TM G17 vs KWA G17

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've more or less narrowed my choice of glock down to either TM or KWA. I just can't pick between the two.

Immersion is a real thing for me here so I want to go with the most true-to-life replica I can. In essence, that's my problem. The TM is undoubtedly higher quality, but the fact it doesn't have a metal slide bugs me and I don't want to buy it and regret it because it isn't realistic enough.

Anyone with experience of either of these two? Budget isn't much of a concern here.

Just got a KWA G19 (not new) and it has all the proper marking and is very realistic looking but haven't used it yet so cant comment on function.

If money isnt really a concern why not get the TM for the internals then a metal slide for it?

• Supporters

Why not buy the TM for the internals and then put a metal slide on it? Plastic will work better but I can totally relate to wanting a metal slide. 

edit: @wiggle5 Same comment same time :lol:

6 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

The only problem with that is I have absolutely no experience with modifying airsoft weapons and would likely damage it, meaning I'd need to take it to a technician to get it modified.

Changing a pistol slide is a piece of cake, trust me.

I've considered that and would rather buy a gun to use straight out the box (although if that is the best option, I'll do it). 

The only problem with that is I have absolutely no experience with modifying airsoft weapons and would likely damage it, meaning I'd need to take it to a technician to get it modified.

9 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Why not buy the TM for the internals and then put a metal slide on it? Plastic will work better but I can totally relate to wanting a metal slide. 

edit: @wiggle5 Same comment same time :lol:

Changing a pistol slide is a piece of cake, trust me.

No idea how you quoted into an edit, so sorry for double post -

Seems the slide option is the best then, so I'll look into that.

One further question though - With the TM G17 Plastic slide I could only use a certain type of gas because of the slide, if I upgrade that to metal, will the stronger gas be usable? (This will be my first GBB weapon so please forgive the naivety)

Yes, upgrade the slide to something fancy in metal.

As an absolute minimum you will have to upgrade the recoil AND the hammer spring as well , otherwise it will not cycle properly.

I know because I’ve built loads of TM Glocks.

If you’re near me (south essex) I can do it for you, or build you a gun with whatever parts you want, no charge :)

This is my latest (and favourite) TM G17

Ace 1 Arms Salient Arms slide with RMR red dot, high rise iron sights, WE mags with G22 mag bases and a black magwell.

All springs replaced with Guarder uprated springs.

tmadW8N.jpg

PjNwmQx.jpg

It also has a fluted silver outer barrel threaded for a silencer, and I have a silver Salient Arms flat trigger and silver magwell to put on it, along with a GunsModify frame lol

Or course, if you want something that looks exactly the same as a real steel Glock 17, buy the new Umarex. Full trade marks, metal slide.

You’ll need to do nothing and it will look really good

rdb

• Supporters

@rocketdogbert beat me to it but I agree with everything he has to say. He's far more knowlegable about Glocks than I am. 

Go for the TM, trust me. Plenty of spare parts and upgrades, a lot of magazines to use..

I have a kwa g19, I love it, great kick and performance, a really awesome pistol even if it doesn't have any marking apart from the usual "cal. 6mm blabla" on the slide..

There's one big problem with it (and all the kwa glocks really) though: magazines are proprietary and they're incredibly hard to find (at least here in Italy but even googling around the only stores that have them are on the other side of the pond which makes them extremely expensive to get)...

The only alternative is to get ksc mags (ksc/kwa are the same thing) but they're even more expensive...

1 hour ago, Skara said:

Go for the TM, trust me. Plenty of spare parts and upgrades, a lot of magazines to use..

I have a kwa g19, I love it, great kick and performance, a really awesome pistol even if it doesn't have any marking apart from the usual "cal. 6mm blabla" on the slide..

There's one big problem with it (and all the kwa glocks really) though: magazines are proprietary and they're incredibly hard to find (at least here in Italy but even googling around the only stores that have them are on the other side of the pond which makes them extremely expensive to get)...

The only alternative is to get ksc mags (ksc/kwa are the same thing) but they're even more expensive...

Looks like I got a bargain then... Just bought a KWA G19 for £50 and came with an extra KSC mag

3 hours ago, wiggle5 said:

Looks like I got a bargain then... Just bought a KWA G19 for £50 and came with an extra KSC mag

Heh at the time I didn't know about compatibility and availability of spares/upgrades, after a while I decided to get a 2nd mag and I found out that they're a rare sight..

Managed to find 2, gonna buy them tomorrow so I can start using my pistol again.

Archived