Looking for a hard rifle case. Plano?

Aunty Pasty

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm contemplating getting a hard rifle case to use instead of current soft rifle bag. There's nothing particularly wrong with it really. However the padding isn't as thick as I'd expected it to be and the gun moves around a bit. I'm imagining that it's wearing away the paint on my fire selector switch.

I'm looking for a double rifle case and I came across these Plano cases on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-10586-Double-Scoped-Shotgun/dp/B001MYGM5A/ref=sr_1_22?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1429600295&sr=1-22

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-Promax-PillarLock-Series-Double/dp/B000P583SQ/ref=pd_cp_sg_1

Does anyone have any experience with Plano or these cases? The reviews on one of them suggests a quality control problem but if they're any good I'm willing to pay a bit extra and send it back if there is a problem.

Thanks

• Supporters

I've got one like the first of your links and there's 2 issues:

The guns slip about in them, depending on whether or not your guns have any weak points it does open them up to getting damaged as they can potentially hit the case where the padding ends. You can basically pick it up by the carry handle and shake it gently and all the guns will shift to one end.

This case is also massive, it doesn't actually fit in the boot of my car as it's too long.

Personally I use one of these: http://www.uktactical.com/p-690-warrior-twin-rifle-bag.aspx

No idea if they will be getting them back in stock, build quality is great. After a year and a halfish of use the only signs of wear are it's a bit dusty. It has a large main pouch that will fit an LMG with velcro straps so it can't shift about, above that there's another smaller pouch that fits my HK416 and also has straps. Then above that there's 3 smaller pouches, 2 of which hold about 7 PMAGs/M4 mags each and the 3rd has straps to lock down a pistol plus two elastic loops for mags.

I don't know if the slipping is standard with hard cases but it happens with that one sometimes just picking the case up... Mine now just acts as a storage box under my bed for whatever guns aren't in my main gun bag.

How about replacing the existing foam with something like memory foam but make it just that little bit deeper thst when the case is closed, the foam forms around it more

• Supporters

You could do that, another option would be to cut outlines for the guns so they stay put. I'd have thought the RIS on my HK416 would bite into the eggshell foam and stop it moving but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I think you would be better off getting a decent soft case with straps to secure the guns but of course it is your choice at the end of the day. I'm sure the warrior assault systems case isn't the only one with straps either but that's the only one I can personally vouch for.

Ive only ever used these Plano cases for rifles and pistols.

Never had a problem with quality and they have hasps for padlocks to be put on.

The foam is the egg shell kind and wont hold the weapons in place if you pick them up by the handle. I tend to keep mine flat anyway,

You might need to cut out the foam top and bottom if you need vertical retention.

I use four different sizes for different weapons. Some are large enough for two rifles, some for two pistols.

I tend to get them from a UK supplier which I find cheaper than Amazon.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into cutting the foam or adding a layer of pick and pluck foam to help stop the guns moving around. Also thanks for mentioning the length. It didn't occur to me that it might not fit into my car which would be a bit awkward.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.