edited by MrTea

On 02/11/2023 at 19:44, RostokMcSpoons said:

It's such a trade off though, as the G&G version is tbh the best of the bunch out there. 

I love my L86, but ICS put this god awful hop unit in it and you can't change it. Well you can, if you buy English Kiwi one which I did but just couldn't dial it in to get it to a point it was consistent enough to use it.

So I'm back with the ICS unit, but it is the weakest part of my build. 

The new Ares L85 A3 isn't great, I'm mates with a well known tech who was asked to upgrade one from new and said it was probably one of the worst bits of kit his worked on.

So my hope is I can have a bit of flesh taken out of the magwell, which will let me use my Lonex mags. 

On 02/11/2023 at 19:59, MrTea said:

As a bit of additional information; the G&G outer barrel isn't threaded either (at least, mine isn't) so no tracer units or aftermarket muzzle devices. I'm deciding between getting the outer barrel threaded by a someone or taking a 1" barrel extention, machining it out enough so it slides over the outer barrel which is how the stock flash hider works, it's then pinned in place. If I knew this before getting my L85, i'd probably get an ICS one.

How do you deal with the height-over-bore? I have all my guns set up so that, in CQB, the BBs land where i'm aiming even at the full length of the arena. With my L85 i've found that the optic is so much higher than the barrel that I simply cannot get that to work, even when adjusting my optic to it's lowest position, i'm still aiming off target to actually hit it. I've dug out a small RMR style optic hoping that, because it's much lower, it'll negate this issue but i'll have to test it tomorrow.

I have tbh I'm now running my L85 and L86 without any form of optics.

If you excuse the optic on my AFV in the pic I now run it without anything. I've had a mock surpressor added and that hides a 360mm inner barrel. Having the mock surpressor gives me the length I need to aim with. 

The L86 is even easier to aim with, as the inner barrel is a beast at nearly 600mm and that's hidden by the outter and again I just use the end of the barrel to aim with.

When I was using the red dot though I used the riser as it let me move the unit up and away from my eye. Being far sighted I just needed it moved away a bit, but I was able to get the red dot adjusted to a point it was allowing me to put a BB on target at around 60 meters. 

20230722_114752.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.