Airsoft Battery Advice

Werdna

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As a relatively new Airsofter and having read a lot of conflicting advice on AEG Batteries I was hoping someone could share their experience.

We have several AEGs that are all '11.1 Lipo Ready' and we are looking to get some high capacity batteries.  I bought the below battery from Amazon that is an 11.1V Lipo 2200mAh with a 35C rating.

It works fitted into an AEG fine, my unsurity is from the 35C rating, will this higher rating cause any issues in AEGs or will they be fine as long as they are 11.1V?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09932Y8K3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

spacer.png

Generally its fine but that's a loaded question. It would depend on the aeg in question. The lipo will only give what the system demands and in worst case scenario, die trying.

Some manufacturers think its okay to use the battery as the limiting factor and recommend batteries with low 'C' ratings so the battery suffer voltage drop and keep running rather than burning out poor quality components.

The krytac has a mosfet already so you should need to worry about contacts and that page doesn't say anything about voltage so I'd suggest try it.

I'd always use a battery that can handle what'd be asked of it. I'd rather the mosfet ie than a lipo pushed into failure next to my face.

Treat them with respect and lipo can be great batteries, I use a lot of them.

Edited by concretesnail

• Supporters
5 hours ago, concretesnail said:

Some manufacturers think its okay to use the battery as the limiting factor and recommend batteries with low 'C' ratings so the battery suffer voltage drop and keep running rather than burning out poor quality components.

We had a good rant about that recently: it's an awful way of limiting motor / gear speed.  If you're getting problems it's better to drop to 7.4V (or 9.9V LiFe) than to use an 11.1V that's trying to spin the motor fast, but can't keep up with the draw.  That's only going to end badly for the battery.

tl;dr version - higher C is (nearly) always better. 

Overlander have a near identical one on the website. I would imagine they come from the same place.

https://www.overlander.co.uk/2200mah-11-1v-3s-35c-supersport-pro-lipo-battery-deans-connector.html

same weight 169g, same capacity, same voltage, same C rating.

sizes are also pretty much spot on depending on who did the measuring. 102.25*32*22.9mm  101 x 33 x 23

The only thing I can really see that might be different is the overlander uses 14Awg to the Urgenex's 16Awg (thinner). Would be fair to assume you could pick what wire you wanted if you were ordering in bulk.

For airsoft even if the 35C is burst you still end up with a 38.5-77A battery. Well within spec. But I would hope it's the same spec as the overlander with a 35/65C rating 77/143A.

Worth a gamble. But perhaps charge them at 0.75C a few times to see if they have any issues. So 1.65A instead of 2.2A.

Edited by Iceni

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.