Inner Barrel Replacement Recommendations

S Porteous

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking at getting an longer inner barrel put into my 416, and depending upon the length that I decide to go with; there are a few different options with not a massive price difference between them all.  I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount, so the contenders appear to be:

• ZCI - I have one of these (6.02 x 509) and I'm happy enough with it
  • AOLS - I've seen a few posts on here mentioning them
  • Madbull Black Python
  • SHS

Are there any views on the Madbull and SHS barrels, as I've not seen much mentioned on these?

• Supporters

pretty much zci would be my pick for bang for buck, not used the aols so can't comment.

can't say from what i've seen of madbull stuff over the years that i'd be keen to use their barrels, especially aluminium, and especially not when the zci exists.

worth noting, there's not really any benefit in extending the inner barrel from a performance perspective, and can mess with things like voluming.

14 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

there's not really any benefit in extending the inner barrel from a performance perspective, and can mess with things like voluming

Thank you.  Yes, understood.  I've not done a proper examination of the RIF as yet, so it would be a matter of measuring the current inner barrel length and seeing what I could get to with a mock-suppressor.  And then look to see if the cylinder is ported (and where), etc...

I have no plans to change the gear ratios.

If there are any good sources for cylinder to barrel length recommendations then it would also be good if people can point me in their direction.

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, S Porteous said:

Thank you.  Yes, understood.  I've not done a proper examination of the RIF as yet, so it would be a matter of measuring the current inner barrel length and seeing what I could get to with a mock-suppressor.  And then look to see if the cylinder is ported (and where), etc...

generally i'd just leave it as-is, mock suppressor is fine for looks but you shouldn't need the inner barrel inside it if it's not clipping.

indeed it's a boon if you wanted to put a tracer unit inside the suppressor to keep the shorter barrel, or if you want to occasionally change it up with standard/suppressed looks.

45 minutes ago, S Porteous said:

I have no plans to change the gear ratios.

gear ratio won't have an effect on volume unless you're short stroking, and if you're short stroking as long as you don't go shorter than the length of the port it's also fine.

46 minutes ago, S Porteous said:

If there are any good sources for cylinder to barrel length recommendations then it would also be good if people can point me in their direction.

sadly no, sitting duck was better at this sort of thing than me, i usually just stick with whatever the gun came with. if in doubt go higher volume.

fortunately aeg's aren't as sensitive to it as for example hpa where mis-adjusted volume can seriously affect accuracy (although fortunately it's also super easy to adjust on those platforms)

Are we talking longer than 400mm? Will you be using heavy BBs as well?

The reason I ask is that I recently went longer as well, and went with a Maple Leaf AEG barrel + their MR hop and Omega nub, and the two work together so well (the MR patch fits perfectly in their barrel) and seem to be able to put the right amount of spin on really heavy BBs.

On 05/03/2022 at 13:01, Fatboy40 said:

Are we talking longer than 400mm? Will you be using heavy BBs as well?

The reason I ask is that I recently went longer as well, and went with a Maple Leaf AEG barrel + their MR hop and Omega nub, and the two work together so well (the MR patch fits perfectly in their barrel) and seem to be able to put the right amount of spin on really heavy BBs.

I tend to use 0.28g BBs s as that seems to give me a reasonable range to cost ratio.

Will look into the ML options.

23 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

why do you want a longer inner barrel?  

I was thinking that it may give better accuracy.  But happy to to schooled.

I’ve actually paused the idea for the moment and just ordered the ZCI rotary hop and ML Macaron (from your good self 😉)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.