Guitar Gun Case

Game Cam
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey boys/girls,

I thought I would share with you all how I made my custom guitar gun case so that if you want to make one you have idea of whats involved.

First I just want to say I have made a video about this for any of you who don't like reading

Secondly I just want to say why I made it and why it is so good.
The perks of it are:

- It looks cool: every time I go to a field, people are impressed by it and everyone wants to be told they are cool.
- It is low profile: I can take this thing on public transport and no one bats a eye which is nice because I don't want to explain why I have a gun case all the time.

- It is actually pretty good at protecting your guns: Guitars are not very durable things (compared to guns) and these cases are designed to stop all damage to them so your metal guns will be safe as houses.

Anyway down to how I actually built it:

- First off I bought a Dreadnought ABS Guitar Case (£55) - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dreadnought-ABS-Guitar-Case-by-Gear4music/FM3?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=ord-line&utm_source=txn-email
- I then took all the crap inside it out so your left with just the case and lining.

- I then laid the case out on a sheet of MDF and drew a outline of the guitar case lid onto it. (I like MDF for a lot of my projects but it does have its draw backs, so look at different matierals and choose one that suits you)
- I then measured the thickness of the walls of the lid and measured that in from my original out line and drew another outline. (since it has to fit inside the lid)

- I then cut out the second MDF out line and smoothed all the edges so it is a tight fit.

- I then look at where my hinges would be and marked it up on the MDF. (I used some kitchen hinges I had lying around)
- I then bought my guitar (£22) -  I bought one off eBay but this is similar https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Zone-String-Beginners-Acoustic/dp/B00NY3JBJG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1533387256&sr=8-6&keywords=cheap%2Bguitar&th=1
- I then measure how much room I had left in my case after I put my guns and the MDF in to see how much of my guitar I need to cut off.
- I then but tape around the guitar so I could easily mark where I was cutting and marked it up.

- I then started cutting the face of the guitar off. (This bit is really tricky as guitars are hard to clamp down without breaking it)

- I then ordered some black velvet - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MHVMH24/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

and some case foam - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJ0MOJA/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

- I then cut the foam to fit the MDF and glued it onto the bottom face.

- I then cut and sewed the black velvet over the MDF, leaving a bit of slack on the top face.

- I then ordered some Velcro straps - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYDITWJ/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

- I then layed my guns out on the bottom face of the MDF and marked where the straps would be (using tape) and cut the straps to fit.

- I then used small screws to fix the straps to the appropriate area. 

WARNING - screwing into fabric is very tricky as it can wind up on the screw and rip, so be very careful.

- I then fixed the face of the guitar to the top of the MDF, using the excess fabric I left to make it look like the guitar was pushing into the MDF.

- I then attached the hinges to the Lid.

- I then attached them to the case.

That is all the basic stuff to get the job done but here are some extras I have done/could do.
Done - I took a picture of the back of the guitar I cut off, printed it on photo paper and put it into the guitar to make it look like the back is still there.

Done - I screwed a hook loop onto the lid and used a cable tie to attach a metal bar which is use to hold the lid open.

Could do - section the bottom of the case to store mags and stuff in there so they won't bash around.

Could do -  add other straps so you can alter gun configurations.

SO... thats about it,

If you have any questions feel free to ask below, if you make this don't take what I have done as gospel, put your own twist on things and customise.

Builds coming up:

Judge Dredd's Lawgiver

Sleeve gun rig

& more.

DSC_0210.JPG

IMG_20180331_170925830.jpg

IMG_20180310_102118309.jpg

IMG_20180310_155848615.jpg

IMG_20180226_180815168.jpg

8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Thats pretty cool, although i suspect i might need to use a bass violin case for the mg42 if i were to go down that route :P

also no tommy gun!

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out the best way of transporting my M249.

And sadly not at the moment but I'm sure at some point I'll don a fedora and suit and go full valentine day massacre.

2 hours ago, Game Cam said:

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out the best way of transporting my M249.

Cello case 😉

Cool idea ! I regularly use one of my guitar gig bags to transport a gun. I feel much less conspicuous walking through town with a guitar bag !

Archived