Full Face Respirator

Nathanatro3

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Would it be safe to use a full face respirator in airsoft (minus the filters because I like breathing). The ones i have looked at use polycarbonate for the face shield. I would also consider testing one myself if needs be.

If its a real respirator the visor should be strong enough but even without the filter you'll have difficulty breathing so I don't think it would be practical.  (depends how much running you do)

• Head Moderator

Depends on what standard the lens or lenses are rated.  Are they strong enough to withstand airsoft shots at close range.

2 things to consider. Your vision will be limited and even with the filter out, you'll still find it hard to breathe after tabbing around woodland with gear and a rifle. 

It would provide protection, yeah, but you'll sweat like crazy. 

1 hour ago, Nathanatro3 said:

Would it be safe to use a full face respirator in airsoft (minus the filters because I like breathing). The ones i have looked at use polycarbonate for the face shield. I would also consider testing one myself if needs be.

depends on what model mask you want to use.

if using an S10/FM12 you will need to swap the lenses for polycarbonate, but something like a GSR will have a polycarbonate lens already fitted,  or an MSA millennium will need to ensure the polycarbonate lens outsert is fitted as the inner lens will be too fragile. 

personally i have used a GSR without modification without issue (but you MUST use filters with the mask as otherwise you will not be able to breathe at all) and i have also swapped the lenses in my S10 ready for use post-lockdown

39 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

depends on what model mask you want to use.

if using an S10/FM12 you will need to swap the lenses for polycarbonate, but something like a GSR will have a polycarbonate lens already fitted,  or an MSA millennium will need to ensure the polycarbonate lens outsert is fitted as the inner lens will be too fragile. 

personally i have used a GSR without modification without issue (but you MUST use filters with the mask as otherwise you will not be able to breathe at all) and i have also swapped the lenses in my S10 ready for use post-lockdown

I'm thinking more of the modern ones use for things like spray painting in industrial work

3m_full_face_mask.jpg

40 minutes ago, Nathanatro3 said:

I'm thinking more of the modern ones use for things like spray painting in industrial work

3m_full_face_mask.jpg

looking at that pic, and without looking up exact specs, i would guess that you should be OK. most civilian masks like that should be polycarbonate safety lenses, but shoud come with a leaflet or similar that lists its rating against projectiles... 

safest bet would be to take a few shots at it yourself before you use it, to make sure the lens will stand up.   also check with your airsoft site before you use it as i was talking to my brother after my last post, and have heard that some sites do not allow gasmasks at all, while others will assess each gasmask on an individual basis

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
4 hours ago, Nathanatro3 said:

3m_full_face_mask.jpg

The boring answer is that every good, well produced (i.e. worth wearing) mask will have the lens impact rated - in the US, this is "ANSI" (Look for "ANSI Z87.1"), in the UK it's "BS EN" with some numbers following - can't remember the full standard. Whichever mask you pick up should ideally have these ratings, and ideally you should test the mask (or a second, to be used for testing only) with a high powered RIF firing heavy ammo point blank. 

13 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

The boring answer is that every good, well produced (i.e. worth wearing) mask will have the lens impact rated - in the US, this is "ANSI" (Look for "ANSI Z87.1"), in the UK it's "BS EN" with some numbers following - can't remember the full standard. Whichever mask you pick up should ideally have these ratings, and ideally you should test the mask (or a second, to be used for testing only) with a high powered RIF firing heavy ammo point blank. 

I'm going to test it almost point blank. It also has an EN rating I believe which is European safety.

• Supporters

That mask is NOT rated high enough for airsoft.

1 hour ago, Nathanatro3 said:

I'm going to test it almost point blank. It also has an EN rating I believe which is European safety.

It's rated to EN166 B which should be OK. Testing a piece of eye protection with your own gun is only worth doing if you have a gun capable of producing the highest muzzle energy allowed on a site (ie a bolt action sniper running at 500FPS).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have had to ditch this idea due to the fact it is completely impossible to look down the sights of the gun with it on, I would need like 3 riser mounts and the scope to be at the front of the gun to do so.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.