M14 Hop-up Bucking for a DMR Build

JME

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m making a DMR on a budget. And I know even though it’s on a budget it still isn’t cheap. I’ve chose a CYMA M14 CM032 (Long) and I've read they have really good accuracy out the box. 
The hop up bucking that comes with the gun seems to be able to handle 0.43g bbs which I will be using on game days. I’m competent working on my airsoft guns however what I do lack is knowledge of different brands and makes of stuff and in particular compatibility. 

As for most DMR builds the bucking is usually first to be swapped out but could anyone tell me what would be a better bucking over the original that can hop 0.43g bbs at around 306fps.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the M14 takes a different bucking to V2 hop ups? I could be entirely wrong.  
Or would the normal stock CYMA bucking would suffice?

I just don’t know the difference between all these brands and what’s compatible with what, that’s what gets me. 

ALSO-

I read M14 Cylinder’s are one or two MM longer than normal cylinders? Are they the same internal diameter as normal cylinders? Could I leave the stock CYMA cylinder in the gun and just upgrade the piston, piston head, cylinder head and nozzle? 

Any additional information would be much appreciated. 

Thank you and a happy new year,

J

• Supporters

can't comment on the cyma m14 specifically taking a different bucking, i can't see why it would though.

my normal reccommendation would be a ml macaron with omega nub especially for lifting the heavies.

you can lift .48's at 1j with the green, so at a higher fps you'll probably be ok with the tan.

• Supporters

I have two Cyma M14s. My Socom one is stock but the EBR has a ZCI tightbore barrel and a flat hopped Prometheus Purple rubber. The issue with the hop unit being picky with the rubber comes from the original TM ones, basically the TM came with a hop rubber with little to no protrusion into the feed tube, if you replaced it with something like the Prommy one then it stuck out too far and would cause feed problems. If you do get issues of that nature you can CAREFULLY trim the end of the rubber with a scalpel or similar but you do risk causing airseal issues. So far I've not had a problem with either of mine though.

One thing to beware of if you do go down the upgrade route is that the TM/Cyma inner barrel has different grooves than a standard barrel does so you need either an M14 specific one like the Prometheus EG or one with both sets of grooves like the ZCI.

On 06/01/2021 at 14:13, Adolf Hamster said:

can't comment on the cyma m14 specifically taking a different bucking, i can't see why it would though.

my normal reccommendation would be a ml macaron with omega nub especially for lifting the heavies.

you can lift .48's at 1j with the green, so at a higher fps you'll probably be ok with the tan.

Ahah yes I do have some spare, I believe you recommend these in particular before. I’ve got the tan ones, 60 degrees I believe. 

On 06/01/2021 at 16:45, Lozart said:

I have two Cyma M14s. My Socom one is stock but the EBR has a ZCI tightbore barrel and a flat hopped Prometheus Purple rubber. The issue with the hop unit being picky with the rubber comes from the original TM ones, basically the TM came with a hop rubber with little to no protrusion into the feed tube, if you replaced it with something like the Prommy one then it stuck out too far and would cause feed problems. If you do get issues of that nature you can CAREFULLY trim the end of the rubber with a scalpel or similar but you do risk causing airseal issues. So far I've not had a problem with either of mine though.

One thing to beware of if you do go down the upgrade route is that the TM/Cyma inner barrel has different grooves than a standard barrel does so you need either an M14 specific one like the Prometheus EG or one with both sets of grooves like the ZCI.

I’ve decided just to keep the stock barrel. I’m having a hard time finding a decent M14 barrel long enough. Lots available for the socom but I like my long barrel. I’ve read the stock cyma is a 6.04 which isn’t too bad. I’ve yet to confirm this though. 

so you haven’t had to chop any of your hop ups down then?

• Supporters
3 hours ago, JME said:

Ahah yes I do have some spare, I believe you recommend these in particular before. I’ve got the tan ones, 60 degrees I believe. 

If you have one lying around its worth a try. Worst case is the feedlips are an issue.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, JME said:

I’ve decided just to keep the stock barrel. I’m having a hard time finding a decent M14 barrel long enough. Lots available for the socom but I like my long barrel. I’ve read the stock cyma is a 6.04 which isn’t too bad. I’ve yet to confirm this though. 

so you haven’t had to chop any of your hop ups down then?

@ak2m4 has the ZCI 430mm and 450mm inner barrels in stock now, https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/inner-barrels/zci-inner-barrel-430mm, either of those will be fine. The Cyma barrel is...OK, but a better inner will help. It's not just the size of the bore but the quality of it that counts if you want to DMR and the Cyma barrels aren't great unless you spend some time polishing them. For £23 the ZCI I've linked to will be better.

My Socom is still stock hop wise, the flat hop in the EBR hasn't caused me any issues with feeding so far but it's not been used all that much as it's a heavy old beast!

Don’t worry about the last message. I found a ZCI 550mm 6.02 Stainless Steel Barrel from the states for £19 🤣 couldn’t say no to that. 

• Supporters
On 08/01/2021 at 17:15, JME said:

Don’t worry about the last message. I found a ZCI 550mm 6.02 Stainless Steel Barrel from the states for £19 🤣 couldn’t say no to that. 

Plus shipping, plus duty, plus VAT.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.