Barrel Pointing Left After Bodge Repair

Chubluke

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone , 

I’ve got a G&g cm16 r8L as a starter gun. I was giving it a check over before my first game after lockdown and noticed the outer barrel which the flash hider screws onto just pulled out. 

the screw to hold it in place was missing, see image 1, so I just whacked two self tappers on either side to hold it in place. Image 2

i think it is pointing slightly to the left now, but I don’t have anywhere to test fire it - from people’s experience can this normally be fixed by adjusting the sites? I don’t really want to replace any parts as I’m planning to buy a new aeg in the next couple months

0E687C18-9D57-42CB-8EB1-5E16D9C19830.jpeg

7C8C6DDD-C4AA-400F-B469-4DC77A789CA3.jpeg

What's the big hole in the first pic from? I've just looked at a close-up of a new one here and can't see there was ever a screw there....

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-r8-l

• Supporters

the grub screws should be in the reciever end of the barrel? if memory serves they're under the handguard but can be accessed via pre-drilled holes.

where you've got them pictured there shouldn't be anything clamping the barrel in up there.

The big hole is on the underside of the rail, up towards the end of it, where I believe the grub screw was before but has fallen out as the hole is clearly damaged. 

As this is my first aeg I don’t know if the outer barrel is meant to be held in by a grub  screw there but it does line up exactly with where the outer barrel joins with the inner and I can’t push it in any further, so it would make sense for it to be there.

the two self tappers I’ve put in the sides are because the hole on the bottom is totally rounded out and I don’t have anything that will fit in that hole now.

I’m aware it’s not ideal but I’m hoping I can counter it with re-adjusting the sites. 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Chubluke said:

The big hole is on the underside of the rail, up towards the end of it, where I believe the grub screw was before but has fallen out as the hole is clearly damaged. 

As this is my first aeg I don’t know if the outer barrel is meant to be held in by a grub  screw there but it does line up exactly with where the outer barrel joins with the inner and I can’t push it in any further, so it would make sense for it to be there.

the two self tappers I’ve put in the sides are because the hole on the bottom is totally rounded out and I don’t have anything that will fit in that hole now.

I’m aware it’s not ideal but I’m hoping I can counter it with re-adjusting the sites. 

The handguard is supposed to be "free floating" so there's not supposed to be anything bracing the barrel at the business end.

46 minutes ago, Chubluke said:

Ok I’ll take them off. But shouldn’t there be something to stop me being able to pull the outer barrel off that easily? I can just take it right out with 0 resistance, was worried it would fall out whilst playing 

There are grub screws at both the receiver end of the out barrel, and at the front where the two peices of the outer barrel meet, make sure they are tigthened down, but don't go mad, you'll strip them out:

image.png.90a679bc5832746aace1bf5f4bf33886.png

image.png.08c8c2101147484920b71fb7ac0080d8.png

It's literally those four screws that hold the three parts (Receiver stub, thin mid piece and fatter decorative end piece) together. A bit of a weak spot on these guns.

I do know of people that have literally epoxied the pieces together. Not that I would normally recommend such a course of action, but if you are just shoring up a gun you intend to bin off later, it might tide you over if there is a problem with the grub screws. Do so at your own risk.

That single grub screw holds the fake gas block on. Loosen that screw and wiggle the gas block off the barrel. Once removed, you’ll see the other two screws that I highlighted. 

it’s the same problem as this video, so sounds like I need to take the handrail off to repair it?

@ChublukeSorry - missed this last night - Yep, you might find it easier to remove the rail from the gun. It's only held on with two screws at the receiver end of the rail:

image.png.9e5112cf3db2e9f261ee4eab3c2dbc49.png

Remove those, the rail will slide off. It'll give you access to the outer barrel to undertake your repairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheeky bump!!! Played my first game

baxk today, and realised walking back after final game both outer barrel pieces had fallen off and are lost in the forest :(

anyone got a recommended outer barrel kit for this model? While I’m at it I think I’m going to change the inner too, but on the off chance I don’t - I can just slide a new outer barrel over the existing inner right?

ps again If anyone has an inner barrel recco That would be great. Heard ZCI are worth a look?

thanks in advance - what a mission with this barrel!

Edited by Chubluke

Ahhh.....no thread lock on the grub screws?

Yes, you should be able to replace the outer barrel - but there's a catch. You will need to remove the barrel nut (Part #1 in the picture below) to do so, which is a bitch without the correct tool.

The tool, which is available here for £12 allows you to remove and re-install the nut without damaging it. The metal is fairly soft and easy to mulch.

If you know anyone with a 3D Printer, you can produce this tool to do the same job.

There is a ghetto way of removing the nut in this thread, but you might struggle to tighten it down again.

I should think that a standard M4 AEG outer barrel should fit, but you may need barrel shims to ensure that the new barrel and rail mount (Part #2 below) doesn't wobble once the nut has been tightened down.

Yes - ZCI barrels are very good for the money.

On 17/03/2021 at 20:22, Speedbird_666 said:

image.png.90a679bc5832746aace1bf5f4bf33886.png

Yep didn’t have any loctite, meant to get some and slipped my mind. Kicking myself now but what’s done is done. 

Ok, I’ll buy that tool and have a crack on it. I’ll measure up the handrail and buy an appropriately sized outer barrel. Thanks

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Yes - ZCI barrels are very good for the money.

can confirm their 6.02 stainless is very nearly pdi performance.

but the pricetag sure aint.....

op- assuming you're relatively new to the whole pew tinkering scene (if i'm wrong disregard), best option for a barrel is to keep to the original length, a longer barrel doesn't mean much for performance compared to the myriad other things going on inside an airsoft pew.

ie don't get fooled into thinking you need a longer barrel for accuracy/range.

i wouldn't normally suggest messing with a stock gun, especially if you have no backup, but if you're dead set on swapping the barrel anyway, it's a perfect opportunity to do some hop work while you're at it.

the g&g green is pretty good as stock rubbers go, so if you're on a budget don't worry about it, but if you've got the cash to drop in a ml macaron+omega nub combo while changing the barrel you might as well. good for lifting heavier ammo which will give you boost to practical range/accuracy.

Cheers mate, oh don’t worry I am a newb hence all my questions 😂!

I’m still undecided on if I’ll change the inner barrel, but take on board what you say about barrel length. Tbh the current barrel is already quite long so I wouldn’t want to add more to it!

I read somewhere that the cm16 barrel nuts are a non standard size and I’d need a replacement for that too when installing the new barrel as the delta ring on the cm16 is too small for most m4 outer barrel kits - is that the case?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.