upgrading my GR4

almurry
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want to upgrade my G&G GR4 S26 and I have been shopping around and looking at the internals like pistons spring guides anti reversal thingys I don’t have a clue what I what but what I do know it I want to keep the power down to if not just under 350fps or if in face make it so that I can swap out the spring to have it at 350 when I want for one sites limit and 370 for another I also want a faster motor I have been looking around and I want the G&P M170 high torque motor pic attached for the rate of fire.

If this means that I will have to build a new gearbox can you help with what parts I will need to get to make it

Thank you

post-6924-0-98905100-1386177323_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

What does it fire at now and more importantly what doesn't it do that you want it to?

its fireing at around 336fps and i want 350 but be able to swap the spring without taking the gearbox appart apart to make it 370 and have a high rtae of fire so a new motor like above

• Supporters

Most gearboxes aren't designed for a "quick change spring" so you'd need to change it for one that is. Ares do one in their M4 or there is an aftermarket one: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=33763 but I'm not sure that either would be an "upgrade" from your existing gearbox.

• Supporters

That QD gearbox says it is good up to 550fps but I think you'd be into upgrading internals pretty quickly (I may be wrong but a $70 gearbox doesn't fill me with confidence for longevity). Bearing that in mind once you've bought the gearbox, new springs, new gears etc etc plus all the grief involved you'd be better off just whacking a new spring in the G&G to get it up to 370 and buying a second AEG to use at sites with lower FPS limits (or even sack the whole thing off and get something like the G&G G2010 with an adjustable spring).

• 2 weeks later...

Power isn't everything you know. Buying a new spring or whatever 336 - 350 is sort of unnecessary if you ask me but I'm no airsoft tech or anything. Most guns don't have the quick change spring systems as Lozart said. Only the more expensive and new designs of guns really seem to have them.

The physical difference you will see between 336 and 350 will be almost nothing, you are far better off improving the hop unit and barrel for greater and more consistent accuracy, Massive ROF is pointless anywhere other than cqb and a motor like that will just tear your gears and piston to bits, there are far better motors out there like the lonex A series which will raise your ROF slightly without destroying your gearbox

If I were you I would spend my money on a better hop unit, decent bucking and a Prometheus barrel and leave the rest well alone, the barrel and better bucking will normally raise the fps anyway due to better air seal

Besides most sites don't let you use full auto in close quarters anyway.

I agree with Spatch, it's best to the upgrade accuracy and reliability of your gun.

Also, I've heard BB Bastards are undisputed oh superior pellets since they don't have any air bubbles inside them and they will improve your performance massively. I'm yet to use them myself and this is what Patrol Base told me (who are seemingly like their main stockists) so their opinions are potentially biased. Nevertheless I'd recommend you try them.

Archived