Upgrading Cyma Cm.098a Platinum Edition

chriswoodburn95

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

well there's 2 ways of upgrading a gun:

1. buy the most expensive/premium part for each category, assemble them together, and have a gun that fires like crap because even good parts can perform like crap if they're not the right parts for that specific gun or if they've not been assembled correctly.

2. decide on a specific area you want to improve (range/accuracy, trigger response, rof etc) then select parts that are the right fit rather than necessarily the most premium option.

lets take an example:

the stock nozzle on an e&l ak is actually pretty damn good, maintains very good air seal and has a little o-ring to help it along.

the combat union hop unit for an ak is very good, arguably the best out there. certainly better than the stock e&l hop

neither of these 2 parts are bad parts, however try using a combat union hop with an e&l nozzle and your gun will shoot like shit, because the nozzle steps out a little and this is too large to fit the combat union chamber, making the nozzle jam open meaning you get fuck all air seal.

now fortunately for that particular case combat union know this is a problem and include their own nozzle with their hop unit, but the point still stands that 2 nominally good parts can fail spectacularly when they're not a good match for each other.

this is why so often when folk tinker with their guns it ends up worse.

now the other problem is that of picking a specific area. the performance demands for a gun that's used in cqb are going to be different to those of a gun used outdoors. likewise a gun built to optimise accuracy has to accept at a certain point you're limiting the rate of fire potential.

the reason i'm saying this is to point out that the question is too vague, there's no guaranteed recipe for the best gun and top of the range parts are not always the answer. where we can help is if you tell us what specific aspect of the current performance you're finding isn't good enough and we can help you focus on the areas that will improve that aspect.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

however try using a combat union hop with an e&l nozzle and your gun will shoot like shit

Guess how I found out :D

Anyway, what adolf just said ^^

The Cyma platinum is very good out of the box an needs very little doing to it.

A new nozzle with an o-ring and gearbox re-shim and grease while you are in there.

Replace the hop unit, rubber and barrel. A very good option is a ZCI plastic rotary hop unit and a ZCI barrel along with a Maple Leaf hop rubber and omega nub.

All of that should be no more than about £75. Anything more is a waste of money.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

well there's 2 ways of upgrading a gun:

1. buy the most expensive/premium part for each category, assemble them together, and have a gun that fires like crap because even good parts can perform like crap if they're not the right parts for that specific gun or if they've not been assembled correctly.

2. decide on a specific area you want to improve (range/accuracy, trigger response, rof etc) then select parts that are the right fit rather than necessarily the most premium option.

lets take an example:

the stock nozzle on an e&l ak is actually pretty damn good, maintains very good air seal and has a little o-ring to help it along.

the combat union hop unit for an ak is very good, arguably the best out there. certainly better than the stock e&l hop

neither of these 2 parts are bad parts, however try using a combat union hop with an e&l nozzle and your gun will shoot like shit, because the nozzle steps out a little and this is too large to fit the combat union chamber, making the nozzle jam open meaning you get fuck all air seal.

now fortunately for that particular case combat union know this is a problem and include their own nozzle with their hop unit, but the point still stands that 2 nominally good parts can fail spectacularly when they're not a good match for each other.

this is why so often when folk tinker with their guns it ends up worse.

now the other problem is that of picking a specific area. the performance demands for a gun that's used in cqb are going to be different to those of a gun used outdoors. likewise a gun built to optimise accuracy has to accept at a certain point you're limiting the rate of fire potential.

the reason i'm saying this is to point out that the question is too vague, there's no guaranteed recipe for the best gun and top of the range parts are not always the answer. where we can help is if you tell us what specific aspect of the current performance you're finding isn't good enough and we can help you focus on the areas that will improve that aspect.

The Cyma 098 is not an AK. It is an M4/SR25 style. They are typically around DMR fps as standard.

Is this to be used as a DMR (as it will need mechnical locking to semi only) or has the spring been set for a lower fps?

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Piman said:

The Cyma 098 is not an AK. It is an M4/SR25 style.

yeah i know that, it was just an example of how 2 otherwise perfectly good parts can have issues rather than being specifically addressed to the op's gun.

If you haven't used it yet, play with it first. From there you can decide what you feel is lacking and upgrade as appropriate. As Hamster said just buying top of the range parts isn't necessarily an upgrade as tolerances and other factors can mean things don't match up correctly. You then have a gun that doesn't work, or works intermittently leaving you with an expensive paper weight and the frustration that could bring. Also, the more you go 'top of the range' the more you end up spending and you get diminishing returns back on your investment. Best to work out a nice price/performance ratio as money saved could turn into something else, like a whole new gun, kit, etc.

28 minutes ago, Piman said:

Replace the hop unit, rubber and barrel.

I'd personally say it's pointless replacing the hop unit unless it's completely shafted. With the specific model he's got they're rotary anyway.

1 hour ago, Piman said:

Replace the hop unit, rubber and barrel. A very good option is a ZCI plastic rotary hop unit and a ZCI barrel along with a Maple Leaf hop rubber and omega nub.

We have 2 in the family. Both have been upgraded with Aluminium hops, ZCI stainless barrels and Maple Leaf rubbers but home made nubs. Accuracy and consistency improved for relatively little cost. Parts sourced from AK2M4

CYMA 098a Platinum and others in the series are a great value entry to the would of 7.62 DMR (with a version 2.5 gearbox as standard). Haven't changed anything else internally other than to re-shim and check compression (and remove lots of excess grease). Can't see a performance/cost/benefit to upgrading anything else yet.

12 hours ago, Fusionfiend said:

We have 2 in the family. Both have been upgraded with Aluminium hops, ZCI stainless barrels and Maple Leaf rubbers but home made nubs. Accuracy and consistency improved for relatively little cost. Parts sourced from AK2M4

CYMA 098a Platinum and others in the series are a great value entry to the would of 7.62 DMR (with a version 2.5 gearbox as standard). Haven't changed anything else internally other than to re-shim and check compression (and remove lots of excess grease). Can't see a performance/cost/benefit to upgrading anything else yet.

Have you tried the Maple Leaf Mr Hop rubber in any of the Platinum Series rifles? Looking to buy one, as its practially a pre-made R-Hop. Curious of the compatibilty with the stock barrel or an aftermarket one.

7 hours ago, GoopGoop said:

Have you tried the Maple Leaf Mr Hop rubber in any of the Platinum Series rifles? Looking to buy one, as its practially a pre-made R-Hop. Curious of the compatibilty with the stock barrel or an aftermarket one.

The platinum series has a proprietary hop up arm with a cut out to take their nub. I found it much easier/better to change the complete hop up assembly to one with better tolerances. I like Maple Leaf hop up rubbers and Omega nubs but I also enjoy crafting my own nubs. It really depends on your FPS limits and ambient temperatures. One of the great things about airsoft is that it doesn't cost a lot (other than in time) to play with different combinations of parts until you find the optimum.  As regards barrel compatibility I generally find most things fit with a bit of fettling and/or PTFE tape to ensure a perfect seal.

i bought a dave custom modded cm.098a e off here and im loving it had it to 2 skirmishs so far and its like a lazer

this is the list of parts fitted

81B1F7B0-EE62-4898-BFDC-38D87AF9F080.jpeg.fcc36e4e3bc342e86e23657f73cb8cdb.jpeg

On 13/05/2021 at 11:53, Shaydee said:

If you haven't used it yet, play with it first. From there you can decide what you feel is lacking and upgrade as appropriate. As Hamster said just buying top of the range parts isn't necessarily an upgrade as tolerances and other factors can mean things don't match up correctly. You then have a gun that doesn't work, or works intermittently leaving you with an expensive paper weight and the frustration that could bring. Also, the more you go 'top of the range' the more you end up spending and you get diminishing returns back on your investment. Best to work out a nice price/performance ratio as money saved could turn into something else, like a whole new gun, kit, etc.

I'd personally say it's pointless replacing the hop unit unless it's completely shafted. With the specific model he's got they're rotary anyway.

While generally that advice is very good this is from personal experience with the cyma platinum. It really benefits from a replacement hop unit and the ZCI unit is very cost effective. For me the cost of the gun and these mods came to less than £200 and it is now shooting better than most of my other RIFs costing more than twice a much. Get the air seal good and the weakest part on these is the barrel & hop combination. These are far from top of the range parts but combine to give a performance comparable to top of the range RIFs. I can understand avoiding going into the gearbox if you are not mechanically minded but the hop and barrel are easy to replace following the many good YouTube videos out there.

42 minutes ago, Piman said:

While generally that advice is very good this is from personal experience with the cyma platinum. It really benefits from a replacement hop unit and the ZCI unit is very cost effective. For me the cost of the gun and these mods came to less than £200 and it is now shooting better than most of my other RIFs costing more than twice a much. Get the air seal good and the weakest part on these is the barrel & hop combination. These are far from top of the range parts but combine to give a performance comparable to top of the range RIFs. I can understand avoiding going into the gearbox if you are not mechanically minded but the hop and barrel are easy to replace following the many good YouTube videos out there.

If it really is that garbage then that's fair. I still say play with it stock first for at least one game, it'll help with the appreciation of the upgrades when they're complete and everything is running smoothly.

to be fair the standard hop unit isnt actualy that bad as mine still has the stock hop unit but upgraded rubber and nub and a uprated barrel and it was performing amazingly last weekend,i do want to upgrade at somepoiint but for now i dont feel the need to

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.