Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol vs silicone

proffrink

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

I found this video pretty interesting. If you don't know, this is the same guy that 'invented' the mainstream R-Hop patch.

Now I'd always taken it that alcohol cleaned better because of its solvent properties (video seems to confirm this), but to see this it looks like I'll be doing a final run of the inside of my barrels with silicone again as it seems to make them stay cleaner longer.

That said though, it does look like when he wipes the areas at the end that they clean at the same rate, so maybe the difference is negligible if you've got a stream of BBs and air blasting out the inside anyway.

Follow up:

• Supporters

soz but was skipping bits n pieces

but my gut feeling was isoprol to clean and a lightly damp sqeezed out cloth of silicone run down say 80 to 85% of barrel

(mark on cleaning rod where the hop or bucking is and keep an inch away from that mark - common sense really)

then a dry cloth if poss to polish off

That was what I rolled with - but really gotta keep away from hop or you gotta strip it down and wash bucking in washing up liquid

Washing up liquid is about one of best de-greasers to remove slicone oil

coz it is a bitch to clean up spills at work of it

but jeez it is bloody good stuff we use to reduce drag in print industry on folders & guillotines etc...

spill it on floor and it is really like an ice skating rink - really slippery stuff and only a tiny amount needed

(so spills that happened in past need to dealt with properly coz it is a bit dangerous in workplace floor)

but yeah more slippery than an italian waiter round ya bird on holiday

and yeah sounds like the R-hop bloke or bloke that has done numerous r-hop & barrel lapping vids

edit: small additional bit of info about silicone oil and stuff......

Like I said it greatly reduces drag on our machines at work - mega fact there

BUT also it greatly reduces static - which on our machines causes very weird bizarre results of materials (paper)

not behaving as expected - the static can create even further drag n stuff (you really need to see this to believe it)

Especially with digitally printed stock/paper that still has a "charge" left it in it

fine quick spray and machines run as expected once again for a while

(presume the fine coating seperates m/c & static paper to transfer freely etc.. but I dunno the exact science crap on this)

BUT it does help to minimise or assist in regaining control of weird static sheets through the folding machines....

Anyway - soz for additional bollox but like a plastic comb or balloon or all other basic static fun science tests.....

Often wondered if any minor slight possible static could ever be picked up as the plastic bb is fired or dragged/pushedd

down the steel/aliminium/brass barrel after the rubber hop has created magnus thingy majig....

My own gut feeling and untested hunch btw - is very very little possible chance of static building up but none the less

there could be a very very slight possible chance that "maybe" some bb's might have or be prone to "static" than others ?

Anyway - this is very very slim possible chance of it happening or stuff but again silicone does yeild good results

for when static can cause really weird effects or results in my line of work.....

A final word of caution though - though this won't transform your aeg into a dmr when a little barrel polishing is done

I would not advise you polish a barrel on a gun running a bit "warm" as I would expect a slight possible increase in fps

from the reduced drag and smoother movement of bb down barrel

Not an additional 100fps crap but quite likely a possible 10 or 15fps maybe more if ya barrel is really full of crap

So if ya gun is shooting quite close to ya site's limit and in need of a clean - maybe ease off the silicone

(well at least until its passed the chrono coz I'd expect it might just go a smidge higher if polished correctly)

common sense stuff but really use with caution only say 80% down the barrel coz it will screw ya hop right up if it gets in there

• Root Admin

Yeh, it was a bit long winded.

In summary for everyone (from what was said in the videos):

• clean with isopropyl alcohol
  • apply thin layer of silicone to make surface 'more slippery' before cleaning off
  • don't get silicone anywhere near your hop up rubber as it will warp it or - at the very least - provide less traction on the BB as it passes over it (resulting in less spin)

It's definitely the HSA chap talking, so I guess he's worth his salt.

This is Hunterseeker5, he makes the R hop patches amoung other things (like special clips for gearbox maintenance, better feeders for magazines that don't jam and lapping kits to improve barrels even PDI). The guy knows his stuff and he tests it as well which is the key point. His videos often ramble on for ever and they seem to elude to things he has done which aren't on the channel and I for the life of me can't find the things he eludes to on places like airsoftmechanics. Regardless he is one of the most respected airsoft inventors and mechanics out there.

• Root Admin

Er, didn't we both just say we knew exactly who he was? Heh. HSA = Hunter Seeker Armouries - his Google page where the R-Hop and his 3D printed stuff resides. You might find that stuff he's talking about on there. I've ordered from there a couple of times and recognised his voice and channel name as I obviously watched the R-Hop install video a year or so back :)

• 5 months later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.