pistol barrel diameters

Guest Paul E H

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest Paul E H

Morning.

Updated. I've bought the 6.02 as on offer. It seems a std WE barrel is around 6.07 so significantly wider. My mulling over .1mm seems academic. I now  know I've got 6.02 ML 84MM barrel as found order in my order history (handy!) So I guess chrono old barrelagains new and check grouping. The one weak link being me/my aim!

Still  appreciate  any input.

I'm putting a longer barrel in my G19. It has an adaptor on the end of original barrel allowing a 94mm barrel over an 82mm (might be 84mm) standard length barrel (fitted).  Whilst not a huge increase  it all helps for accuracy. Fps increase not a big issue for me. I'm looking for accuracy and consistent groupings.

I'll buy maple leaf as it has a ML hop unit and rubber already fitted.

Used mostly for target shooting at 10/15m/20m.

Would a 6.02 diameter  barrel suit this better than 6.03? Or make any difference given the size. It's fitted with a 6.03 ML barrel. I'd rather buy just one barrel either 6.02 or 6.03 at 94mm  depending on which would be best.

I'd really appreciate any advice/experiences.

TIA.

Edited by Paul E H
update

I would say that the diameter will mainly affect fps.

And the length of the barrel will affect your accuracy or at least your range.

Although in this case the difference will probably be very small.

I would save my money and stick with the Maple leaf barrel and hopup.

Maybe try a ML crazy jet barrel. Might do something for you.

• Supporters

as a general rule for accuracy overall barrel quality is more important than the nominal diameter.

the limiting factor (at least mechanically) far more likely to have issues from other effects, like gas sealing, cooldown, loose barrel mounting (as in the whole hop unit/barrel subassembly not being held solid to the frame) etc.

Guest Paul E H

Thanks for the replies. Sleepless night and ordered the 6.02 ML barrel at sparrow fart o clock as it was on sale and last one. ML barrels stainless Steel  I believe so already better than standard brass. I'll chrono before and after. More importantly  its the accuracy/grouping I'm  looking for. Expect the odd wild shot but want to work on my limitations and  towards getting decent groups at 10-20m If I can. I was advised when first looking to improve  the performance   that inner barrel and hop unit/bucking best places to start. I'd like to fit adjustable  sights but cannot find any bolt in replacement types anywhere for the G series, may end up modifying a hi capa rear.

As others have mentioned, GBBP shots are so inconsistent (due to depletion of gas and cooldown), that the reality is you're just "upgrading" for the sake of tinkering. By all means put a maple leaf barrel in it and swap out the rubber. You could also change the hop arm and use an I-Key (or is it H? 🤔), that way you can confidently lift heavier ammo. Just don't ever expect "tight groupings" in airsoft.

Guest Paul E H

Thank you, the ML hop has a metal 'H'

Which seems fine. I'm using .25bb's mostly because they work well in my longs as well as pistols. Having a fun time with perished o rings and seals on mags and slowly working my way through them. The 3xhaust valves seem prone to loosing the e clip? And subsequent spring mount and spring which I cannot buy separately so new valves.

Consistent pressure is an issue I use extended mags half filled with bbs and full gas charge. The extra weight of the mag if anything balances the pistol better. Bigger gas well helps with consistent gas.

The nozzle return  springs are not returning  the nozzles quickly or completely I've now noticed so I'll fit uprated springs. It's an ongoing project. I gues wear and tear whilst not best brands I enjoy upgrading and tinkering which now seems fortunate.

I've discovered nitrile o rings come in thinner sizes  which match the o rings inside the valves so that's now an easy fix plus changing E clips for stronger types. I'll  get there...probably.

Cool down. I hadn't noticed just how cold  the parts inc seal got as usually wear gloves and shoot semi  slowly. I put 45 bbs through g18 fully auto and mag almost frozen.

It's certainly another factor.

I think I'm going to have to settle for best I can get with groupings. I still think I have a way to go with control/movemeny and stance.

I've had 3 strokes and just regained some motor skills in my right hand which should help.  Pretty sure tinkering with these and shooting has helped in that respect. I rebuilt and upgraded the v.3 gearbox out of my G36c  over the winter which I couldn't  have tackled 12 months ago.

I really appreciate  all the feedback. :)

Guest Paul E H

Barrel and new bbs arrived.

I'd fitted the new barrel and loaded a mag before chronoing it pre mod. Typical!

.25bbs 301-289fps over 10 shots. Pleased with that. Did a g18 as well. Almost identical numbers -  304-291 fps

Vorsk v6 gas

Geoff bio .25bbs

Both guns have ML hops, autobot 60 (I think) rubbers

ML barrels

Uprated slide return springs.

I'll change the nozzle return springs for stronger types as nozzles sluggish. I've got brass pistons and uprated nozzles plus new hammer units for the 18's ill fit at the same time. More for reliability/consistency. The nozzle return spring really needs doing as a priority.

Edited by Paul E H

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.