So What's the Deal With the Bolt Catch Anyways?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Earlier today I was told by a friend that I "Shouldn't use the bolt catch a lot"

He said that the catch itself or the two small lugs/ears holding it's pin are prone to breaking and that the functional bolt catch, both on EBBR rifles and GBBR type rifles are more of "a detail for looks and replication of real thing but not really meant to be used a lot"

Needless to say, I'm a little confused. If they were just for looks why would they be functional? have I been completely misinformed or is there some truth to it? Feels like a stupid question but if the catch snaps It's not gonna be easy finding a spare here. If the lugs snap then It's probably done for, finding a spare receiver is probably impossible.

Not sure if this is related, but I never run my rifle (a WE416, which I recently started building into more of a DMR) above 145 PSI. Is this good or bad? should it be more or less or is it good? 

Similarly, I've always used NiMH in my CYMA AK. I know people tend to prefer Li-Po but I'm satisfied with the battery it came with. However I have very little experience with electric guns.

Edited by LzChase

• LzChase changed the title to So What's the Deal With the Bolt Catch Anyways?
  • Supporters

As I understand it the WE 416 GBB has issues with the bolt catch itself wearing quite quickly and causing issues. A quick google for "WE HK416 bolt catch" throws up a whole bunch of threads on it.

• Supporters

it's part of the nature of our pews being made from pot metal, out of date edam and hope

wether you should or should not use it is up to you, if it were me, and especially for a gbbr i would, nothing lasts forever might as well enjoy using it rather than having to baby your gun every goddamn reload.

26 minutes ago, Lozart said:

As I understand it the WE 416 GBB has issues with the bolt catch itself wearing quite quickly and causing issues. A quick google for "WE HK416 bolt catch" throws up a whole bunch of threads on it.

I've seen this too when looking for answers before I decided to start this thread. I've not had any problems so far tho. I'm more worried about the lugs that hold it. If they break.... yeah. Not much to do in my case. 

The bolt catch is part of the function of the gun and so as Hamster said, you may as well use it until it breaks. If it does. You may be lucky and have no issues. But, that’s why we buy GBB’s, for the realism. If you’re going to stop using the functions you may as well go get an AEG. That said, if you run your gun properly you shouldn’t necessarily use the bolt catch that often. Tactical reloads are always better than emergency reloads. 

• Supporters

4 hours ago, LzChase said:

I've seen this too when looking for answers before I decided to start this thread. I've not had any problems so far tho. I'm more worried about the lugs that hold it. If they break.... yeah. Not much to do in my case. 

Not seen much evidence of that online, if the receiver breaks then you have a reasonable range of choice available these days for replacements

2 hours ago, Super64 said:

Tactical reloads are always better than emergency reloads. 

This. 100%.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.