ASG Scorpion vz.61

Grounded_Pilot
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right, well... Here's a quick review of this amazing SMG.

I don't do many reviews, so you know this is a good gun!

Right, so this is the ASG Scorpion vz.61 SMG...AEP power!

Ok I was skeptical to begin with... "Oh dear... it's an AEP..." well yes, it is!

The last AEP I owned as a CYMA G18c... that was pathetic... with a millennium between trigger pull and a shot fired!

This is not so with the scorpion! Even with the (crappy as) standard 7.2v AEP battery the trigger response is great, for a stock gun- especially for an AEP!

So let's start off with...

The look and feel:

IMG_16431.jpg

This is a Sportline gun. So a lot of it is plastic. Expected from a sub £100 gun really.. but what is this? Metallic finish and so many metal parts both internally and externally!

Also, it looks the bomb. Really looks like Czechnian gangster's gat!

Good:

-Nice (airsoft) laser etched markings

-Metal mags

-Lots of metal parts adding weight and feel.

-Love the folding stock over the gun. So good for compactness! Removed mine to fit in my holster

-Compact enough to fit in a Strike Systems drop leg holster!

Bad:

-Plastic bodied, but hey-ho, it's hard to actually feel it. Because of the cool-to-the-touch plastic finish.

-Mags are high caps... but only hold about 70rnds. Seems a bit pointless!!

-Sights are hard to use... but it's the same as the RS ones...!

-Thread adaptor supplied is too small for 90% of silencers.

Performance:

IMG_1640.jpg

This gun has great performance for a small gat! Good accuracy and range from stock. I'm talking hop capabilities to rise a 0.25g BB! Really not bad for an AEP! I have it set to about 30m right now on 0.2g BBs :D

The ROF is nothing amazing though, down to the battery + fuse combo probably. Will probably remove the battery and modify to use normal NiMH batteries soon :D

The battery life is good. Nothing amazingly long, but easily enough to cycle all 5 mags I have about twice each.

Good:

-Awesome range! For such a small gun!

-Good accuracy for a 70mm x 6.08mm barrel!

-VERY quiet. The suppressor dulls the air pocket a bit, but even so, it's a great sneaky back up.

-Hard hitting. Runs at the standard TM 270-280fps. Although this can be expected to drop a bit with age/use.

-Good battery life. The 700mAh 7.2v batteries last a good 8-10 mags. :)

-Mags feed perfectly!

-Decent trigger response- but room for improvement

-Adjustable hop unit!

Bad:

-Slow ROF... well for an AEP not bad. But it currently chuggs at about 700rpm. The real deal goes at about 850rpm.

-The trigger response is about 0.2 of a second. Not bad at all, but this is mainly due to the battery voltage... could really be snappy with a NiMH 8.4v!

Upgrades I suggest:

Definitely look at getting an 8.4v battery on there. There is some room in the pistol grip, where rather conveniently the fuse is accessible. Could easily run a set of wires through the base of the grip. Will have a go at this myself at a later date!

Tempted to fiddle with the hop/barrel

Additional things I got for it were: Suppressor, thread adaptor, AK grip, RIS rail, 4 extra 58rnd mags, 1 battery and a drop leg holster for the lot!

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

Video of the gun having a shoot :) (Sorry for the quality)

th_SV_A0043.jpg

Happy airsofting! :)

TBH, I thought my review was a bit all over the place!

I took my time on this one. I ordered the gun from JD airsoft for about £85 and bought the accessories 2nd hand (took a while to find all the mags!). :) Although I did get a specially machined thread adaptor for this silencer, because I was desperate to use it!

Just to clarify for people though, the package from new includes:

-Gun

-Charger

-700mAh 7.2v Battery

-58rnd Mag

-RIS + screws

-Thread adaptor

...not too bad for £85 new!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Supporters

I'm thinking of getting one this weekend. How is yours doing?

Do you know if TM mags fit in it?

How about a LiPo?

I thought the little hicap mags hold 100 rounds? And that the inner barrel is 127mm?

• 1 month later...

This looks like a really interesting back-up weapon, a change from the usual GBB pistol, nice as they usually are. At the price...? Rather tempted...!

• Supporters

I bought the JG one from Taiwan Gun in the end - lower receiver is metal, not metallic. I also bought 2 39rnd mid cap and 1 360rnd drum mag by Well and a PDI 6.01x127mm TBB - now chrono's @320FPS

I'm not impressed with the trigger response, but the ROF is fine. I have a 7.4V LiPo on the way and i'm going to add a MOSFET - if there's enough room, 16AWG wire...

I went old skool for the holster and bought a Czech police leather one which takes the gun with the folded stock in place - but is made for the short RS mag, so I had to modify it to carry a airsoft mag fitted. The matching RS mag pouch only just fits 2 in with the leather divider removed.

• Supporters

i have one :D

my hop isnt working atm (i think i may have fixed it though) :unsure:

The 90rd mag isnt that good imho, as i keep having to wind it after 20 -30 rds. The 370rd TM drum mag is excellent ... and looks soo cute :wub:

Like Ian, i am going to convert it, and i have some lipo's on there way to me, i found some 950mAh 7.4v that *should* fit :lol:

Archived