Gas Guns Indoors and Other Questions

Jack181

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi i recently bought a tokyo marui v10 pistol, i know nothing about airsoft and i used abbey 144a maintenance gas to fire the gun a few times which i now know your not supposed to do, first of would this of damaged my gun and second of all would predator 144a gun gas be suitable for me to use with this particular model of gun specifically indoors? The other few questions i had were what is predator 144a gun gas and 144a maintenance gas composed of.. I noticed that sometimes it gives of a strange smell and foolishly i accidentally inhaled a very small amount of the maintenance gas when i fired the gun, i feel fine but is this something to be concerned about? I noticed its kinda of difficult not to get a wiff of the gas when its discharged from the gun especially when firing indoors, is it safe for me to do so or are there ways i can avoid this, lastly now that i know the maintenance gas is not meant for firing my airsoft gun how often should i use it and once im ready to fill my gun up with the appropriate gas for firing what do i do with the maintenance gas already inside the mag, sorry for the abundance of questions but im very confused, Any feed back would be greatly appreciated thank you. 

You are worrying too much! 

Maintenance gas just has extra silicon in it to help keep the O-Rings lubricated, you can use it to fire rounds if you want. As a rule of thumb use the Maintenance gas when you store the mags, but there is no problem if you fire a few shots off on it.

Inhaling whilst using it indoors wont do anything to you (If it did then Indoor CQB venues would have a real problem!). You aren't exactly huffing it direct from the can. Its essentially duster gas which is used to clean PC keyboards etc, they add a little bit of Silicon to keep rubber moist and that's it. 

Stick with the 144A and you will be fine. 

Just use the button release on the mag to empty the current gas inside.

Thanks for the info so essentially i got nothing to worry about in terms of accidentally inhaling the gas its not lethal? aslong as i dont huff it from the can haha, also whats the best way to store the canisters of the 144a would it be fine to just place it in a draw? And doesnt it damage your mags using the button release or is that not a problem i mean what is this stuff anyways is it green gas or something else it doesnt say on the label? 

41HCQf+1HzL._AC_.jpg

41fu-pH6K6L._SX466_.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jack181 said:

Thanks for the info so essentially i got nothing to worry about in terms of accidentally inhaling the gas its not lethal? aslong as i dont huff it from the can haha, also whats the best way to store the canisters of the 144a would it be fine to just place it in a draw? And doesnt it damage your mags using the button release or is that not a problem i mean what is this stuff anyways is it green gas or something else it doesnt say on the label? 

As I said in my post, it is not lethal and not even really that harmful as long as you dont start huffing from the can. As I also said in my post, its just Duster gas, this is standard compressed air with some silicon added for lubrication. 

Store them in a cool place out of direct sunlight. It does not damage them to release the gas. 

Power ratings go like this. 

Duster Gas -> Green Gas-> Red Gas -> Black Gas ->C02. 

Dont be confused by the green label on the Abbey 144A gas, 144A is just duster gas. 

Do not use anything more powerful then Green gas in the V10 and only in the winter. Duster is fine for Spring/Summer and Autumn. 

No, one accidental whiff of the gas won't kill you. Especially if you're still alive to read this. 

You shouldn't really use the maintenance gas as your main propellant. It's got a lot of silicone in it, so leaves too much behind. It's designed for use when you want to rejuvenate your seals or are going to put the mags in to storage. It's also likely going to be underpowered for reliable outdoor use. 

Just store it in a dry place which doesn't get too hot/cold and it should be fine. It does sound like you're worrying too much. 

Not sure what you mean about button release? You mean to let all the gas out of your mags? It's fine to use from time to time if you really need to but you should leave gas in your mags anyway. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

you should leave gas in your mags anyway

Repeated for emphasis.  The o-rings will stay sealed better if they're under pressure, and lubed with maintenance gas.  But again, don't fret about it.  If they do dry out, mags are easy to strip down to lube the seals with silicone oil or grease.

The thing to bear in mind is that airsoft guns and gear are expensive toys, made to random tolerances, and things will go wrong.  Embrace that, enjoy them while they work, and don't fix anything that isn't broken.

38 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

don't fix anything that isn't broken.

C'mon! There are experienced airsofters who don't abide by this. Sound advice though. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.