New to Airsoft; what to buy?

AirsoftRich

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

44 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

We're already in the realms where 0.8 = 1.1, anything is possible. ;) 

That’s gone over my head.

Am I missing an inside joke or something?

• Supporters
12 hours ago, AirsoftRich said:

That’s gone over my head.

Am I missing an inside joke or something?

Well, I find it funny when folk swear that a TM putting under under 0.8J will outrange a CYMA producing over 1.1J.

A lot of airsoft is subjective, and there's a real aesthetic pleasure from watching a perfectly hopped BB float out there in a straight line - "shoots like a laser" is a very common claim.  And I accept that TMs come with decent parts and can be very consistent - and consistency is what matters for hitting your target, at ranges that the BB will reach.

But ultimately, a BB only has linear and angular velocity, and one with more energy (and sufficient backspin) will go further than one with less energy (and sufficient backspin).  It doesn't know what toy it came out of, how much it cost, or how far you feel it should go.

TM versus CYMA, the meme.

image.png 

TM vs CYMA, what matters.

To be clear, I'm not saying "Don't buy a TM recoil", you'll be very happy with it.  I am noting that if you stand side-by-side with someone with (e.g.) a nicely set up CYMA AK then you may find that their mundane BBs go just a bit further than your magical ones.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Well, I find it funny when folk swear that a TM putting under under 0.8J will outrange a CYMA producing over 1.1J.

A lot of airsoft is subjective, and there's a real aesthetic pleasure from watching a perfectly hopped BB float out there in a straight line - "shoots like a laser" is a very common claim.  And I accept that TMs come with decent parts and can be very consistent - and consistency is what matters for hitting your target, at ranges that the BB will reach.

But ultimately, a BB only has linear and angular velocity, and one with more energy (and sufficient backspin) will go further than one with less energy (and sufficient backspin).  It doesn't know what toy it came out of, how much it cost, or how far you feel it should go.

TM versus CYMA, the meme.

image.png 

TM vs CYMA, what matters.

To be clear, I'm not saying "Don't buy a TM recoil", you'll be very happy with it.  I am noting that if you stand side-by-side with someone with (e.g.) a nicely set up CYMA AK then you may find that their mundane BBs go just a bit further than your magical ones.

Oh I get that totally.

There will be upgraded airsoft weapons out there that will way out shoot a TM and hopefully one day I am knowledgeable and confident enough to do the same things as in that video.

Right now as a novice I want something out of the box that will be competetive, consistent and robust enough to last me a couple of years minimum whilst I navigate the sport/hobby.

I want to be able to create something like in the video posted but I am nowhere near there yet.

I am sure I will come across but not end up being one of those people the meme highlights 😂.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.