AK's - what is there, which should I buy?

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
I've just popped another iron in the fire however, which ought to be glowing by early next week, which could result in a spectacularly cheap solution, so i'll let you know if/when...

Ah well, they came back quickly and that's always a bad sign, right? It is in this case anyway - forget it :(

• Supporters

Check last post for edit, Loz. Some interesting info ;)

Keep me in the loop buddy! As mentioned by PM I'm a bit light on funds having just dropped the thick end of £350 on fencing but definitely up for a project AK soon!

• Supporters

Edit

Oh bugger, what I actually came back for was to say: this & this on the CM.037

or this which, if it is actually a German site, will be cool re customs.

And the piece d'orgasm: this & (perhaps surprisingly, but take my word for it) this

I've just popped another iron in the fire however, which ought to be glowing by early next week, which could result in a spectacularly cheap solution, so i'll let you know if/when...

Tell you what, I'm rather liking that King Arms shorty as it is! Or maybe even the CM028b...

Just to add, Real Sword are awesome (I own one) but the hop-up isnt that great as they have a tendency to glue the hop up bucking onto the barrel. BB's literally dribble out of the end of mine when the hop is fully off! Going to get it fixed shortly with a new bucking/nub and barrel.

• Supporters

I dunno much about KA guns, but their AK parts I can personally vouch for as good.

The CM.028B would be a gamble - it would be powerful and last ages whatever, but it might not be accurate OOTB - you might have to fiddle with the hop or something - you should also be aware that because the materials are cheap, you don't want to be taking it apart a lot or the screw holes will get damaged and the little latch bits that hold the battery tray on (which are the definition of bad design BTW but nothing a bit of LX tape wont fix) get snapped.

- off the top of my head I'd say that, if you don't mind it being a tad noisy, a spring downgrade is all it actually needs (and tg will do that for you). Trying to make an .028 quiet is a bit of a mug's game though, i've found to my cost - the plastic receiver is always going to let a lot of GB noise through so basically you have to go with a silent head set and/or sorbo pads (which seem to be a real ballache to make stay in position), a good shim job, and regreasing and even then it wont be quiet, just only as noisy as an an average decent AEG!

- the gears don't look like much, but so long as you detension the main spring (by reaching inside the GB with a hook made from a bent paperclip, up through where the motor was attached, to pull the anti-reversal latch a couple of times to let it spin backwards) before opening the GB shell every time you do it, they'll do fine even at silly RsOF.

- if you should feel tempted to replace the air seal nozzle, be aware that you need the short type replacement and if an ad doesn't say long or short, it will be too long. 19.7mm is what you want. Coincidentally enough I've just found a source for ali ones with an O-ring, but I haven't actually tried them yet so i can't say y/n.

Just to add, Real Sword are awesome (I own one) but the hop-up isnt that great as they have a tendency to glue the hop up bucking onto the barrel. BB's literally dribble out of the end of mine when the hop is fully off! Going to get it fixed shortly with a new bucking/nub and barrel.

Apparently the hop up rubber is very hard and cast weirdly,it has a 'break in period' of 200 rounds usually,according to some guys on reddit firing through a hicap usually helps. Bbs dribbling out the end is usually common when it's off on stock guns. It's aftermarket rubbers with larger contact bumps that stop that.

The glue on the end actually offers fantastic air seal,which is why the guns are so consistent.

• Supporters

I dunno much about KA guns, but their AK parts I can personally vouch for as good.

The CM.028B would be a gamble - it would be powerful and last ages whatever, but it might not be accurate OOTB - you might have to fiddle with the hop or something - you should also be aware that because the materials are cheap, you don't want to be taking it apart a lot or the screw holes will get damaged and the little latch bits that hold the battery tray on (which are the definition of bad design BTW but nothing a bit of LX tape wont fix) get snapped.

- off the top of my head I'd say that, if you don't mind it being a tad noisy, a spring downgrade is all it actually needs (and tg will do that for you). Trying to make an .028 quiet is a bit of a mug's game though, i've found to my cost - the plastic receiver is always going to let a lot of GB noise through so basically you have to go with a silent head set and/or sorbo pads (which seem to be a real ballache to make stay in position), a good shim job, and regreasing and even then it wont be quiet, just only as noisy as an an average decent AEG!

- the gears don't look like much, but so long as you detension the main spring (by reaching inside the GB with a hook made from a bent paperclip, up through where the motor was attached, to pull the anti-reversal latch a couple of times to let it spin backwards) before opening the GB shell every time you do it, they'll do fine even at silly RsOF.

- if you should feel tempted to replace the air seal nozzle, be aware that you need the short type replacement and if an ad doesn't say long or short, it will be too long. 19.7mm is what you want. Coincidentally enough I've just found a source for ali ones with an O-ring, but I haven't actually tried them yet so i can't say y/n.

All that considered - wouldn't there be the same issues (noise, geras, accuracy etc) with the CM037? To be honest I wouldn't have a problem with it being a bit noisy - I always think of AKs as being quite noisy anyway so it kinda works for me!

I guess I was just liking the CM028B for the looks and it being cheap! As I say that KA shorty is rather nice.

Also - how does the ASG/Arsenal Spetznaz Beta compare?

Apparently the hop up rubber is very hard and cast weirdly,it has a 'break in period' of 200 rounds usually,according to some guys on reddit firing through a hicap usually helps. Bbs dribbling out the end is usually common when it's off on stock guns. It's aftermarket rubbers with larger contact bumps that stop that.

The glue on the end actually offers fantastic air seal,which is why the guns are so consistent.

Thats very useful to know, thanks! Sorry for the thread hijack but would you recommend changing the rubber or see how it goes?

• Supporters

Yeah Loz, I'd guess the CM.037 would be similar. As I say, if you don't mind noisy, and you don't, there's really no need to mess with CYMA's other than to downgrade the spring - even that doesn't need doing on a shorty like the .037 if your local site allows 370FPS - you could be lucky and get a full length one that just creeps in under 370 (mine did after it had been left for a few days with the spring compressed after firing full auto - with a speck of hop on). But to get under 350 you need a downgrade - an Element 105 is probably best, but tg don't sell them. Best from them is a Guarder SP100 which will give you a smidge over 330, but the hop is brilliant so long as the bump is nice and central and the barrel is clean (obviously lol). At £90 you can consider it a disposable and just use it until it dies then flog it for parts :lol:

• Supporters

Funnily enough, I've just taken an Element M105 out of my M4 because it pushed it over the 340FPS limit at the Malls! How handy!

• Supporters

That "german" king arms site is actually in Hong Kong...

• Supporters

^^Yeah, i'm not surprised. Bugger! That's about £27 in VAT + £? for the couriers' bend you over a barrel fee.

• Supporters

^^Yeah, i'm not surprised. Bugger! That's about £27 in VAT + £? for the couriers' bend you over a barrel fee.

They want £48 for shipping! :blink:

So yeah.....back to the cheap CYMA and "project" stylee I reckon! Plenty of good reviews for the CM028 online (granted lots of criticism of accuracy and wobbly stocks but for the money, what do you want?) so that's still a possibility I reckon. Anyway. Fences first.

Going to be painting a suppressor for someone soon so that'll help pay for it ;)

• Supporters

The ICS is the best AKS-74U without going mental on the cost - £200 from Landwarrior. £280 from Fire-Support mind. Needs a spring upgrade cos OOTB it fires @318FPS, but it is such a lovely gun.

• Supporters

The ICS is the best AKS-74U without going mental on the cost - £200 from Landwarrior. £280 from Fire-Support mind. Needs a spring upgrade cos OOTB it fires @318FPS, but it is such a lovely gun.

I had a look at those actually. 318 wouldn't be a problem for me as I pretty much only play CQB anyway plus I have others that can/could fire harder!

• Supporters

Well in that case, Loz, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Not far off as solid as the real steel I reckon, apart from the welds which connect the stock to the hinge. Not that they're crap, just that you couldn't have it held by 2 other people so you could stand on it for a leg up.

• Supporters

^^Good lard, no! It's steel. Almost as heavy as an ICS L85.

Archived