Gate Warfet in LMG - Help Achieving Semi Auto, full auto's whenever you connect the battery

Furbloke

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1074883808_QuietRoar.thumb.jpg.8cf66d930622bb8f9224f3bca62727d1.jpg

"The Quiet Roar"

Hi, I come today with a question regarding the Gate Warfet, specifically; programming/achieving semi auto while in an LMG. This is an A&K Mk46 with an otherwise stock-ish gearbox, upgraded nozzle, seals etc, new hop unit and inner barrel. Its been wired to the spec of the "modified wiring" diagram supplied by Gate and for the briefest time, I had it shooting semi auto. I had to do it though. I had to f*** about with the settings and now I cannot get it back. I haven't a clue what I changed but I can't for the life of me get it to work again

A common question I get regarding this is just "Why?" - I love LMG's. They may be bulky but they're awesome. I like playing support and I'd like to be able to do that at semi-only sites too, so this is my solution. I haven't a clue if its the best solution and I'm absolutely open to hearing if anyone has any better ideas on how I could go about this, but for now, this is what I'm working with. People forget that the Warfet is programmable, so yes, I know semi on a traditionally full-auto gun is silly, but its amazing when its working right. I digress

When I did manage to get it to run semi, I was running a 7.4v lipo which I'm not entirely sure has anything to do with it, for full auto I'd absolutely use an 11.1, but I happened to be using a 7.4. As mentioned, the gun also full-auto's as soon as I connect the battery, I'm not entirely sure why, curiously I can control how fast the gun full auto's using the Warfet, but I can't control whether the sod turns off or not. For sake of brevity, here is a list of things that I've checked and confirmed to be not the issue;

• Checked contacts for quality and damage using multimeter - all is good

• Checked wiring for polarity, shorts, nicks, twists and pinches - no issues

• Batteries are at correct voltage

• Used the Warfets in-built error checking to see what it reported - nothing 

I've done a bit of research already and I found a video from Gate where a gun is full-autoing and the guy uses a connector with a button on the end of it just to complete the circuit, holds it for a while and lets go which I haven't yet tried but I think I will soon. I don't have the button like he does but I'm sure a screwdriver across the pins would be the same, no? Like turning a computer on without the cable, no? https://youtu.be/295gTWi7t7w?list=LL&t=42

So any help is greatly appreciated, any suggestions on alternative methods of achieving my goal are also much appreciated, I'm open to learning and usually someone knows a better way. I would consider HPA honestly but money is tight (I know that would probably be the best way)

Thanks guys, take it easy

I am unsure about Warfets specifically, but when a gun starts firing full auto without pulling the trigger, its usually a sign that the mosfet itself is borked. It's happened to me a couple of times. 

• Supporters

the only way i can think to get a pseudo semi auto in a fa gun would be to configure it to burst fire with a correctly timed pulse.

there's no cutoff, so as far as the mosfet's concerned it's always in auto but when set to burst it'll cutout after the time you've set it to.

downside is there's going to be nothing keeping phase with the box, so you might find unless dialled in perfectly (which may well be practically impossible) then you might get the odd double tap or failure to completely cycle.

The manual seems to suggest you might have it in stock wiring mode and need to switch it to modified wiring mode. Which I guess makes sense because it stock mode it's sending current the whole time and relying on the physical trigger to make the connection. (The diagrams help here)

Can't work out how it fires in semi at all though. There's no fire selector sensor, so presumably it usually relies on standard mechanical cutoff provided by the gearbox for semi and then full auto is full or burst based on timing (what Adolf said). Which does make it puzzling that there's a modified fire option for burst/auto. I wonder if this is the one you want and it's a hybrid mode that does burst on a short pull and then switches to FA on a long pull. In which case, the closest you'd get to semi would be setting a minimal burst value.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.