Silent heads - worth the money?

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Having now finished messing about with my M4 my attention has drifted towards my AK (CYMA CM045A AKS74U) and its noisy ass gearbox. Now - I would like to fit a TBB to improve the grouping but the main issue I have is that even with an M90 spring in it the fps is on the high side (I only just scraped under the 340 limit at the mall last time by chronoing it with the hop on) so I'm thinking of whacking in a sorbo pad but then I wondered about silent heads. So are they worth bothering with or not? I know the rest of the GB is a bit noisy anyway (it's a CYMA - go figure) but I'm looking to use it as a simple way of dropping the fps off a bit as well without dicking around cutting the spring.

My M4 has the same M90 spring and the sorbo pad + AoE adjustment seems to help keep it under 340fps (barrel length is about the same 260mm for the AK, 300mm for the M4).

• Supporters

my noob findings atm.....

use silent piston head without a "proper" ASG or ultimate cylinder head and you will probably lose a bit

but did use one with proper Ultimate head and got very good results

Alas I put in a m115 spring + AOE and got 390/395 - oops so need to put in SHS m100 or usual Element m105

(not m115 - dooohhhhhh) but think 395 was good from m115

did get 340 from m105 without "proper" cylinder and doing AOE etc.....

these are the only 2 silent heads I have fitted so far so results are a little mixed and not 101% accurate with fitting m115

so my own noobish views are still a little unclear on them but think unless you fit proper stuff on there you may lose a bit

Ultimate coloured heads deffo do seem better than other brass types like Element ones

Thing is it is still a little bit of guessing game as no 2 builds are quite exactly the same - even on same gun/model

cylinder type/port, barrel to cylinder ratio, some springs are stronger than others so the mXXX can vary a lot on other makes

sorry can't give you a deffo yes/no but think they might drop it slightly unless you pair it with proper cyl head

or you are than bloody good at building box's with complete zero air loss all over

cylinder port should be about 3/4 aprox but even then some descriptions are a bit off

I would call some cylinders with 1/2 way porting more like 3/4 type porting

or some ports are so tiny & right at end you wonder if they really doing much

so with this crap I just posted you can only try it n see - AOE will reduce, silent possible reduction too

if just over then maybe leave spring cocked overnight to "bed in" or lose a bit like most springs do over time

I'm sure your builds are much much more efficient than my humble ones - soz I can't give a deffo 101% answer

(actually I probably made this post more confusing now like most stuff I type)

If you buy the "proper" Ultimate or ASG/Lonex stuff then £25 and end of day it ain't silent, only a slightly slightly

slightly quieter "thud" that was all, if box is a bit schreechy or noisy then the silent factor means very little anyway

Well I ain't gonna buy & replace them in all my builds - most stock stuff works perfectly fine when AOE & seals sorted

which is what I have read on some techy sites and now am finding its true - if I shim/grease/aoe/seals etc.. properly

think Samurai said cyma's may have a decent 6.04 barrel in their AK's anyway so your AK may not need much spent on it

just the usual service/tweak on box and possible spring change if really needed but AOE will drop it

M90 hitting 340 though - wow that is very efficient but some springs like guarder used to rate on .25's a while back

so it can get even more confusing with spring ratings in some setups etc.....

Most aeg gunsmiths will often stick to certain brands of upgrades as they know what to expect in their builds

where is the ultra fit Ian AK guy when you need him - not seen him recently but think he would know about it all

• Supporters

Thanks for that.

Of course just because it doesn't NEED much spent on it doesn't mean I'm not going to throw money at it like it's going out of fashion. :)

• Supporters

indeed - in fact my credit card screams at me to slow down

springs though are very varied - I have gotta finish a crappy cheapo plastic M4 spring tester

basically an old plastic M4 front wired QD quick change spring box with hole in back of receiver

then I can quickly check some old springs out and keep/bin them and have a rough idea...

Then with findings of old/new springs I can see what I expect to achieve if using them on my next build

think most are too lame to bother with but would be good to get a "rough" idea of what to expect

yet another bloody thing to finish off - then I buy something else and forget what I started last week

• Supporters

I've found that. The ASG Ultimate springs and the SHS super shooter ones seem to run about 10fps above what more run of the mill ones do. The M90 SHS Super Shooters are the ones I'm struggling to keep under 340fps!

• Supporters

is it piston "slapping" or gear box whine?

if its gear box whine, consider using tefelon grease ;)

as for silent piston heads, i honestly don't think they work (or they didn't in my TM mp5K ... That said my g7g L85's piston is extremely quiet, no idea why)

• Supporters

is it piston "slapping" or gear box whine?

if its gear box whine, consider using tefelon grease ;)

as for silent piston heads, i honestly don't think they work (or they didn't in my TM mp5K ... That said my g7g L85's piston is extremely quiet, no idea why)

Little from column A, little from column B. Both issues are something I'd like to address but one thing at a time....

• Supporters

a decent pom piston head.

Any recommendations?

• Supporters

I can feel an Airlab order coming on...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.