Long Range Radio/ Walkie Talkie

mcduff1979

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi all,

i am looking for a good long range walkie talkie / 2 way radio set that had a good long range and is clear, i have a license from ofcom valid for 5 years, so looking for a long range headset to accompany said license.

i have a set of cobra mt645's but range drops out at about 500m in wooded areas, of which there are many in the sites local to me.

i have not found any so far, hope someone can help

my budget is about £100 per headset and i need 4, also looking for an option like the bowman headset that's compatible with any radio i buy.

problem with the baofeng uv-5r i have read that they are a pain to program, even using a stand alone ease-of-use program called chirps

any advice is greatly appreciated, as im trying to get a full uk loadout, but i really want a good long range radio with the option for the bowman style headset

Its Kenwood on the Baofeng.

You dont have much supplier choice with Bowman (Z Tac or Element).

I have a bone conduction headset on order from a US company and will see how that performs.

The problem is that you either buy cheap Z Tacs and they often break or you spend a lot of money on the real thing.

People cant always afford the real thing just for Airsoft.

Its a pity nobody makes a mid range product.

There is a guy in Chelmsford who converts real Bowmans but never used him.

• Supporters

Sorry I don't know if there are any not cheap ones. I had a cheap one, it broke, and it also impeded my hearing that side so I went to find a solution that works better for me and my sweaty ears. :D

No Baofengs are brilliant radios. Ive got three. Of course, if you lay on them or fall on them, they will break.

You dont need them exposed - just make sure you can access the volume knob.

Anyway at that price, they are sacrificial in game.

You buy the PTT separately. Its a product of whichever headset you use.

Generally its hard wired and sits on your chest somewhere. Thats how the British Army use Bowmans anyway..

If you look at the NEV site I linked to, he suppliesreal recon Bowmans and a PTT to link to a Kenwood connection for the Baofeng. Not cheap but better than keep replacing Z Tacs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.