Grease Experiment Results

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've done some experimenting with different types of lubrication on my VFC PSG1 (Which, like it's real steel counterpart, is basically a heavily modifed G3) to find out what would work best, and this is the results. Same might be true for other platforms aswell.

-Charging Handle-

Test: 25 Cycles

•PTFE Grease works great but I've found that you need to use more than you should have to.

•Ceramic Grease works great too, but it makes the whole thing look strange as this is a visible part and the grease is completely white.

•Silicone Grease doesn't last quite as long as the other two but very little goes very far, it is also the cheapest.

Winner: Silicone Grease

-Bolt Carrier-

Test: 50 shots

Note: All tests were performed without a magazine as the magazine itself gives resistance from the nozzle passing over the gas seal.

•PTFE Grease works very well and gives a smooth cycle. very very slight metal on metal noise. No gritty feel.

•Ceramic Grease works exceptionally well in my case. No metal on metal noise or gritty feel.

•Silicone Grease works great to begin with, however I found it is not as smooth as the other two when used on the bolt carrier. It has a slight noise similar to the PTFE Grease and has no gritty feel, however it feels slightly "sticky".

Winner: Ceramic Grease

-Trigger Assembly-

Test: 50 Pulls

•All types of grease perform about the same. Ceramic Grease lasts the longest but performs about the same as the others.

Conclusion: Instead of a conclusion, here is an important part. Not Too Much! I did this mistake many times thinking it would last longer. Remember what grease is meant to be when the application is metal sliding against metal. A thin, protective film, and not a pile smeared on like you would find in a gear assembly. Just like with a real firearm, overlubrication will make your gun feel gritty and/or sticky and possibly even cause failure if taken to the extreme.

Edited by LzChase

Try Techt Gun drops and grease. In other tests its been the most friction reducing lube. Works great 

14 hours ago, LzChase said:

Silicone Grease doesn't last quite as long as the other two but very little goes very far, it is also the cheapest.

Winner: Silicone Grease

You can get PTFE impregnated silicone grease on ebay dirt cheap. Been using it for years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391399159157?hash=item5b21353575:g:fDUAAOSw6fBclQTY

My favourite gear grease is moly.

This is a nice cheap one that works well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391721324225?epid=1548017327&hash=item5b34690ec1:g:bj4AAOSwsnpe6QpA

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.