Painting Question

cbirchy87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

When I have got my UKARA ill be returning my rifle to stock colour. got a replacement stock and pistol grip. the metal handrail i want to spray as they are £100 each. what can be used to strip the current paint off. Paint striper? or sandpaper......what would give the best finish (like new) will it need a primer as well?

was looking at this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165495

Cheers guys

• Supporters

Nitromors will take EVERYTHING off, down to bare metal

Surprisingly fairy power spray works, you just have to soak whatever you want to strip in it for couple of hours, then use a stiff brush the paint should come off, repeat as necessary ;)

Ive been told power spray is great, but i cant find it anywhere in Brighton, UK. If power spray only strips of the first green layer that would be great. If not i don't mind stripping all the way and starting fresh.

• Supporters

My local morrisons/tesco has it after searching a couple of places in town.

And trust me you won't want to start from fresh, the paint never sticks to monkey metal :P

Said it b4 on here I think dont use nitromores on any plastic, be like using a chocolate fire guard lol. I've used fairy power spray about 4 times now. Works great I spray item all over place in a carrier bag ( any platic bag will do) tie up, maybe spay one more time leave over night nxt day warm saopy water and a dishwashing brush . Wont harm plastic

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Id personally go with the "Sand it all down" Opition. I find when people use chemicals and try to rub the paint off you always get little bubbles left over.

Either way. make sure you strip it apart before painting it and fill any whole with expanding foam to insure that screws will fit once you assemble back together.

I've sprayed mine an it took perfect.

Just make sure it's clean, no grease or oil etc.

get some course sand paper or something else to key the surface for the primer.

I used halfords grey primer. It's about £7 a Tim and will work on plastic or metal.

Halfords car paints have all sorts of colours. Always spray in lots of thin coats and warm up the area around with a heat gun but not directly at the gun!!!!

Then go over it with Matt lacquer, again with a few thin coats as lacquer runs very easy.

Lacquer gives it a nice uniform finish and after a couple of days will go nice and hard to protect it as well.

Hope this helps.

What I do when repainting guns is sand down the paint until it's all off, soak it in soapy water (to remove all the grease), spray on primer, and then spray on the final colour. And if I want to make it as durable as possible, I spray on clear laquer and it lasts a lot longer and has a nice, smooth finish. There might be better and easier methods out there, but that's the way I always do it. Also, you will need masking tape so you don't end up painting half the gun.

A little Break down Id do.

>Disassemble the rifle. Separate the parts you want to paint and the pants you dont.

>Sand down the bare metal all the parts you wish to paint (or as far as you are willing to go with plastic)

>clean all surfaces that you intend to paint.

>fill screw holes with soft foam (like the foam on ear plugs) adn Mask any areas you do not wish to paint.

>apply your paint in thin coats to insure that the paint doesnt drip or run. (Kylon Paint is the most recommended paint for airsoft)

>for added durability of your paint, add a coat of lacquer.

>Use a Graffiti Pen to fill any gaps you've missed and areas missed by paint or under masked tape

Leave parts to stand for at least 12-24 hours for paint to properly set in a clean dry area.

>reassemble rifle and enjoy :D

Archived