Okto eight December milsim

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Me & 2 mates are going to okto eights milsim in December

This will be our 1st milsim & we have pretty much everything we need :)

I'll be getting a baofeng UV-5R for the weekend. I know there's guys on here who've been to milsims so I'm asking for any tips, tricks, advice or what to expect from the days battles etc

I'll be on the Moldistan Defence Force (MDF) side with one mate & the other will be on the Russian side

I cant make this one :( I normally play as MDF as well as BrightCandle and Zack(cant remember the rest of your forum name). Its somewhere between a skirmish and a Milism. You wont be in endless firefights and the action tends to be very sudden and also over very quickly. There was a lot of cat and mouse going on between the MDF and the 'shadow troop' rebels over the weekend last time.

You will have control of a large base I think like last time to stick a day bag in. Your only really going to need what you normally take on to a skirmish with you.

We would disagree slightly in that the only thing it has in common with a skirmish is its length. Its an 8 hour game, but there are no breaks in that time and no recourse to the safe zone.

It's also full milsim rules.

You obviously dont need overnight equipment in the battlefield but you will need to bring all the same kit as you would for an overnighter as its a weekend game.

Thanks for your replyies guys, been chatting to a guy who's going & sounds like a typical exercise except with the night off :)

One question that's arisen, can we leave extra ammo in spare mags or do they have to be loose

You can carry 600 rounds on your person in mags (no loose ammo).

You can store/cache extra ammo (either loose or in mags) somewhere in the battlefield area. MDF normally store extra ammo in their FOB to allow reloading when they return from sorties or patrols.

My mate sent me your info file for rules etc & the bloke I spoke to earlier said to store rations etc at the FOB but glad we can put them in extra mags as I'd rather do that then leave them loose

I have done 2 okto games now (2nd in command in the last game) and I think in terms of gear and how you organise yourself these are the ways I do it.

MDF have a forward operating base and you are goiing to want to leave a bag here. It should contain lunch, extra water, BBs, loader, spare smoke and flash grenades and any spare stuff you might need through the day like extra clothing.

On your person you will want your mags, water (at least 1L), snack food, grenades (1 smoke, 1 flash) and your baofeng radio (we use VHF and UHF) with a headset. I also have some spare eye pro and cleaning kit to deal with fogging which does happen occasionally in 8 hours even with my turbo fan. Most of the guys in these games are actually using ballistic glasses not goggles.

I wouldn't bother with a pistol on this site, there is only one place I would have appreciated having one and its just weight and awkwardness you don't need. I think its also worth mentioning that the site that will be used in December does not have any water pipes on it so water is a major concern for the weekend. If you are coming in a car bring water to last the weekend, its a lot of water. The MDF tend to be the first guys ready on a morning and they often insert into the zone on time as well (unlike the rebels who last time were like 2 hours late!) so we go out on patrol and search the terrain and other things before the game has fully started. So make sure you know how your kit goes together, you have tested it all works and set your radio up before you arrive and know how to use it.

Other gear you might want for the evenings and such which perhaps some wouldn't consider is things like a flashlight and batteries, food for the evening (although Saturday night MDF has a history of going to the pub or chinese takeout). I don't know who is in charge next game, not sure if Pete is back or if I'll attend but your commander may want certain things (a watch).

Its a great game, sometimes its standing there with your eyes on the woods watching for movement in a defensive position and other times its all out deadly chaos and everything in between. The radio comms, the story and everything comes together to make it feel very real sometimes. I love the games and I love the comms/command/coordination aspect of these types of milsims.

Very much appreciated guys with some good advice, I'm glad you mentioned about the water

Turns out there's 4 of us going now :)

Don't think we've received any bookings from your group yet (difficult with all these pen names on forums !).

Once you register you get access to your own force group so you can receive privileged intel and swop useful information with organisers and team mates.

Waiting for confirmation aswell :) & so buzzing about it

Even the cold camp out :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.