Is black really that bad?

Pandysec
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i have a black viper chest rig and its brilliant it goes with any camo you ware underneath weather its more black or flektarn, dpm desert or urban

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I'm in the process of creating an all black loadout, so I shall be able to report on the theory that it draws more hits. I'm doing it for the intimidation factor as well as cool lol!

Black Kit So Far

Small Crown Beret

3 Hole Balaclava

Military Headover (snood lol)

Welding Goggle type sheet mesh Eyepro

Hero Shark Eyepro

Viper Comforter

Viper UBACS

Warrior Systems RICAS PC base

Viper Security Belt System

Drop Leg Holster

Viper Knee Pads

Various Cargo Pants

More gloves than I can shake a stick at!

S10 Respirator

RUC Riot Helmet

Stuff I'm After

Blackhawk Triple AK Mag Molle Pouch

10" Water Bottle & Mess Molle Pouch

Viper Medic Molle Pouch

2x Double 7:62mm Mag Hard Plastic Holders

Double Pistol Mag Molle Pouch

Combo Phone & Radio Molle Pouch

8" Utility Molle Pouch

Molle Hydration Bladder Pouch

IMI USP Holster & Molle Adapter

Drop Leg Dump Pouch

Assault Hood for S10

Dunno what kecks to go for, any suggestions? Also, if anyone has any of my wants spare, I'll have cash in the new year...

• Supporters

P.S. My rifle still has SUSAT on it, ACOGs were bought as an UOR and are far from 'standard issue'.

You tell 'em, James!

Rum, sodomy and the lash makes a real man!

• Supporters

Let's get back on topic folks, if this carries on I'm going to mop the thread up a bit. As CK said, this is an airsoft forum, stick to airsoft. Slinging insults at each other isn't what we're here for and it's all just been stereotypical BS anyway. Give it a rest.

Mind the language as well, yer bunch o' beepin' beepers.

• Supporters

Bite my Beep you Bepping Sheep Beeper :lol:

to far? you left yourself wide open though...

Black is Meh if you like it use it just don't expect my condolence's when you step out of a Dark area or get a Light shined on you.

The SAS actually wear a very dark blue, not a full black.. But that will because they would be indoors at night so colour doesn't really do much and I imagine the fact its quite imposing will come into it as well.

The reason people say stay away from black is unless you're at night indoors with no lights you stand out like a sore thumb even.. at the outpost (urban/cqb/indoor site) if you wear black indoors, where there are no lights, you'll stand out really easily. The simple fact is nothing in nature is black (as in black black)

Indeed you are correct sir. Camo is there to add the illusion of depth, and black is not great at doing that because nothing in nature is solid black. Our eyes pick up on this as unnatural. I do like black for looks though. The only pure black kit I have is my MP5 (obviously) and my UBACS. The plate carrier is Tan, my balaclava is dark navy blue and the trousers are... Well they're cheap but I dont know the camo. They're not black! I think black goes well in moderation. But everybody is entitled to their own opinion. This is a hobby sport after all so people can wear what they like.

• Supporters

There are plenty of things in nature which appear as black as black clothes seen in the same light. Think about it; if you saw me in full black BDU next to a puma, in bright sunshine, there would be light grey highlights and hundreds of charcoal shades in various shadowed/different facing bits of my clothing and similarly there would be a variety of faint colours, probably shades of brown, revealed in the puma's fur, but in deep shadow we would both be as indistinguishable from shadow behind as each other.

• Supporters

Ian, stop being so pedantic lol.

The phrase means things like foliage and things you'd try and blend in with. So basically anything, apart from buildings, other man made stuff, animals, and other people.

You're not going to try and blend in with a Puma...

• Supporters

Shut up Craig <_<

• Supporters

Ian, stop being so pedantic lol.

The phrase means things like foliage and things you'd try and blend in with. So basically anything, apart from buildings, other man made stuff, animals, and other people.

You're not going to try and blend in with a Puma...

My point, Ed, is that black clothing is no more "black" than anything else which is black, like deep shadow, which includes that found in forests as well as buildings. So 'koff!

Camo is only useful if you have the movement, stealth and concealment skills, first and foremost. The camo just tricks the eye. The less movement you make, the less you will be spotted. Stay out of eye level view, and stay in the blind spots of the eye.

Black camo works, as long as you stay out of typical lines of 'sight' and remain stationary as much as possible. The brain is programmed to recognise human form. Black promotes human form. Nothing black that moves, is natural apart from a few hunting cats (panthers, pumas) which use speed rather than stealth.

Remember your colours. You have primary, secondary and tertiary. Khaki or Olive Green would be much better, as those colours are secondary, possibly tertiary, meaning that the blend of colours to make it, make it more natural to the eye. The reason why DPM and those types of camo work is because it uses secondary and tertiary blends. It takes the brain and eye much longer to recognise blends of colour than the one colour. Tell me how many colours multicam is, and you will not be able to in time before being shot.

Anything solid and primary colour, or pure black/pure white will just make you look like a pop tart on a thermal scope, unless you are extremely good at mimicking shadows and light, rather than human form.

• Supporters

Cammouflage is much more complex than its' colouration, and it involves more than pattern recognition also, for eg depth perception is skewed by a reversal of expected highlight and shadow which forms the base of many animal's fur/hair - so that bellies can be pure white even though that colour is never seen. There is also speculation that the celtic use of blue woad and going into battle naked in their paint may have acted in a similar way - i forget the deets now, but that shade of blue is difficult for the eye/brain to process against backgrounds accurately. It's counter-intuitive though, eh? You'd imagine that wearing blue camo in daylight conditions would make you stand out like the taliban at a gay pride march, but maybe not...

Anyhoo, I'm not getting my black loadout with camouflage in mind primarily, even though i expect it to be effective at night, but rather for the aggressive & cool look. I'm going to get an assault hood for my S10 too!

• Supporters

Prepare to sweat to death.

Yeah, that is going to be an issue. I'm finding the Viper black UBACS I bought pretty warm to wear on its own. I think I may end up putting some black velcro on the sleeves of a black mesh Bauer ice hockey shirt I have and wearing that under my RICAS

Archived