Downgrading my L96

MattWakefield
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right, ill put the basic specs of the gun here...

Well l96 mb-01

External

all pretty much stock, replaced a few brass nuts with steel etc but pretty much stock

Internals

Replaced entire cylinder unit with steel aternatives, piston head, spring guide, spring, cylinder, cylinder head

Replaced stock trigger with metal trigger box

Replaced plastic hop lever with steel one, still stock hop unit and bucking apart from that

[Although i have new bucking and spacers to put on]

Stock brass barrel

[ the madbull tightbore i ordered came bent, otherwise the spacers, bucking and barrel would also have been replaced]

took the useless foam spacers out and had tape just around the stock inner barrel

Thats pretty much it, i was mostly aiming my upgrading at durability and consistency, but ofc it boosted overall performance and velocity as well. Doing a poor mans fps test with the upgrades its going easily through the centre top and almost through the bottom again... which im pretty sure puts it in the upper reaches of 500, possibly hitting 600. Smashes glass with plastic 0.4s [not most glass, but if its been out in the cold it will] at about 20 metres. I really need to find ways of reducing my fps temporarily to somewhere around 300 without doing anything irrevocable to the gun, as the Northern Irish law hasnt yet caught up with the UK law, and so were still on the old no projectiles firing at over 100m/s [roughly 328 fps] even if they are purely for skirmishing/sporting purposes. But i still want to be able to up my fps for bigger events on the mainland etc. I found it slightly odd however that even out of the box, the gun wouldnt have been allowed, and there was no reducer sent with it either, mildly confusing.

So to boil it down, i need advice on temporary downgrades ;D

Yeah i have the stock spring still and it seems to be way lighter than the upgraded one, but im still firing around 200 fps faster than i want, it is very quiet with lighter spring, but i still need more velocity reduction ;D. I put up a thing about needing a velocity reducer on the wanted parts section, so hopefully i can use one of them as well as the lighter spring to bring it down enough. To be honest if id known that it was different here from the rest of the uk i probably would have went for the maruzen version which fires standardly at 325 fps but is more or less the same gun, with some slight build durability advantages. Really the gun behaves beautifully, nice and consistent at over 50m hitting a 6inch square target when its well taken care of.. wish i didnt have to maim its ability.

• Supporters

What spring did you buy? Because you won't get the stock one to nearly 600 FPS.

I bought a 500 FPS spring (sp150) and got 535, with near perfect air seals and a tightbore.

With an sp170 (rated 550 FPS), I got 585 FPS, but that's with all laylax parts, tightbore and air seals done.

The coke can test is extremely inaccurate for measuring FPS. I would recommend taking it to your local site next time you go and getting it chrono'd, but use a different weapon for the day.

I found that cutting 7 coils off an sp170 gets from 585 to 498 FPS.

So only cut the spring one coil at a time.

I'm not sure what spring you would need to get to 300 FPS, but you'd be better off, in a way, tto cut it; the gun will be nearly silent, especially if yoy pack the stock and barrel with foam , get a foam silencer and use heavier BBs.

I've still got a Laylax 110SP spring for an L96 that I used to fit in my old gun when I played at Dragon Valley, where there was a strict 350fps limit on ALL weapons. Yours for £10 posted if you want it. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the responses guys. So pretty much my options are to either clip a spring or find a fairly light spring on sale somewhere.

I Think ive seen a m80 spring btw so i think u can get lower, though i wouldnt be sure if it would even fit the length l96 cylinder, didnt see any dimensions.

Liam, nah thats using a m150 spring, stock one seems to be about 440-460 or so, got most of my parts from aspuk:

L96 Upgrade Set - Advanced [includes M150 Spring, L96 High Pressure Piston Advanced, L96 Adv Ball Bearing Spring Guide]

L96 Nickel Coated Steel Cylinder

L96 Steel Cylinder Head

L96 Metal Trigger Set

VSR Hop Bucking (WE) [takes some adjustment]

Barrel Spacers

Metal L96 Hop Lever

Also got a madbull tightbore 6.03 from action hobbies, the replacement straight one arrived today =]

Interesting RR01.. i may take you up on that.

• Supporters

150 will get you a max of 550, and that's an extreme max. I had all ASPUK parts and a 6.03 TBB and the 150 spring got me ~535.

Im just using the redwolf guide for it, and that seems to be about where it sits using that as a guide, i know it aint accurate, but i used as sound experimenting technique as i could, unspoiled cans for each shot, done over 30 of em lol. Im probably gonna just get about a 110 or so, shouldnt be hard to clip it at some point when i can use a chrono, hopefully will only take a bit of adjustment. Now to find one that fits... :rolleyes:

Archived