Is This Anything to Worry About?

Andy321

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing a few upgrades to my TM NGRS CQB-R. I will be fitting a Gate Titan and a couple other bits I've acquired over time which are;

Prometheus piston

Prometheus piston head

Prometheus type D cylinder

Prometheus bearing spring guide

Lonex 5.9mm metal bushings 

Was going to fit the original spring back in but could someone confirm whether or not it will work with the Prometheus piston head? I do have a Eagle6 M90 spring if needed.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on replacing to gears due to keeping the power modest, but when I took it apart yesterday evening I noticed what looks like a small amount of wear on the sector gears release tooth (pics attached). Is this anything the worry about or is it normal? Should I purchase some upgrades gears while it's open, I would get Lonex gears if I did and can be had for around £50.

So would you bother replacing it? It seems to mesh well with the Prometheus piston, but I don't want to be going back inside after a could thousand rounds because the release tooth has s**t itself :) The gun has to now been running stock for about 5K rounds on 7.4v 1450mah 30C lipo's.

Thanks

IMG20210106124557.jpg

IMG20210106124617.jpg

IMG20210106124627.jpg

IMG20210106130613.jpg

• Supporters

depends on the round count i'd say, if you've sent a lot of plastic downrange then that wear might not be so bad, if the gun hasn't seen that much use then maybe worth changing.

that's the tooth that will get all the abrasive wear, but not seen that much ground away before, but granted i've not worked on anything with a really high round count that didn't have something more serious wrong with it.

Yeah for the sake of possible frustration later down the line, I've gone and ordered a set of Lonex gears. Could of got Nuprol Marui gears for a bit less but I couldn't find info on who OEM them and whether they are decent or not, so I went with Lonex.

5k rounds is not much to be frank and Marui gears should not need replacing that soon. Granted they ain’t made froM forged steel but still that amount of wear is a tad surprising. How’s the pinion gear on the motor? The fact that you’ve ordered Lonex gears that’s fine. When you plonk it all back together make sure the shinning is done right. The motor to bevel gear is important as well as the other shimming. Coz you’re installing lonex gears you may need to adjust the motor height to compensate. 

http://www.sqairsoft.com/how-to-shim-your-aeg.html

Don't fit the original spring back in. The reason is that it's got a hook which 'hooks into the Marui piston head and it will not work with a prommy piston. Simples :)

The esgle6 M90 will take you to 310fps maybe a tad more.... Again it's air seal/compression  dependent. 

I was surprised as well when I opened it and noticed. Their is no noticeable wear anywhere on any of the other gears and the shimming/motor height was pretty decent. I will be giving it a full reshim following the pinion the bevel method when I put it back together.

The piston looks good as well with no wear, just the release tooth on the sector gear has worn down and now mimics the contour of the last tooth on the piston as obviously that metal must be stronger than the metal of the sector. Maybe I have just been unlucky 🤷‍♂️

It would probably carry on like a champ as it still seems to mesh fine with the Prometheus piston I will be fitting, but I will replace them for my piece of mind.

Also just to confirm, the standard spring won't work with the Prometheus piston head? Like I said, I have got an Eagle6 M90 spring, but I'm worried it may be slightly hot once paired with the bearing spring guide and Promy 6.03 barrel, time will tell.

Thank again.

44 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Don't fit the original spring back in. The reason is that it's got a hook which 'hooks into the Marui piston head and it will not work with a prommy piston. Simples :)

Thanks, was pretty that would be the case.

The M90 will not be hot.... It won't take you over 340 even when paired up with all the other prommy bit's... If it does then it's not a M90 ;)

I have an M95 and with all my other bits I hit 340-345 max, ok maybe the odd occasional 348 lol ;)

That gear wear is completely normal on a stock NGRS, they ‘bed/work harden’ themselves into wear pattern and if you leave it stock it will run for years without fault.

Glad you didn’t go Nuprol, don’t buy anything Nuprol other than gas.

Lonex is a great gear choice, if you haven’t done the work yet I would highly recommend fitting a Lonex helical bevel gear set at the same time, you will have to change the pinion (included in the kit) on your motor.

The smoothness and quietness is a welcome addition to any AEG and they are easier to setup than normal straight pinion/bevels.

Thanks AlphaBear, my usual go to is maple leaf with omega or AK2M4's omega "clone" nub with good result. I do however have a prommy purple and flat nub lying round which I was thinking of giving a go.

Cheers Dave, yeah don't know why I even considered Nuprol for a second, I should know better. Thanks for the suggestion with the bevel/pinion, I may leave it for something to do later down the line though, I've already had to sneak the titan and other bits past the missus :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this....

I've now put this build together and it shoots lovely, my only regret is not buying a Gate titan earlier :) Parts below...

Gate titan advanced

Prometheus piston

Prometheus piston head

Prometheus type D cylinder

Prometheus bearing spring guide

Lonex TM recoil gear set

Lonex 5.9mm metal bushings

Eagle6 M90 spring

Prometheus 275.5mm 6.03 barrel

Prometheus purple bucking (flat hopped)

Problem is, it's shooting hot which I wasn't expecting on the M90 spring. Tested with .25g bb's as I haven't got any .2g's at the mo, with these I'm getting 331fps consistently (hop off) which would work out about ~370fps on .2g bb's? This is with AOE corrected a small amount also. I know the air seal is good but does it seem like my M90 may not be a M90 after all? Or is the bearing spring guide along with the bearings in the prommy piston head the cause and I should order a M80 instead? I will be ordering some .2g bb's just to be sure.

Yes it’s a combination of double bearings adding spring preload, and a type D cylinder.

Also how far your buffer tube is screwed in will affect it.

That said it will only screw in so far before it will stop the upper receiver going fully home.

Remove the bearing block from the piston head, I’m guessing you’re using this;

0122529F-A10F-4D5A-9129-76EBAB396CB8.jpeg

That should see you at 330

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.