Help identifying a grenade used at a recent game

TCSquirrel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I played at HQ Airsoft yesterday and was hit a couple times with a flashbang that i've never seen before.

It looked to have a metal body, seemed to use a spoon release and once thrown it had a 2 sec delay followed by 6 to 9 bangs around 0.5 sec apart.

It was reuseable and I believe it used primer rounds.

Can't find anything online except for the CTS 7290-9 or some by Centanex which don't seem to be availiable for civilians.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Edited by TCSquirrel
Can't remember how many bangs due to shock lol

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome, but that's a new one on me.  9 primer detonations seems excessive.  There were some small 3D printed cap firing grenades that were briefly popular (Airtac did some, then stopped) but they fired all 8/9 caps simultaneously, not sequentially. That implies fairly complicated internals.  I'd be fascinated to know what that was.

5 hours ago, TCSquirrel said:

Hi all,

I played at HQ Airsoft yesterday and was hit a couple times with a flashbang that i've never seen before.

It looked to have a metal body, seemed to use a spoon release and once thrown it had a 2 sec delay followed by 6 to 9 bangs around 0.5 sec apart.

It was reuseable and I believe it used primer rounds.

Can't find anything online except for the CTS 7290-9 or some by Centanex which don't seem to be availiable for civilians.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

If you haven't already, try asking on the HQ banter FB page - the owner of the grenade is probably on there and will be able to answer more easily than us 😄

As someone that has been trying to work on something similar on and and off for the past few years, I'd be veeeeeeeeery interested in finding out what that was.

All the multi bang's I've seen that are reloadable are limited to three bangs and use proprietary charges.

There is a ‘real life’ 9 bang stun type grenade:

Possibly what was used here:

Is used here:

Somebody could have acquired one, or someone could have developed one.

…. Just because something isn’t meant to be on the civilian market it doesn’t necessarily mean a civilian hasn’t got hold of one …

9 hours ago, Tommikka said:

There is a ‘real life’ 9 bang stun type grenade:

Possibly what was used here:

Is used here:

Somebody could have acquired one, or someone could have developed one.

…. Just because something isn’t meant to be on the civilian market it doesn’t necessarily mean a civilian hasn’t got hold of one …

Rumour has it they were quite popular a few years ago at milsim / training type events , made by CTS if I recall  :) 

Edited by JimFromHorsham

Think they were called gr20 though there were several versions. Not sure who made them but Thomas lowe defence seems to make them, though I suspect these were clones of the TLD version. 

They were popular, but expensive and charges hard to get. Very cool, but not that practical (you only need to be grenaded once to die in Airsoft). 

The flying spoon, pins going missing, cost and the ever increasingly hard to get charges is what's caused their demise. They were super loud, not sure many skirmish sites would allow them. 

The charges worked by a primer lighting the charge and then the charge fuse acting as a delay for the charges. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

They were super loud, not sure many skirmish sites would allow them.

Yarp, those are much bigger bangs than .209 primers.  There's no need for that in airsoft, tinnitus isn't something you can just rub some dirt in and walk off.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.