Solved - Cyma M1928 Thompson Included Battery?

B.S

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I find myself in the situation of having two LiPo batteries and three AEGs - One of which, the CYMA M1928 Thompson, came with a NiMH battery that up until now I had just thrown in the bottom of a drawer and assumed was fairly useless. But now, with my other two guns needing crane style LiPos to fit in their battery compartments, and the Thompson with a large stock full of space, the NiMH is looking mighty tempting to put in the Thompson until I get another LiPo. I'm not very well versed in batteries so I was just wondering if there is any risk assosiated with using this included battery, or are my concerns unfounded?

Cheers for any advice,

B.S

there is nothing inherently wrong NiMH batteries they are just old tech and have poorer capacity to volume ratio and their power delivery is not as consistent as a lipo as it discharges. the main issue is the the cheap chargers most Chinese made guns come with are not very safe. if you have a good charge there is no issue or a sufficient lipo for the Thompson can be got for £13.

• Supporters

Might as well throw it in and see.  Nimh discharges rapidly (I've seen claims of 20% in the first 24 hours!) so it'll likely be flat, but then again they can handle deep discharges better than lithium.

I'd agree with @BigStew that charging is the issue, just keep and eye and hand on it to check that it doesn't over-charge and over-heat.

I use NiMH for the majority of my guns, and the performance from the LiPo is without a doubt superior, but NiMH is perfectly acceptable to use provided it is working well. There is a considerable difference in rate of fire and trigger response between NiMH and LiPo, but it doesn't mean the NiMH should be not used. It might be worth testing the NiMH when fully charged to see if it performs well enough for you to be happy with it, as if it isn't good enough then there then you may as well get rid

I have a few NiMH which for some unknown reason fully discharge in less than 20 shots, however I have some which have recently lasted entire days at a game without needing to be changed, just rate of fire does slow down as the day goes by.

If you have a smart charger then they're very easy to charge, and again I find charging to be the biggest problem for me battery wise, as overnight they can lose a little battery but still work well usually.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Ben Savage said:

just rate of fire does slow down as the day goes by

Locks ups would be my main concern with nimh.  My V3 G36 is prone to them even on a fresh lipo if you get too spammy or tentative on semi-auto.  Very much gun dependent though.

6 hours ago, BigStew said:

there is nothing inherently wrong NiMH batteries they are just old tech and have poorer capacity to volume ratio and their power delivery is not as consistent as a lipo as it discharges. the main issue is the the cheap chargers most Chinese made guns come with are not very safe. if you have a good charge there is no issue or a sufficient lipo for the Thompson can be got for £13.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Might as well throw it in and see.  Nimh discharges rapidly (I've seen claims of 20% in the first 24 hours!) so it'll likely be flat, but then again they can handle deep discharges better than lithium.

I'd agree with @BigStew that charging is the issue, just keep and eye and hand on it to check that it doesn't over-charge and over-heat.

4 hours ago, Ben Savage said:

I use NiMH for the majority of my guns, and the performance from the LiPo is without a doubt superior, but NiMH is perfectly acceptable to use provided it is working well. There is a considerable difference in rate of fire and trigger response between NiMH and LiPo, but it doesn't mean the NiMH should be not used. It might be worth testing the NiMH when fully charged to see if it performs well enough for you to be happy with it, as if it isn't good enough then there then you may as well get rid

I have a few NiMH which for some unknown reason fully discharge in less than 20 shots, however I have some which have recently lasted entire days at a game without needing to be changed, just rate of fire does slow down as the day goes by.

If you have a smart charger then they're very easy to charge, and again I find charging to be the biggest problem for me battery wise, as overnight they can lose a little battery but still work well usually.

Cheers for the speedy replies! I have got a smart charger so there shouldn't be any issues there, and I'm not too bothered if the performance is marginally worse, so I shall use it in the Thomspon for the time being. I did try to get a third LiPo but accidentially bought a Deans connector one... then tried to get an adaptor... That was accidentially for a large Tamiya. Then got one for mini-tamiya... Which was the wrong way around. So I think I've had enough of ordering batteries for a little while! 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, B.S said:

I have got a smart charger so there shouldn't be any issues there

<dramatic-gopher.gif>

Most of the "Charged for 9 hours, is that too long?" and "Went bang!" charger threads involve "smart" nihm chargers.  Just be aware that it should take even the weediest charger no more than 2 hours to charge even a fully discharged airsoft nimh, and I really wouldn't leave it unattended.

Sorry to hear about the connector woes.  If you're at all technically minded, I would recommend getting a basic soldering iron set up and swapping everything over to Deans (or XT-60) long term.  There's not much to go wrong, just cut, resolder and heat-shrink one battery wire at a time, don't cut both wires at once! ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.