Possible upgrades for a G&G rk74E

Rory2004

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you are looking for a range upgrade try a new hop rubber and maybe a bucking. I like the maple leaf macron buckings but have a look around and see what you want, everyone has their own preferences and most of the aftermarket ones that are decent quality will work. Your hop unit and hop rubber are responsible for probably about 90% of your range and accuracy. Barrels can sometimes make a difference if the stock on is bent or broken or really low quality, but most of the time they are fine and not really worth the upgrade price/performance wise. If you just want to then I would suggest get a stainless barrel like the ZCI inner barrels. They are cheap, good quality and stainless is a lot more resistant to damage/wear than brass or aluminium barrels. 

if you value reliability then I would suggest leaving your gearbox stock. Unless you are unlucky or have a serious amount of wear on the gearbox then stock will be most reliable. If something breaks then you could look at upgrading internals, but if you have never done it before you are more likely to make your replica less reliable rather than more reliable. 

If you want to start learning to work on your airsoft replicas, I would suggest getting a second cheap gun to do it on. Leave your best gun stock as a backup and mess around with something you can afford to break while maintaining a stock reliable gun. You don’t want to miss out on a whole day of airsoft just because your only gun broke. In my experience it doesn’t matter how well your gun is built something will go wrong at some point and you will be grateful for a reliable backup gun. There is always the temptation to push everything to the limits if you are ‘upgrading anyway’ you might as well go for max performance…this inevitably leads to a less reliable gun (don’t ask me how I know 😂

32 minutes ago, Terry_Rist said:

If you are looking for a range upgrade try a new hop rubber and maybe a bucking. I like the maple leaf macron buckings but have a look around and see what you want, everyone has their own preferences and most of the aftermarket ones that are decent quality will work. Your hop unit and hop rubber are responsible for probably about 90% of your range and accuracy. Barrels can sometimes make a difference if the stock on is bent or broken or really low quality, but most of the time they are fine and not really worth the upgrade price/performance wise. If you just want to then I would suggest get a stainless barrel like the ZCI inner barrels. They are cheap, good quality and stainless is a lot more resistant to damage/wear than brass or aluminium barrels. 

if you value reliability then I would suggest leaving your gearbox stock. Unless you are unlucky or have a serious amount of wear on the gearbox then stock will be most reliable. If something breaks then you could look at upgrading internals, but if you have never done it before you are more likely to make your replica less reliable rather than more reliable. 

If you want to start learning to work on your airsoft replicas, I would suggest getting a second cheap gun to do it on. Leave your best gun stock as a backup and mess around with something you can afford to break while maintaining a stock reliable gun. You don’t want to miss out on a whole day of airsoft just because your only gun broke. In my experience it doesn’t matter how well your gun is built something will go wrong at some point and you will be grateful for a reliable backup gun. There is always the temptation to push everything to the limits if you are ‘upgrading anyway’ you might as well go for max performance…this inevitably leads to a less reliable gun (don’t ask me how I know 😂

Appreciate the advice thanks 

If you want more from a MOSFET than the standard offering you can swap to a Perun ETU++ pretty easily. It's outside the gearbox so is literally plug and play, I just had to remove the stock but I'm not sure about the AK as that's front wired so it may be a couple of extra screws.

I play CQB so have done mine, primarily for the pre-cocking but it also meant the battery connector changed from Tamiya to Deans.

13 hours ago, Rory2004 said:

Hello all , I’m curious what people would recommend to upgrade for my rif currently it’s stock mainly looking for an upgrade in range as well as longevity , cheers 

95C70ECA-B18F-4A8F-8D9B-93E92BBF6D5B.jpeg

Have you measured what range you are getting? Have you tried a few different weights of BBs. You may end up spending money to only get a few extra metres in range

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

Have you tried a few different weights of BBs.

This. I always used .25s till I fed my MP5K some .3s and I got a big improvement in range

2 hours ago, Madhouse said:

If you want more from a MOSFET than the standard offering you can swap to a Perun ETU++ pretty easily. It's outside the gearbox so is literally plug and play, I just had to remove the stock but I'm not sure about the AK as that's front wired so it may be a couple of extra screws.

I play CQB so have done mine, primarily for the pre-cocking but it also meant the battery connector changed from Tamiya to Deans.

Just looked it up and it looks decent but I’m limited on space so I will take a few measurements,cheers 

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

Have you measured what range you are getting? Have you tried a few different weights of BBs. You may end up spending money to only get a few extra metres in range

I haven’t precisely measured the range and I use .25s as I’m playing on a wooded site it works well enough but I have to mortar fire in some areas which I’d rather not have to do as it’s unpredictable so a few extra meters is always a plus in my opinion 

8 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

This. I always used .25s till I fed my MP5K some .3s and I got a big improvement in range

I’ll try a heavier weight hopefully it gives some improvement i usually use .25s as well 

1 hour ago, Rory2004 said:

Just looked it up and it looks decent but I’m limited on space so I will take a few measurements

It replaces the stock ETU and inline fuse so I found it made battery fitment easier. Not home at the mo so can't do a comparison, will have a go later for you.

2 hours ago, Rory2004 said:

Just looked it up and it looks decent but I’m limited on space so I will take a few measurements,cheers 

I haven’t precisely measured the range and I use .25s as I’m playing on a wooded site it works well enough but I have to mortar fire in some areas which I’d rather not have to do as it’s unpredictable so a few extra meters is always a plus in my opinion 

I’ll try a heavier weight hopefully it gives some improvement i usually use .25s as well 

if you can get try and get it ranged before you do anything. On full auto power limits you should be able to get accurate fire out to 50/55 metres and lobbing 60ish metres (only full auto AEG i have seen shoot further is an M14). so if your gun is getting that sort of range there is not much more to squeeze out of it range wise.  

Perun ETU++ on the right. G&G mosfet & fuse on the left.

I still need to tidy up the wires with a couple of cable ties - just need to find them first.

IMG_4380.jpg

Edited by Madhouse
photo type

A Perun ETU++ is pretty much an essential upgrade to an G&G ETU-equipped gun.

Fitted one almost immediately after getting a G&G CM16 SRS for my son, really good bit of kit. Once the ETU trigger unit switches die, I'll replace the whole lot with a Perun Hybrid or whatever equivalent available at that time.

3 hours ago, Madhouse said:

It replaces the stock ETU and inline fuse so I found it made battery fitment easier. Not home at the mo so can't do a comparison, will have a go later for you.

👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

A Perun ETU++ is pretty much an essential upgrade to an G&G ETU-equipped gun.

Fitted one almost immediately after getting a G&G CM16 SRS for my son, really good bit of kit. Once the ETU trigger unit switches die, I'll replace the whole lot with a Perun Hybrid or whatever equivalent available at that time.

Should I just get a perun hybrid to start off with ? 

18 minutes ago, Rory2004 said:

👍🏻

Should I just get a perun hybrid to start off with ? 

No.

Whilst you will get a few more features on a full Perun Hybrid, you will have to open up the gearbox to fit it and the V3 version involves gluing bits to the selector plate. Easy enough if you've worked on a few guns and are happy to take it apart, but unless you have a spare gun or two (in case you cock up), I would suggest you leave well alone.

The ETU++ is simply plug and play - and will give you 90% of the features of the Hybrid in a smaller package than the stock G&G ETU.

You won't gain much switching out the hop units/rubber/nub/barrel on the higher-end G&G guns, they are pretty decent stock.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.