knee pads

Maff-7777
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Can anyone recommend good knee pads, where the straps don't bunch up behind the knee uncomfortably?

M.

You should look at Emerson Gen. 2 Combat Pants, with the integrated knee pads. The pads themselves sit inside of the pants, meaning they can't slip and don't need to be strapped around the back of your legs. I personally run a pair and they're possibly my favourite art of my entire loadout!

• Supporters

TBH you're looking at spending a bit to get what you want, unless you're a patient ebay ninja. I run Hatch Centurion and they're really good, but not perfect, or cheap...

But all is not lost:

34y7.jpg

If you add a loop like these I sewed onto a pair of my S95 kecks, they stop the pads moving much so the straps don't end up getting right in the crook of your knee. You only need one loop on each leg, on the outside, for the lower pad strap. You should be fine with a £12-15 set of knee and elbow pads from a Chinese ebay seller and loops like these, just don't put them through the washing machine!

Edit: I mean the cheap pads, not the kecks with loops on :lol: - they fall apart after about 3 washes...

• Supporters

yeah

get your kecks good and comfy, put your knee pads on, mark where the lower strap crosses the outer seam while you're standing, then crouch down and check that the elastic will stretch far enough to stay comfy - make the loops a bit wider than you need for ease of use

I made my loops out of bits of DPM I cut off the lower legs of another pair I made into shorts, with some folded bias binding behind as reinforcement, but webbing, elastic, any cloth would do.

• Supporters

If you mean me, yeah i'll do it tomorrow when there's enough light, because my phone flash bleaches pics a bit.

• Supporters

Sorry i didn't get around to it - i've been out most of today and having new phone issues which have been taking up most of my attention.

There's always 2moz :lol:

Oh hang on, I might be able to get enough light in the bathroom...

You're in luck:

8lph.jpg

xijr.jpg

2yk3.jpg

n7dx.jpg

So you can see, although the straps go across the back of my knee, it's only their edges that could be a problem. They don't get pulled so that the whole strap is in the crook of the knee getting scrunched as i bend it. As it happens the edges are just fine. I can feel 'em, but they're comfy. I suppose I could add 3 more loops to the kecks to keep the straps exactly where I want them, but A. ICBA and B. I suspect they're more comfy with a bit of leeway in 'em.

If the top 2 pics leave you thinking sieg heil or pass the Pimms old chap, what what? It's just because there's stuff in the cargo pockets. It's not necessary for knee pads to make your kecks look like jodhpurs, see >>

Oh yeah, and check the fcuking BB's on the bathroom floor! What a lazy bastard!

Archived