Question about changing inner barrel on gas pistol

carthage

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi everyone. let me start off by saying im new in the airsoft community. hence the possibly stupid question.

so.. im thinking of bying the novritsch ssx23. its a gas no blowback pistol. very well made it seems and with alot of pre upgraded stuff (so to speak)

but... i didnt like the fact that they speak alot about going for the best of bla and bla... but they chose a maple leaf brass inner barrel. i am under the understanding that stainless steel is the best. at least when it comes to accuracy and longevity. brass gives of its own material after a certain amount of time/usage hence the worse the shots gets over the years/bullets fired. stainless steel is obviously heavier but.. what is 50-100g extra on a pistol right?

so... first question..: why should i, or shouldnt i change from brass to stainless steel IF i can?

number two: rather my main question that got me googling this and ended up here; can the diameter of the inner barrel be different in the stainless steel that i purchase from the original. 

like this: the original is maple leaf brass 6.02mm

i have found lambda or maple leaf advertising inner barrel for mk23/ssx23 at same length, but at 6.01mm, or 6.03mm.. so.. how big of a deal is that? can someone explain as to how or why i can or cannot go with a bigger or smaller diameter of barrel.

PS:im from norway so english is not my main language. actually i guess its more american than english so do bear with me guys:D

in advance, thnx!

regards

Bjørn E. Johnsen

• Supporters

brass can be susceptible to corrosion that a stainless barrel wouldn't, i've always leaned towards stainless for that reason although if you're keeping your barrel regularly cleaned it shouldn't make much difference.

as for diameter, i wouldn't worry too much about it, overall barrel quality (ie the straightness, consistency of diameter and surface finish) of the barrel tend to be the more important factors. yes tighter diameters eg 6.01 can foul more quickly affecting accuracy, but this can be solved by regular cleaning. you're unlikely to be getting enough rounds through a mk23 to need mid-day cleaning if you're showing up with the bore spotless.

Material is mostly irrelevant, just like diametre or any other fancy "feature".

The only thing that really matters in a barrel is the inner finish and, since the SSX uses a 6.02 Maple Leaf barrel, I'd argue it's more than good enough!

To answer your question, no, you shouldn't replace the inner barrel.

Also, bore diametre affects energy output for the most part, so a 6.01 will give you more Joules than a 6.03 (same length, same specs, same everything) and with gas operated guns this may result in more (or less if using a wider barrel) Joule Creep, so keep that in mind ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.