Help with handguards!

The_Lord_Poncho

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all, first post here. Recently taken up airsoft, but have yet to purchase a gun. I have a (hopefully) fairly simple question - i have tried searching for the answer, but it has been elusive (possibly because i don't know the correct terminology!).

I'm looking at getting some variety of Specna Arms Edge to get me going - from a bit of research, this seems a fair 'middle of the road' choice. Now the point of the post - I like the modern/free float handguard look, and the battery capacity of the crane stock - so am thinking about getting one of those flavours from the Specna range. But I'm also quite keen to create a rough approximation of the classic L119A1, and have the ability to swap between builds using the same base rifle. A XM177 stock+ rubber butt pad, the addition of a triangle front sight, and of course - the removal of the free float handguard, and its replacement with a more classic m4 type front handguard, attached via a delta ring.

My question is this - can a delta ring (to fit a classic M4 handguard) be retro fitted to a specna arms receiver that was originally shipped with a free float handguard? Or perhaps, would it be a better idea to purchase a rifle that comes with the correct(ish!) handgurad and delta ring+ triangle sight (e.g. the specna EO3) - and then, would it be possible to later remove the front sight and retrofit a free float handguard to that?

I'm sure that purists will tell me that there are a million other things to do before i can get something that approaches a L119A1, but i'm not bothered too much about the minor details - all in good time!

You should be able to swap the free float barrel nut for a delta ring with no issues. As you have pointed out there is lots more to an L119 A1 than a stock (it's not an XM stock in fact) and hand guard .

I would say if you are planning to go the L119 build direction then I would say plan to do a complete build , start with a base gun that has a delta ring, hand guard and triangle sight, then get a list together of the parts you'll need and the details that are very different to a generic M4. That way you wont be buying parts twice ! There are a few of us on here who do L119 builds who can help with the details and a shopping list.

Good luck with the build.

Edited by Nick G

Just a warning - it seems there's a developing consensus not to go with Specna Arms at the moment - given the problems with the Orion gearboxes, fussy feeding from mags, and general unreliability.
It might be worth raising a separate thread asking for advice on your selected gun.

Thank you both for your advice - super useful. I had read a few posts regarding problems with Specna, but most seemed to be over a year old, so i had (probably wrongly!) assumed that the issues were now sorted. I'll do some more research then!

• Supporters
21 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Thank you both for your advice - super useful. I had read a few posts regarding problems with Specna, but most seemed to be over a year old, so i had (probably wrongly!) assumed that the issues were now sorted. I'll do some more research then!

If you do fancy a Specna then the ONE series is still a good shout. I'd suggest the SA-B01 if you can find it in stock https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-b01-m4a1-carbine-assault-rifle?pv=7988

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.