Upgrade TM M4 CQBR

Gareth Timms
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've just brought a Tokyo Marui m4 cqbr high cycle(cheap, because the body is split), just so I can tinker around with it and get used to fixing and upgrading others. 

I know I've got to change the body but my question is as it's an old rifle and it still works well, is it worth changing the whole gear box and if I do will it affect it being a high cycle in any way?

Well the high cycle part of it is all down to the gearbox. Change the gearbox and it wont be a high cycle anymore. 

If you change anything to do with the gears or motor, it will no longer be a high cycle. They are built to exact tolerances. If you change the spring to a higher power one it wont be as fast cycling and will likely will break. 

It really isn't a great platform to upgrade without changing everything. 

So is it best to just have it serviced and just change the hop up, barrel and a better motor. Maybe fit a mosfet?

29 minutes ago, Gareth Timms said:

So is it best to just have it serviced and just change the hop up, barrel and a better motor. Maybe fit a mosfet?

As I said, if you change anything to do with the gears or motor it will cease to be a high cycle. The motor is a special motor that designed to work with those particular gears. If you change the motor, you must change the gears and if you do that, then there was little point in getting a high cycle! 

By all means, open the gearbox, check for any obvious issues, change the air seal parts if you need to. Otherwise change the barrel (The same length, otherwise you'll have voluming issues), hop rubber, put in a mosfet if you feel like and just run it on 7.4v lipos ONLY.

• Supporters

I'd just clean the barrel and maybe replace the hop rubber if it's worn or torn.

What would be your basis for believing that anything you replace will be better quality than the TM parts?

Don't make me break out The Video.

Ehhh, you're better off getting some cheapo cyma m4/ak and working on that.

TM high cycles are not really standard guns and have had weird stuff done to them internally to make them a "high cycle". They're kinda "meh" imo. A normal gearbox with 13:1 gears and a 22tpa motor will do much better than a high cycle.

Point is, changing something inside the high cycle will not make it a "high cycle" anymore; they are made to be as it is. I forgot what parts made it work the way it does apart from the piston because it's already short stroked where the teeth only go up to about halfway up the piston from the bottom. And also the shitty motor that has a god awful wind-up time.

Archived