Rifle Pistol Grips

Bert918

Hi all, looking to replace the pistol grip on my M4 AEG and my 417gbbr. I find the standard one's to narrow (big hand's), so looking for some grips with bit of girth 😁. Any advice appreciated folk

• Supporters

As a fellow haver of bear paws for hands I feel your pain!

AEG grips in general are wide (side to side) but if you want more depth (front to back) you could do a lot worse than a Magpul MIAD style. Visually similar to the other Magpul grips but with alternative backstraps you can use to adjust the grip size.

For the GBBR, I'd suggest a proper Ergo Grip https://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=ViewFaceted&ObjectID=1987195&FacetValue_CategoryID=12613&CurrencyID=GBP

On 16/06/2021 at 10:46, Bert918 said:

Hi all, looking to replace the pistol grip on my M4 AEG and my 417gbbr. I find the standard one's to narrow (big hand's), so looking for some grips with bit of girth 😁. Any advice appreciated folk

I recommend you get a tested branded one. 

Some of the cheaper ones will require a lot of fettling and can affect the AOE. 

Hi Groot, have been looking at one for the gbb the ergo tac deluxe, going by the sales gaff sounds spot on.got a few in mind, well 3. Big dragon ergo!,element ergo! or magpul for the AEG🤔

• Supporters
On 17/06/2021 at 12:47, Groot said:

I recommend you get a tested branded one. 

Some of the cheaper ones will require a lot of fettling and can affect the AOE. 

@Bert918 just to clarify, he means the angle at which the motor pinion engages with the bevel gear. AOE is more often used to refer to the angle at which the sector gear meshes with the piston rack.

• 2 years later...
On 16/06/2021 at 18:44, Lozart said:

As a fellow haver of bear paws for hands I feel your pain!

AEG grips in general are wide (side to side) but if you want more depth (front to back) you could do a lot worse than a Magpul MIAD style. Visually similar to the other Magpul grips but with alternative backstraps you can use to adjust the grip size.

For the GBBR, I'd suggest a proper Ergo Grip 

Anyway, some of you know me by now as a stock maker but a good deal of work comes from the chassis rifle 3 and 4 piece sets, and recently I’ve started offering fully fitted pistol grips. I can also do limited machining jobs in support of this too, to allow cross compatibility of hardware or to work around problems. There’s a lot of benefits to the use of gripsets and chassis over a traditional stock, and while they aren’t for everyone , the adjustment and modularity is a big appeal to some. So long as an idea isn’t too crazy, it can most likely be done at revolver and pistol grips manufacturer, and I’ve done sets for FT, HFT, general use, and even ISSF compliant 10m. A few examples for you all:

I Recently bought a g&g miad style grip for my kwa cqr mod 2(not the best decision) and it made my motor line up wrong and i removed so to not strip or grind any gears. My friend told me that kwa is picky with pistol grips and I was wondering if that was true and what grips would fit right with weapon. I would like to get a magpul grip but I'm not sure it will fit with my sling plate in the back.

Easy answer... the KWA grips will fit right.

But aside from that, you can sand the grip to correct fitment. Basically you need to attach the grip alone to the properly shimmed gearbox and make sure the baseplate angle even lines up correctly. If it does line up, that means you just need to sand until the grip baseplate and the bottom of the gearbox are flush.

If your required motor insertion angle is weird (as some are), then your best bet is to simply use a KWA grip.

I've reflected on whether to contribute to an old thread, but decided i might as well - as people could alight here when searching for info!  For large hands, I've had good success with the SPR type grips - even those cheaply available from e.g. 'army force' - looks and works superb on the SR25, and a similar grip about to be fitted to my SR15. The palm swell and thumb shelf are just so comfortable, and it has a very 'DMR' look about it. Only downsides being that SPR grips definitely can only be used right handed, and that the right side of the top of the grip extends high up the receiver and therefore will likely foul an ambidextrous safety. However, I actually managed to turn this latter point into a positive attribute for the SR25 - with a little modification with a dremel, the grip acts as a physical stop to the selector being moved past semi - thus being one of the two reversible methods that I have used to semi lock the SR25 for DMR use.