GHK G5 GBBR questions

Jedi_Master

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

Does anyone own, or have experience with, a GHK G5 GBBR? What is it like to use?

I know that it is not based on an original real steel but it appears to be a reasonably priced (£265) starter gas rifle. Its size would make it good for CQB. Also it has quad rails for attaching a flashlight and foregrip, etc.

Does it reliably work in cold weather? Adverts claim it can go to -10 C, if true then it would be perfect for the UK weather, and useful all year.

Are there other gas magazines that work with the GHK G5? The proprietary ones cost £45-55, so a cheaper option would be good. Especially as each low-cap mag only holds 38-40 bb.

Can the stock tube/adaptor which allows M4 style stocks also take MP5 or HK416C collapsible stocks?

Can you attach a sling to the G5? If so, is it one, two or three point attachment?

Guest PT247

Yup, cracking little gun out the box (after cleaning the inner barrel).
Mine worked on gas all year but the fps does drop a little when cold so I always made sure I had an AEG in the safe zone incase it was too sluggish.
Other mags can be made to fit but then it will suffer more cool down... it is the GHK mags that create the magic! :D
Buy your mags from Samoon, they do a buy one get one half price which due to the exchange rate works out at around £50-£60 for 2 mags. I purchased all my mags, my gun and various spare parts all from Samoon, very fast shipping and fantastic customer service.
I have seen a G5 with a 416 collapsable stock, takes a bit of modding though and I don't think it is worth it. A weak spot on the G5 is the lower receiver, it will self destruct if you shoot it with the OE stock folded, so I really don't recommend modding the rear for a stock that is not really all that comfy even on the gun it was intended for!
You can, it has a sling point, if you fit an M4 stock then you open up more options for slings. I just use a single point if I bother.

I have modified mine somewhat now, if I were to run it on gas it would pump out 500fps, I run HPA with a self built hi-cap so don't have to lug around heavy gas mags that only hold 35 BBs :D

DSC_0107_zpsmrwfe46w.jpg

Does anyone own, or have experience with, a GHK G5 GBBR? What is it like to use?

I know that it is not based on an original real steel but it appears to be a reasonably priced (£265) starter gas rifle. Its size would make it good for CQB. Also it has quad rails for attaching a flashlight and foregrip, etc.

Does it reliably work in cold weather? Adverts claim it can go to -10 C, if true then it would be perfect for the UK weather, and useful all year.

Are there other gas magazines that work with the GHK G5? The proprietary ones cost £45-55, so a cheaper option would be good. Especially as each low-cap mag only holds 38-40 bb.

Can the stock tube/adaptor which allows M4 style stocks also take MP5 or HK416C collapsible stocks?

Can you attach a sling to the G5? If so, is it one, two or three point attachment?

1) I both own and use a g5. Its bloody good fun and a cracking little rifle. It's not the most accurate in the world, but it's not bad by a long shot

2) its loosely based on a cz scorpion evo 3. It's a great starter rifle owing to its gas efficiency and how easy it is to field strip and maintain

3) it works amazing in cold weather. Ignore the redwolf propaganda video (its not the least bit scientifically accurate). Mine was going strong when it was hovering just above freezing and my WE pistol gave up the ghost. The fps did suffer a little, and using it in cold conditions will strain the nozzle assembly and lower receiver. Some people have had issues with their lower receiver cracking, but this is usually due in part to user-mods like converting to hpa or plating with the power.

4) You might find some mags that work, I think the GHK m4 mags work, but I've heard of issues using the g5 mags in other guns. I definitely recommend sticking with the g5 mags, they're really reliable, easy to look after and great in the cold due to their high thermal mass

5) I've seen someone with a 416 collapsible stock, but I'm not sure about mp5 stocks. The adaptor takes an AEG style buffer tube.

6) it has a rear sling point for a one point sling (look at the rear left side of the top rail). It's plastic but pretty tough, and mine isn't showing any signs of wear after a few months rough treatment.

If you are joining us on the dark side the g5 is a great way to start. Just be ready to give it a good ten minutes Sat down with some tissue a d silicone oil after every game, and look after the internals, particularly within the bolt assembly

Guest PT247

Oh as a side note: the GHK M4 mags fit, they hold 40 BBs so you can get a few extra shots but still retain the GHK mag magic, they are Stanag style mags tho so not as nice as the G5 p-mags IMO.

Oh as a side note: the GHK M4 mags fit, they hold 40 BBs so you can get a few extra shots but still retain the GHK mag magic, they are Stanag style mags tho so not as nice as the G5 p-mags IMO.

They won't be as good as the g5 mags in the cold as polymer has a much greater thermal mass, ie holds more heat energy at room temperature to bleed back into your gas well after it's cooled down

Plus a metal mag in a g5 would look crap. Join the p-mag revolution!

Guest PT247

TBH the m4 mag case hardly touches the internals. Doubt very much it would make any difference on cool down. The mag I converted to a hi-cap was a GHK M4 mag and before the conversion it worked equally as well as the G5 mags!

TBH the m4 mag case hardly touches the internals. Doubt very much it would make any difference on cool down. The mag I converted to a hi-cap was a GHK M4 mag and before the conversion it worked equally as well as the G5 mags!

That's the point, the polymer case does touch the internals. So they share heat. I haven't used an m4 mag so I don't know how much difference it'll make, but I thought it would be noticeable

Guest PT247

Although I didn't stress test the mag on gas it felt just as snappy as the G5 mag. The internals are identicle except the feed.

• Head Moderator

Thank you both for the information. Great to have feedback from owners and not just anti-gas hearsay or retailer propaganda. Appears that the G5 will be a good gas rifle to start with, and the maintenance is fairly straight forward. The polymer magazines are the key then, allowing all year round operation, shame that other manufacturers do not do the same. I did not expect the folding stock to break if it was in the folded position.

Guest PT247

The stock doesn't break, the lower reciever does. The v2 is less likely to do so. Mine was fine until I overpowered it with air so my own fault.

aye, NEVER fire the gun with the stock folded. folding the stock is only to make it easier to store and easier to carry inside vehicles. if you feel you might get the temptation in some CQC, fit the stock tube adaptor that comes with the gun, buy an AEG buffer tube (theres a ghk one specifically for the G5 which will cost you about £20) and put a cheapo stock on there.

theres another thread just above this one LINK where someone who just bought a g5 asked about maintenance, ive put a couple of posts in there detailing my daily maintenance i carry out after every skrimish and if you read down it also covers the best way to fix a mag leaking gas

• Head Moderator

I can see the convenience of a folding stock for carrying or putting into gun bag/case but I am not a fan. Prefer the HK style collapsible stock. At least I now know not to shoot while folded, could be an expensive mistake. The maintainance guides are excellent, could be a good item for a sticky thread.

Are there any storage issues with the G5 magazines in pouches, i.e. Cannot double stack them in chest rig due to size.

Are there any storage issues with the G5 magazines in pouches, i.e. Cannot double stack them in chest rig due to size.

they seem the same size as standard STANAG mags, though i use the open-top bungee closure pouches and simply thread a second pouch onto the front of the first. i do however own an army surplus ammo grab bag, which has three double mag pouches on the front, each of which comfortably holds two G5 mags

the biggest issue i find, which is particularly noticable in the snug bungee closure pouches, is that the knocker sits proud of the back of the mag, and can easily get snagged on the top of the pouch as you put it in the pouch. that said, after a few skirmished practicing, i dont have any issue with it any more, and i havent accidentally pressed the knocker whilst loading the very stiff mags giving myself a freeze burn for a while...

• 2 weeks later...

Can I say it is a real steal weapon. The g5 is the issue rifle to the Georgian millitery.

Georgian Military may use something with the designation G5, but it is categorically *not* at all like the GHK G5, so no, it isn't a representation of a Real Steel Firearm. Source: http://www.geo-army.ge/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=735:-qq-&catid=4&Itemid=〈=en Pictures 64-85.

Yea. The g5 takes inspiration from the scorpion evo 3 but definitely isn't trying to replicate it accurately, hence the 5.56 magazine

Ahh I stand corrected. I blame Google for providing duff pictures.

Sometimes even your greatest ally can be an enemy :P

I had one for a while, great gun very very well built. light as a feather.

Would be a great gun for CQB makes a nice sound and has some kick.

Didnt really gel with me using it at a woodland field. the 30rounds and mediocre range put me at too much of a disadvantage to AEG's for my liking.

Also has a problem where bb's hit the flash cage and exploded. not sure what causes it, i also had a few jams, bb's getting stuck in the bolt.

The mags were amazing the best I have ever seen, great gas retention and made to the highest quality i have ever seen.

Maybe you want this product for you magazine. It can keep magazine warm in cold weather.

Laylax Magazine Pouch Inner Warmer for Gas Magazine

16c69025cee20bbb43c190e41bed81c9.image.3

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.