Preventing rust on steel externals during storage.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

With other guns this just amounts to a wipe down after use with an oily cloth.

Most airsoft guns are made of polymer and alloy , but some have steel receivers and outer barrels.

Can I use the tiniest bit of gun oil (Ballistol) on the externals of an AK, and then wipe it off, or is the risk of the oil migrating to internal parts too great?

Should I avoid using normal oil at all costs, and stick to a silicone cloth? Or are there other alternatives. A very light smear of molybdenum grease for example?

I normally keep a few packets of those poison teabags in a draw for when I need to keep moisture away from items in storage.

No I mean those packets of silicone that comes with stuff. They're toxic to ingest (obviously) but they're fantastic at absorbing moisture.

19 minutes ago, Prisce said:

They are called silica gel packets.

That's the buggers!!!

What you want to use is Express gun oil, you can wipe down all externals with it, it will not harm any plastics and will maintain steel parts and even protect wooden furniture.

Thanks to you all.

I used to use Express gun oil years ago, but not on airsoft.

I was under the impression that any gun oil was to be avoided where airsoft guns are concerned. Even Napier power airgun oil which is said to be kind to plastics.

Maybe this warning is not for aeg but gbb owners, because of the rubber seals and polymer blowback units.

I'll bear the silica gell tea bags in mind.

Archived