Glock 17 Gen4 - Can the Co2 Version Use Green Gas Mags?

Torshalla
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, 

I am new here and about to buy a Umarex Airsoft (6mm plastic bb) Glock 17 gen4... I struggle to choose between the Green Gas and CO2 versions and saw from some videos that the 2 versions are very similar apart from maybe 1 part that is a bit thicker on the co2 gun internals.... so i was wondering, if i buy the co2 version, will the green gas mags work in it? That would be great to have both options...

I also saw there were 2 CO2 versions though... a 1J and a 1,3J... just to make things a bit more complicated haha.

Anyway thanks for any input :)

Probably not. CO2 is much higher pressure than green gas, so you need stronger springs to control it etc, mind you i don’t know how the Umarex system is designed. 

First off, good choice. You can't go wrong with a Glock 😄 

I've just tried and the co2 mag seems thicker, but it does seem to fit, but the difference in the springs is where its at. The co2 recoil spring is a lot stiffer than the green gas. 

Long story short, I wouldn't be running co2 mags through a green gas gun. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion 

Hope this helps 

The co2 has a higher FPS, but it is more consistent. The green gas suffers from issues with cool down. 

I have a green gas G19 gen 4 which I skirmish with, and a co2 G17 Gen 4 which I plink/train with. 

Personally, I'd go for green gas. Co2 pistols can sometimes exceed site limits, you're going to be safe with the Green Gas version. 

Be careful with the Umarex, there are two CO2 versions.

There is a half blow back, originally designed to be a 4.5mm pellet gun, Umarex’s suppliers have converted it to 6mm bb. It’s truly awful.

The normal 6mm CO2 will blow itself up fairly quickly

3 minutes ago, Torshalla said:

So neither co2 versions of the gen4 are good?

Doesn’t matter what gen your looking at, as it refers to the real steel gen, not the Umarex gen.

In my opinion, no, they are £100 Glocks max with trademarks making them £160, whether they are CO2 or Green Gas.

Some people love them, but every VFC Glock I’ve owned (VFC make them for Umarex) I’ve sold on quickly. I’ve owned a lock of airsoft Glocks lol

I'd be wary of most reviews on most things. Most of the individuals known FA about the technical side or build quality. They blast a few shots over a week or two and come to the assumption it's great cos it's still running fine. When the reality is you really need to know what it's like over a period of years hard use and not just a holster filler that barely gets fired. 

36 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I'd be wary of most reviews on most things. Most of the individuals known FA about the technical side or build quality. They blast a few shots over a week or two and come to the assumption it's great cos it's still running fine. When the reality is you really need to know what it's like over a period of years hard use and not just a holster filler that barely gets fired. 

This, exactly. Always remember, very few Americans have access to TM weapons 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, heroshark said:

this, absolutely this.

you also need to remember regional differences, someone reviewing a gun in california saying it works great all year round probably hasn't tried it in a scottish winter.

it's one of the things i hate about airsoft reviewers, their ability to fill a 20 minute video with bugger all information is ridiculous:

-opens box

-talks about how pretty it is

-spends at least ten minutes talking about all the ambidextrous controls

-spends 5 minutes talking about the trigger pull

-chrono's it

-test fires half a mag on an indoor range

-declares gun to be awesome

There is nothing much wrong with Umarex per se, they work OK, just not wholly TM compatible for upgrades, a lot of money for what your getting, but if it floats your boat, do it.

A WE GLOCK will be just as good, a lot less to buy, and easily fixable with WE or TM compatible parts. But it won’t have Glock trade marks.

TM is middle priced between the WE and the UMAREX, better than both (TM are releasing a gen4 glock this year), but has a plastic slide.

Then, for the ultimate realism in airsoft is the GHK Glock. No prices or release date yet, but it’s construction is very similar to the real steel, same materials (polymer and CNC Steel), will be branded as a Umarex thereby making all previous versions of Umarex Glocks basically worthless lol.

Only available as a gen3 though apparently 

Archived