Replacement Cut Off Lever - Selector Plate Spring Size

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As bemoaned previously, my CYMA V2 cut off lever <-> selector plate spring sprung off into oblivion.  I bought an SHS V2 spring kit which contains 2 cut off lever springs of different sizes, that's nice of them.  However, even the smaller one is of notably larger diameter than I recall the stock spring being, and after a few activations, it's done what I expected and pushed itself right down on to the selector lever.

image.png.caea01538ffa6acad168da9d53779406.png

It appears to be ~2.5mm ID (it'll take a 2.5mm drill bit shank, but not a 3mm), about 3.4mm OD and 14mm long, and I don't have anything else that small to hand.  The other spring in the kit is the same ID and longer.

I've ordered up:

https://springsandthings.me.uk/shop/compression_springs/2-39mm-compression/ in 0.2mm wire (1.99mm ID)

https://springsandthings.me.uk/shop/compression_springs/3-18mm-compression/ in 0.4mm wire (2.38mm ID)

In the hope that one of them will fit and give about the right tension.

Aside: what a Godsend of a retailer, reasonable prices for small custom lengths and just 99p shipping.

However, I'm surprised that an actual airsoft spring kit contains springs that are obviously too large for this application and was wondering if I'm missing something here.

I guess in the worst case I could epoxy the end of the kit spring onto the cut off lever.

Hmm, actually, I may have an SHS cut off lever somewhere - I wonder if that's got a larger diameter to it.  Anyone want to lay odds?

[UPDATE]

Ah, I have Rocket cut off lever, which I'm led to believe is the same OEM as SHS.  It does seem to be slightly larger than the CYMA, although the spring still isn't what you'd call a snug fit.  I might go with that in the meantime though, and see if it actually cuts off.

• Supporters

this is a perfect example of "compatible-ish".

unfortunately i can't really recommend anything specific, i keep a box o'random springs and i'll be damned if i know where most of them come from but almost always have something that's about right.

it's like my bits box m4 build that's semi only because the only COL that worked in the box had been modded at some point for a mosfet.

• Supporters

I do have a bits-box but the stock CYMA spring was teeny, I've never seen anything else that small.  I might pull the other gnus apart and see if Galaxy and JG have gone with that size or whether SHS is more industry-standard(ish).

• Supporters

OK, for those playing along at home, the smaller one is a better fit:

https://springsandthings.me.uk/shop/compression_springs/2-39mm-compression/ in 0.2mm wire (1.99mm ID)

As to length, I'm not 100% sure.  I ordered 16mm which I knew would be too big.  I lopped off about 2 coils then heated and flattened the ends slightly, so I'm thinking maybe 12mm or 13mm.  The tension feels OK, but I'll see if it holds up in use.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2020 at 09:59, Rogerborg said:

I do have a bits-box but the stock CYMA spring was teeny, I've never seen anything else that small.  I might pull the other gnus apart and see if Galaxy and JG have gone with that size or whether SHS is more industry-standard(ish).

Hi Rogerborg

Might be a bit late to the party but if you have a disposable flint lighter and take the flint wheel out carefully you will find a lovely little spring under the actual flint.

May be just your size.

If not always handy for bit box

Regards

Archived